Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 09:12 PM

99 posts, read 151,325 times

Advertisements

I may get shut down for this. But it's a legit question. My family does not use the n-word. My half-sister called me because her son's school has a no tolerance policy on race issues. I'm sure most schools do. You get a detention if you use a racial slur. However, her son was called the n-word by another black student(not in an endearing way). He reported it to his white teacher. She ask him why he was upset because they both were black and wouldn't let him report it. My nephew was very upset and so was my sister. She feels like the teacher in fact called him a n-. I told her maybe it wasn't racism, just ignorance on the teacher's part. Needless to say she's mad at me now! She hasn't had any problems with the teacher this year. She wants to go to the school board. If you've had similar issues, tell me how you've dealt with it. Please no mean comments. Give me something I can let her read.

She thinks I don't understand because I'm mixed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2009, 09:20 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,446,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVOBAMA View Post
I may get shut down for this. But it's a legit question. My family does not use the n-word. My half-sister called me because her son's school has a no tolerance policy on race issues. I'm sure most schools do. You get a detention if you use a racial slur. However, her son was called the n-word by another black student(not in an endearing way). He reported it to his white teacher. She ask him why he was upset because they both were black and wouldn't let him report it. My nephew was very upset and so was my sister. She feels like the teacher in fact called him a n-. I told her maybe it wasn't racism, just ignorance on the teacher's part. Needless to say she's mad at me now! She hasn't had any problems with the teacher this year. She wants to go to the school board. If you've had similar issues, tell me how you've dealt with it. Please no mean comments. Give me something I can let her read.

She thinks I don't understand because I'm mixed.

Hold on why does your sister feel like the teacher called him that? Why is your sister not mad at the kid that said it or the kids parents? The teacher should have let him report it but it seems like your sister is the raciest one going after the white teacher when she should be going after the kid and the kids parents.

Old 12-23-2009, 09:22 PM

1,773 posts, read 1,268,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Queen View Post
Hold on why does your sister feel like the teacher called him that? Why is your sister not mad at the kid that said it or the kids parents? The teacher should have let him report it but it seems like your sister is the raciest one going after the white teacher when she should be going after the kid and the kids parents.
True, but I also think the teacher is in the wrong as well. She/he never should have made excuses just because some blacks call each other that name, that's inexcusable.

Old 12-23-2009, 09:23 PM

18,415 posts, read 19,058,616 times
your sister should be mad at the teacher. if the school has a no tolerance the teacher should have reported it. tell your sister to go talk to the principle.

Old 12-23-2009, 09:23 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,510,121 times
there is a double standard. unfortunately the way it was explained to us by an AA supervisor-- there is a brotherhood among blacks that entitles them to call each other N..... this is done in a joking manner, this privilege however is not and should not be extended to non AA.
on a personal note the double standard is not limited to the N........ word it extends greatly also into behavior. what would get a wasp expelled from school or fired on the job--- is excused for AA.

Old 12-23-2009, 09:24 PM

99 posts, read 151,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Queen View Post
Oh she is. She's mad at everyone!

Old 12-23-2009, 09:25 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,569,595 times
As a party to an interracial marriage for many years, I can tell you that 'condescenscion' can be every bit as insulting and annoying as outright racism; it's just 'nicer'. Either the "n word" is totally forbidden, or it's not; either it's a hateful racial slur, or it's not; it can't be 'both'.

To imply that "you shouldn't MIND being slurred by another of your own race", is equivalent to saying, "you people PROBABLY talk that way to each other all the time". It's insulting and it's a terrible mistake on the part of the teacher.

I'm no big fan of 'zero tolerance', (I'd much prefer common sense). But if you're going to use zero tolerance, then ZERO means ZERO....and the "n" word should be penalized, regardless of who uses it....to excuse 'bad' behavior because the culprit 'probably doesn't know any better', on the basis of race, is every bit as racist as the 'normal' racism of 'cracking down' on people because of race.

Last edited by macmeal; 12-23-2009 at 09:34 PM..

Old 12-23-2009, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedjat View Post
True, but I also think the teacher is in the wrong as well. She/he never should have made excuses just because some blacks call each other that name, that's inexcusable.

No I said the teacher should have let him report it but even if the teacher did not it would have been very easy for the parents to do it. Going after the teacher and making the claim that she feels the teacher called the kid this is stupid and IMO just a way to blame the white teacher instead of the black kid and his family. that is where the anger should sit.

Old 12-23-2009, 09:27 PM

3,004 posts, read 3,890,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
there is a double standard. unfortunately the way it was explianed by an AA supervisor was that there is a brotherhood among blacks that entitles them to call each other N..... this is done in a joking manner, this privilege however is not and should not be extended to non AA.
on a personal note the double standard is not limited to the N........ word it extends greatly also into behavior. what would get a wasp punished in a jiffy is excused for AA.
Well, then, there's the answer. Sounds like it's common practice for black kids to call other black kids n!gger, what with the brotherhood and all. Maybe the white teacher thought she was doing what blacks would want her to do. I guess she got confused.

Old 12-23-2009, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVOBAMA View Post
Oh she is. She's mad at everyone!

Point is she is going after the teacher but not the actual kid that did it. Why? Why is she not going to the board about the kid that actually called him this name? It seems to me from what I am reading anyway that your sister wants to punish the teacher but not the kid that did it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies