Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 05:06 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,827,269 times

Advertisements

Miscegenation: "Laws banning "race-mixing" were enforced in Nazi Germany (the Nuremberg Laws) until 1945, in certain U.S. states from the Colonial era until 1967 and in South Africa during the early part of the Apartheid era. All these laws primarily banned marriage between spouses of different racially or ethnically defined groups, which was termed "amalgamation" or "miscegenation" in the U.S. The laws in Nazi Germany and many of the U.S. states, as well as South Africa, also banned sexual relations between such individuals..." (Link)

Yeah, it is a terrible idea to let people be free to choose and mix, as evident with some of the idols mentioned above. Miscegenation must be a crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2010, 06:38 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,576,037 times
I dont have a problem with race or diversity as long as YOU GET WITH THE CULTURE of the country you reside in.

My parents are from India and ***** and moan about how much nicer it is there. It pisses me off. My Muslim friends mom talks about how they have to make America a Muslim country. My grandma lives in Canada and talks about how much it sucks and she dislikes it but yet she gets a nice pension of 500 bucks a month having NEVER worked a day in her life in Canada.

They come to these countries and then hold on to their motherland like no tomorrow. WAH! THE US AND CANADA SUCKS! WAHHHH!!!!! Someone here said it best. A country that is full of people loyal to other countries is a country that is about to fall apart.

Oh and PS-BEFORE you come to this country, LEARN ENGLISH.

Old 03-16-2010, 06:48 PM

11,346 posts, read 16,711,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
I dont have a problem with race or diversity as long as YOU GET WITH THE CULTURE of the country you reside in.

My parents are from India and ***** and moan about how much nicer it is there. It pisses me off. My Muslim friends mom talks about how they have to make America a Muslim country. My grandma lives in Canada and talks about how much it sucks and she dislikes it but yet she gets a nice pension of 500 bucks a month having NEVER worked a day in her life in Canada.

They come to these countries and then hold on to their motherland like no tomorrow. WAH! THE US AND CANADA SUCKS! WAHHHH!!!!! Someone here said it best. A country that is full of people loyal to other countries is a country that is about to fall apart.

Divide and conquer. That's the goal of the PC Police. A multicutural society cannot survive. What made the USA a great nation was pretty much a single goal. Become an American and live the American dream.

"Every immigrant who comes here should be required within five years to learn English or leave the country" Theodore Roosevelt

There can be no 50-50 Americanism in this country. There is room here for only 100% Americanism, only for those who are Americans and nothing else" Theodore Roosevelt

Old 03-16-2010, 06:58 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,576,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBsr View Post
Divide and conquer. That's the goal of the PC Police. A multicutural society cannot survive. What made the USA a great nation was pretty much a single goal. Become an American and live the American dream.

"Every immigrant who comes here should be required within five years to learn English or leave the country" Theodore Roosevelt

There can be no 50-50 Americanism in this country. There is room here for only 100% Americanism, only for those who are Americans and nothing else" Theodore Roosevelt
I disagree with what you say about "A multicutural society cannot survive." I am the first generation daughter from an immigrant Indian family. I am no different than my white friends and buddies. We have the single goal and that is to be proud of the red, white and blue and BE PROUD to say we are Americans. I am not clinging on to India or whatnot. I love this country and always will.

I think immigrants should be able to prove that they took at least 2-3 years of English schooling BEFORE coming to the US. And yes. There is only room for being American. Not crying about your homeland like India or China or some other 3rd world country.

Old 03-16-2010, 07:04 PM

11,346 posts, read 16,711,567 times
Quote:
I disagree with what you say about "A multicutural society cannot survive." I am the first generation daughter from an immigrant Indian family. I am no different than my white friends and buddies. We have the single goal and that is to be proud of the red, white and blue and BE PROUD to say we are Americans. I am not clinging on to India or whatnot. I love this country and always will.

I think immigrants should be able to prove that they took at least 2-3 years of English schooling BEFORE coming to the US. And yes. There is only room for being American. Not crying about your homeland like India or China or some other 3rd world country.
"Multicutural" society as in separation. The new immigrant today has no desire to become an American. I work with many people who came from different lands and just about all of them at one time will say "my country" and not referring to the USA.

Old 03-16-2010, 07:10 PM

6,084 posts, read 6,047,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianPilgrim View Post
I'm a Canadian living in Toronto, one of the most diverse cities on earth. Unfortunately, this has led to several problems developing, most of which are dead on to the Harvard study that was the focus of the OP.

I currently live in a high rise in a Russian Jewish neighbourhood with significant Filipino, Korean, and Chinese communities. While I have made some great friends, I'm a friendly guy that likes to learn, I have noticed that there is definitely less civic pride, charity, giving and trust in my neighbourhood. People seem afraid to say hello, and live hunkered down in their units. Language barriers are very common which make it that much more difficult to interact with each other. In addition, there is a fair amount of anti-semitism as some minorities take it upon themselves to continue their self-declared wars in my backyard. Not only that. but the Koreans despise the Chinese, the Russians taunt the Koreans, and the Muslims pretty much hate everybody.

What I find lacking in most of arrivals I have met is an appreciation of Canadian values and culture. It is offensive when teaching at an ESL class and the muslim students refuse to stand for the Canadian anthem. It is offensive when the Chinese ask for bribes to properly do their jobs. It is offensive when the russian kids blast their crappy techno music at night in the parking lot. Okay the last one I kid, but what I am trying to say is that each culture in my diverse neighbourhood have values that contradict those of Canada.

Now I have full faith in the power of western culture to break down these barriers and make Canadians of us all, but this takes time and concerted effort, both of which are not being done. By opening the flood gates to (mostly refugee) immigrants we are destroying the national fabric. We need to slow down immigration to allow those that come here to adapt and become part of Canada.

It is not the responsibility of Canada to change for the immigrants but for the immigrants to respect and adopt Canadian values. Otherwise, why leave your native country only to replicate it in Canada? To not oppose these changes is not the spirit of enlightment and diversity but rather a slow death for your own culture and values.

Racial diversity does not preclude civic nationalism but it makes it much harder. In Canada were are very PC and the Human Rights Commission prosecutes thought crimes and makes it an offense to offend, which in turn I find offensive.
I used to go to Toronto quite frequently.

I must say I was surprised by how the rude the immigrant Canadians were, even by east coast US standards.

I did find the more assimilated, more Canadized (if there is such a thing) very easy going.

I heard Canada revised its immigration laws, making it harder to immigrate unless one has meets certain labor requirements and only allowing close family members for family sponsorship.

Old 03-16-2010, 08:15 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,918,564 times
Quote:

Too bad that privilege wasn't extended to all races, even those who were born in this country and spoke English. Maybe if that was the case, America wouldn't have to bend over to accustom to all sorts of foreign cultures (and self-destructive subcultures) in order to assuage its own guilt.

But if nothing else, at least the excuse for multiple separatist cultures existing in America is more explainable. As for Canada, I really don't see the excuse behind sticking with one's own culture to the extent of despising to assimilate to the current country. I mean, did Canada have 300 years of slavery and 100 proceeding years of racial discrimination? Did Canada have a racial-based policy with hiring to the extent it's neighbor to the South did? Did Canada stress its country to be exclusively "Anglo-Saxon?" Did Canada have forcefully segregated neighborhoods, restaurants, and schools? Did Canada have internment camps and "targeted airline screening" during wartimes?

Didn't think so!

Quote:

What I think you mean is multiracial. A country that has a unified culture, language, and vision can survive while being multiracial, multi-religious, and with mixed sexual preferences. This is what I would ultimately love to see (and to be honest, what should be happening today); a neighborhood with interracial, interfaith, and homosexual couples of all combinations but with a common language, vision, and national allegiance.

But if there are "people of the native culture" who are resistant to nearly all who aren't like them in every way, along with people who immigrate to this country but will not take any effort to learn to assimilate (and I don't mean hating the country's scapegoat minority, something that many immigrants today have no problem doing), you have at best self-segregation, and a bottle keg waiting to happen in the worst case scenario.

This is not to say that diversity in itself is bad. But here's the thing: If you want to experience different cultures and customs, then get off your a**, buy some plane tickets, and TRAVEL! Hell, there are even different cultures in this country that one can gain insight and widen their perspective from. And besides, "ethnic food" is always the best in the place of it's origin

Old 03-16-2010, 11:31 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,633,067 times
Americans should be obsessed with obesity.

Old 03-17-2010, 01:07 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,956,590 times
Divide and conquer is exactly what they are doing. However, multiculturalism isn't bad when you have pluralism.

Quote:

Old 03-17-2010, 10:42 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,559,850 times
Quote:

Kind of what I've been saying. It all sounds PERFECTLY reasonable to me (your points, that is)....and, I might add, I can't find a single instance in your posts which sound 'mean', xenophobic, or racist. It's simply an appeal to common sense; i.e., if you're going to immigrate to a country, make sure it's one you'll like. Once having done that, it's your moral obligation to begin showing some sort of respect. If you find this isn't possible, then what does it say about YOU? What kind of person remains indefinitely, voluntarily, in a place he basically hates or dislikes?

That's not being judgemental....it's simply common sense.

Lots of wisdom here...and thanks for making your points.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies