Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you agree with this tax?
Yes, it's a needed step to reduce emissions, etc. 7 23.33%
Sort of, but it has its flaws 0 0%
No! 23 76.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 05:25 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
I have always been in favor of a higher gas tax that benefits public transportation.
A $1.00 climate tax isn't a bad idea either.

I like it. Sure it will hurt my pocketbook initially but eventually I'd get better public transportation, which I want. It also wouldn't be bad for part of the money to go towards bike lanes and making streets safer for pedestrians and cyclists.

pedestrians have the sidewalks, stay off the streets, and people that ride bikes should not get in the way of vehicles either.

plus if you want this tax, then people who ride bikes should also have to pay a tax upon their bikes every month.

climate tax? next thing you know liberals are going to institute a beathing tax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2010, 05:50 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,125,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
pedestrians have the sidewalks, stay off the streets, and people that ride bikes should not get in the way of vehicles either.

plus if you want this tax, then people who ride bikes should also have to pay a tax upon their bikes every month.

climate tax? next thing you know liberals are going to institute a beathing tax.
I try my hardest to not get in the way of vehicles when I bike, and I'm usually successful, but there are times when I hold up maybe one or two vehicles for one minute. Should I quit biking, therefore depriving me of the majority of my exercise and an excellent short-range transportation option?

Pedestrians do have sidewalks, but they are by no means everywhere. Just look at all the suburbs constructed in the past 30 years with no sidewalks. Should those living in these communities give up walking? What are they going to do for exercise? Join a gym and pay a monthly fee?

Old 01-01-2010, 06:20 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,763,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
(I do not necessarily agree with any part or all of this post)

As a companion to the Climate proposal , I'd like to introduce the gas tax proposal.

According to this proposal:

* In addition to existing taxes, three new taxes would be added to the price of gas, diesel, LPG, natural gas, and kerosene. These will be:

** A $1.00 per gallon infrastructure tax. This will be used exclusively to improve, build, and subsidize public transportation. It will be adjusted annually to the Producer Price Index (PPI).

** A $1.00 per gallon climate tax. This will be used for the purposes as described in my last thread. It will be adjusted annually to the Consumer Price Index (CPI).

** A 25% miscellaneous tax. This will be added per the two other taxes, so if the price before the climate and infrastructure tax is $3.00, and after it $5.00, $1.25 will be added on to it to make $6.25. Revenue from this tax will be used for various purposes, but at least 25% of it will go towards development and subsidies for mixed-use neighborhoods.

What do you think?
The tax should be raised a dollar or so- phased in over 6 years- not to pay for this stuff but to pay to build and maintain the highways and roads- as well as mass transit which would get a percentage of it.

Old 01-01-2010, 06:40 PM

608 posts, read 923,767 times
Considering the economy, no tax is needed on fuel at this time. The far left loons have been trying to push some type of "climate" tax for years now, but all it would do is hurt low wage earners and the trucking industry. Such a tax would also increase costs on anything that requires shipping in the USA also. It's humorous to me how some people justify this stupidity by claiming that even with a much higher tax on fuel, our prices would still be lower than most of Europe. So what! Cheap fuel has helped to drive the US economy for decades. Why try to "fix" something that isn't broken?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies