Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 08:52 PM

1,332 posts, read 1,990,286 times

Advertisements

I know many people around my age (including myself) that really did not bother with health insurance for many years. We paid out of our pockets whenever we needed care.

I'm talking about the independent business owners. The economics of having a health care plan just did not make sense.

So, with taking care of oneself - Keeping a healthy lifestyle for self and family, brushing our teeth every day, not running to a doctor for any ache or pain....Somehow most of us survived quite well.

So, looking back over 30 years, someone like myself spent about $60,000 - $70,000 on medical care (including needed sugeries). But, it was more practical than getting the insurance plans, that cost about $400/month (even 20 years ago) - That would have cost about $140,000 over 30 years.

And yes, when I paid cash to the doctors/dentists, even for surgeries, they took the cash payments into consideration (the hospitals were the problem, charging about $4,000 - $5,000 for the operating rooms).

But, we had the choice...And, the savings helped.

It is true that perhaps many of us were lucky that nothing catasthropic happened...But, I think that is true for many that do watch what they are doing with their lives.

So, here we are with the new health plan, and the younger generation will not have that choice...Or, am I wrong and there are exceptions?

I imagine that many people that have started businesses, and have had ups and downs in their businesses, will agree that $400, $500 or whatever per month can be a problem. With a small business, believe me, sometimes you barely have money for basics in life....

So, the younger generation may have a hell of a time with this burden if they are starting a new business, or if they are working for a start-up company that may not offer health care.

Now people my age, are going to be supplemented by the younger people. I don't think it's fair.

You're damn right I'm taking it, but it is an unfair situation.

It's ironic...The younger generations were so enthusiastic about this new government...And here we are (the older ones) getting the benefits on this one.

One can say that it is fair that the burden be shared (to help the older generation)...But, I just hope that the formulas (schedule for all of this to come into place) does not dampen opportunity for younger people to start new businesses - especially small, independent businesses.

**I've got to add, (over 40 years of working) that I did have periods in which I was covered, as I sometimes worked for other companies. And I did use the opportunities to take care of some needed problems.

I am curious about others that worked independently (or mostly independent like I did). Do you find this to be similar to your lives? Did you manange to get by with minimum or no coverage?

Last edited by migee; 12-26-2009 at 08:59 PM.. Reason: To clarify facts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2009, 08:57 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,980,467 times
No you didn't pay out of your pockets when "you needed care."

What you are effectively bragging about is paying a doc-n-the box $50 bucks to cure you of the sniffles.

What you really did was roll the dice, and hope a catastrophic injury or illness didn't strike you. Winding up at the hospital door racking up $800K in medical bills you will stiff the medical providers for.

They pass the cost of insurance deabeats on to the taxpayer and the insured in the form of higher premiums.

Old 12-26-2009, 09:02 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post

What you are bragging about is paying a doc-n-the box $50 bucks to cure you of the sniffles.

What you really did was roll the dice, and hope a catastrophic injury or illness didn't strike you. Winding up at the hospital door racking up $800K in medical bills you will stiff the medical providers for.

They pass the cost of insurance deabeats on to the taxpayer and the insured in the form of higher premiums.
Wow, when you're done with your crystal ball, can I borrow it? I'd like to be able to predict how someone I don't know is going to act.

Old 12-26-2009, 09:05 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,466,581 times
I'm 27 and I disagree. First off the bill does have subsidies in it for those who can't afford it. Secondly, the fact that it is extremely hard for someone who is young to obtain health insurance due to the current astronomical costs involved if they are unable to get it through work. Hell its difficult for anyone to afford insurance if they are unable to obtain it through work. Having insurance and the ability to receive preventative care is important regardless if you are in your 20's, 40's 60's or 80's its important. The earlier something is caught, the earlier its treated, and that saves lives as well as $$$. On top of that if something does happen and someone can't afford treatment (regardless of age) everyone else is paying for it as it is. I personally don't think the reform goes far enough, I would have much rather have seen a Public Option, but this is still much better than the status quo and what as being offered by the other side which does virtually nothing to address the uninsured.

Old 12-26-2009, 09:06 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post

What you are bragging about is paying a doc-n-the box $50 bucks to cure you of the sniffles.

I didn't have insurance for 10 years when I first started working. I paid cash for any medical services and that included a few broken bones and hospital trips. Not everyone lives in fear of a high hospital bill.

Not every hospital trip is $800K you know.

Old 12-26-2009, 09:08 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,466,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I didn't have insurance for 10 years when I first started working. I paid cash for any medical services and that included a few broken bones and hospital trips. Not everyone lives in fear of a high hospital bill.

Not every hospital trip is $800K you know.

$800,000? Perhaps not, but well out of reach of your average 20 something? Yes. Also how long ago was that?

Old 12-26-2009, 09:13 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,257,288 times
People need to start thinking of health insurance as a lifelong arrangement. You pay when you're young and receive the benefits as you get older. The only way this will work is if everyone is in the pool, young and old, healthy and sick.

Old 12-26-2009, 09:13 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,664,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by migee View Post
I know many people around my age (including myself) that really did not bother with health insurance for many years. We paid out of our pockets whenever we needed care.

I'm talking about the independent business owners. The economics of having a health care plan just did not make sense.

So, with taking care of oneself - Keeping a healthy lifestyle for self and family, brushing our teeth every day, not running to a doctor for any ache or pain....Somehow most of us survived quite well.

So, looking back over 30 years, someone like myself spent about $60,000 - $70,000 on medical care (including needed sugeries). But, it was more practical than getting the insurance plans, that cost about $400/month (even 20 years ago) - That would have cost about $140,000 over 30 years.

And yes, when I paid cash to the doctors/dentists, even for surgeries, they took the cash payments into consideration (the hospitals were the problem, charging about $4,000 - $5,000 for the operating rooms).

It is true that perhaps many of us were lucky that nothing catasthropic happened...But, I think that is true for many that do watch what they are doing with their lives.

So, here we are with the new health plan, and the younger generation will not have that choice...Or, am I wrong and there are exceptions?

I imagine that many people that have started businesses, and have had ups and downs in their businesses, will agree that $400, $500 or whatever per month can be a problem. With a small business, believe me, sometimes you barely have money for basics in life....

So, the younger generation may have a hell of a time with this burden if they are starting a new business, or if they are working for a start-up company that may not offer health care.

Now people my age, are going to be supplemented by the younger people. I don't think it's fair.

It's ironic...The younger generations were so enthusiastic about this new government...And here we are (the older ones) getting the benefits on this one.

One can say that it is fair that the burden be shared (to help the older generation)...But, I just hope that the formulas (schedule for all of this to come into place) does not dampen opportunity for younger people to start new businesses - especially small, independent businesses.

**I've got to add, (over 40 years of working) that I did have periods in which I was covered, as I sometimes worked for other companies. And I did use the opportunities to take care of some needed problems.

I am curious about others that worked independently (or mostly independent like I did). Do you find this to be similar to your lives? Did you manange to get by with minimum or no coverage?
Yep! Us Baby Boomers are gonna suck you dry! You'll pay into our social security, our medicare and you have to buy your own insurance now. It all started with Obama. None of this was ever coming down the pike before him. Suck it up and pay the sheckels. You're lucky we didn't let you rot in your dirty diapers when you were kids.

Last edited by mohawkx; 12-26-2009 at 10:13 PM..

Old 12-26-2009, 09:15 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,980,467 times
My argument for not mandating car insurance.

I know many good drivers (including myself) that really did not bother with car insurance for many years. We paid out of our pockets whenever we needed a repair.

I'm talking about the independent business owners. The economics of having a car insurance just did not make sense.

So, with taking care of my own car - Driving defensively for self and family, wearing our seat belts, not running to a dealership for any dent or scratch....Somehow most of us survived quite well.

So, looking back over 30 years, someone like myself spent about $60,000 - $70,000 on car repairs (including needed tune ups). But, it was more practical than getting the insurance plans, that cost about $400/month (even 20 years ago) - That would have cost about $140,000 over 30 years.

And yes, when I paid cash to the mechanics, even for collision damage, they took the cash payments into consideration (the dealerships were the problem, charging about $400 - $500 for a repair).

So, here we are with the new care insurance plan, and the good drivers will not have that choice...Or, am I wrong and there are exceptions?

So, the good drivers may have a hell of a time with this burden if they are starting a new business, or if they are working for a start-up company that may not offer health care.

Now people with my driving abilty, are going to be supplemented by the bad drivers. I don't think it's fair.

It's ironic...The good drivers were so enthusiastic about this new government...And here we are (the older ones) getting the benefits on this one.

One can say that it is fair that the burden be shared (to help the older generation)...But, I just hope that the formulas (schedule for all of this to come into place) does not dampen opportunity for good drivers to start new businesses - especially small, independent businesses.

Old 12-26-2009, 09:15 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,528,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by migee View Post
Yes, and lousy drivers are subsidized by safe drivers. That's how insurance works. No, it's not fair, but many things in life aren't fair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies