Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 09:35 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,154,069 times

Advertisements

I routinely check MSNBC.com and FoxNews.com for my news. More often than not, the two websites have vastly different headlines. For example, the major headline on FoxNews.com at the moment is how Janet Napolitano is feeling bipartisan heat for her percieved ineptitude. This is big news considering the danger our nation faces from terrorism. But when you go to MSNBC.com, there's not a single peep about Napolitano except passing references hidden in other intelligence-related articles. How could this so easily go unreported on MSNBC.com?

This, of course, is but one instance of the differences in reporting. It happens all the time, and I can say this confidently because I check both sites multiple times daily.

From my vantage point, I can see why FoxNews is the leader in Cable News. A watered down approach to news is an insult to thinking Americans.

What say you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2010, 09:42 PM

613 posts, read 1,055,750 times
I agree but look at it from this point. All news is extremely bias if something makes obama look bad fox will be all over it msnbc wont even go near it and vice versa. I watch fox though because I believe you should always be critical of who ever is the pres.

Old 01-01-2010, 09:47 PM

687 posts, read 1,948,248 times
Quote:
MSNBC is a cable news channel based in the United States and available in both the US and Canada. Its name is a combination of "Microsoft" and "NBC".[4]

Msnbc.com, a separate company, is the news website for the NBC News family, featuring interactivity and multimedia plus original stories and video which augment the content from NBC News and partners.[5]
Quote:
Although the website msnbc.com and the cable channel MSNBC were launched together in 1996, they have always maintained separate corporate structures and news operations.
MSNBC - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
msnbc.com - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

With that said, the idea that Fox News runs more stories critical of the Obama administration than MSNBC is not unbelievable and should surprise no one.

Old 01-01-2010, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert A View Post
MSNBC - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
msnbc.com - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

With that said, the idea that Fox News runs more stories critical of the Obama administration than MSNBC is not unbelievable and should surprise no one.
It's not surprising. But that's not the point. The point is that MSNBC.com does not tell the entire story. Whether critical or not, FoxNews.com is telling the story as it is.

Do you prefer watered-down news?

Old 01-01-2010, 09:50 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,702,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
But when you go to MSNBC.com, there's not a single peep about Napolitano except passing references hidden in other intelligence-related articles. How could this so easily go unreported on MSNBC.com?
Because it's not a big deal.

If you believe in freedom of the press, I don't see how you can have a problem with different news sites featuring different news stories. What Fox and its viewers consider important might be different from what MSNBC and its viewers consider important. Do you think that only one viewpoint should be allowed?

Old 01-01-2010, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Whether critical or not, FoxNews.com is telling the story as it is.
In your opinion.

Quote:
Do you prefer watered-down news?
Both Fox and MSNBC regularly run the same news stories taken from the Associated Press. They may feature different stories on their home page, but often, the stories are very similar or identical.

Old 01-01-2010, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Because it's not a big deal.

If you believe in freedom of the press, I don't see how you can have a problem with different news sites featuring different news stories. What Fox and its viewers consider important might be different from what MSNBC and its viewers consider important. Do you think that only one viewpoint should be allowed?
I don't see how Freedom of the Press is even a factor into this discussion. News is news, especially when it concerns national security. Cherry-picking the story-line is disingenuous.

Old 01-01-2010, 09:55 PM

Quote:
I don't see how Freedom of the Press is even a factor into this discussion. News is news, especially when it concerns national security. Cherry-picking the story-line is disingenuous.
I think most conservatives - and maybe most Americans - would say that all news is biased one way or the other.

Old 01-01-2010, 09:58 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,720,099 times
Quote:
I routinely check MSNBC.com and FoxNews.com for my news. More often than not, the two websites have vastly different headlines. For example, the major headline on FoxNews.com at the moment is how Janet Napolitano is feeling bipartisan heat for her percieved ineptitude. This is big news considering the danger our nation faces from terrorism. But when you go to MSNBC.com, there's not a single peep about Napolitano except passing references hidden in other intelligence-related articles. How could this so easily go unreported on MSNBC.com?

This, of course, is but one instance of the differences in reporting. It happens all the time, and I can say this confidently because I check both sites multiple times daily.

From my vantage point, I can see why FoxNews is the leader in Cable News. A watered down approach to news is an insult to thinking Americans.

What say you?

Ever consider that, since you have an extremely conservative perspective, you are going to seek news coverage that reinforces your perspecive?

Your example isn't necessarily news and could be seen by others as an example of why no one outside the far right takes Fox seriously as a source of news. The aftermath of the incident was handled quite well by all accounts. The only problem was what she said and the security checkpoints.

So, basically, they're reporting on political jabber and an attempt by the right to gain some political traction (remember - Murdoch readily admitted that Fox is designed to be a biased mouthpiece for the right).

Old 01-01-2010, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I think most conservatives - and maybe most Americans - would say that all news is biased one way or the other.
I would agree with that.

In the example I used in the OP, it's very clear to me which website I would prefer to get my news from. Not because I disagree with the Obama Administration, but because I want to hear about it, even if it's not pretty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies