Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 06:04 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,034,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by puglywump View Post
I'm not looking for sympathy here. I want some right winger to enlighten me as to why it's been ok to spend MY tax dollars on death and destruction, yet I have to listen to them begrudge fellow Americans over what should be a basic right - health care.
Did the person you were arguing with come out and say they would rather pay for war in Iraq than healthcare? If not, you are only making baseless assumptions.

Quote:
Countries DO have certain standards regarding who can emigrate.
Not ours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2010, 06:05 PM

77 posts, read 49,586 times
I served in the military and I did so on my own free will, I didn't do it to protect your freedoms, I didn't do it for my country, I did it for a free roof over my head, damn good health care for my family and to have the best Socialized protection as long as my term lasted. My every need in the Army was met, housing,clothing,education,everything was handed to me on a silver platter. Am I a hero?? Hell no, did I take full advantage of the U.S military? You are damned right, till the day I die my family has full advantage of "Socialized" medicine. Unlike millions who will always be one accident or illness away from bankruptcy.

Old 01-02-2010, 06:07 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,257,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by absolute atheist View Post
I served in the military and I did so on my own free will, I didn't do it to protect your freedoms, I didn't do it for my country, I did it for a free roof over my head, damn good health care for my family and to have the best Socialized protection as long as my term lasted. My every need in the Army was met, housing,clothing,education,everything was handed to me on a silver platter. Am I a hero?? Hell no, did I take full advantage of the U.S military? You are damned right, till the day I die my family has full advantage of "Socialized" medicine. Unlike millions who will always be one accident or illness away from bankruptcy.
and I thank you for your service.

Old 01-02-2010, 06:08 PM

1,179 posts, read 975,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Well they always say don't talk politics, religion, sex, or money in polite company.
Good thing we don't have any of that here.

Old 01-02-2010, 06:11 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Quote:
Intolerant, yes, irrational, no.
So, he had a "cushy desk job", was not actually part of the "death and destruction crowd", served his country anyway, and still you begrudge him his pension and benefits? How is that rational?

Do you mean that only those employed by the DOD who blow people up deserve benefits?

Old 01-02-2010, 06:11 PM

303 posts, read 563,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
"In the right era"? What does that mean? Are you suggesting that there are not enough "secure government jobs" to go around? You do understand that "government jobs" were the only area of the economy that were protected by the stimulus package in any meaningful way aren't you? That would seem to make now "the right era" for a secure government job. If one is a believer in big government, as you appear to be from your posts.

You still haven't answered my other question about the funding of the "death and destruction" of unborn babies that will be required of all taxpayers through the currently passed bills should they become law.

Are you consistent in your outrage or just selective as to what "death and destruction" is acceptable?
I do find the practice of abortion entirely regrettable and it's not cool when it comes down to it. I do hope it is not funded by this health care bill. It's not necessary to include it and will just throw up one more road block. So, yeah, I am consistent but believe in a woman's right to choose. At the same time, unless there is a good reason to abort, I do hope a woman makes the choice for life.

Old 01-02-2010, 06:18 PM

Quote:
So, he had a "cushy desk job", was not actually part of the "death and destruction crowd", served his country anyway, and still you begrudge him his pension and benefits? How is that rational?

Do you mean that only those employed by the DOD who blow people up deserve benefits?
Another poster mentioned that we haven't really fought in a war of necessity since WWII. I agree with that. We didn't have a choice and WWII was the correct thing to do. We've had many choices since and have failed to make the right choices. In this sense, yeah, I do lump at least the higher ups (not those who are maybe naive and well-intentioned) post-WWII as part of the death and destruction crowd, also known as the military-industrial complex. I guess this does include the debater, although I do judge him to be naive in that he is convinced "they" want to kill all of us.

I don't begrudge him his pension and benefits. I DO begrudge his coldness of heart when it comes to his pocketbook and just who he "deems worthy" of what should be a basic right for every American - health care.

Old 01-02-2010, 06:23 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Quote:
I do find the practice of abortion entirely regrettable and it's not cool when it comes down to it. I do hope it is not funded by this health care bill. It's not necessary to include it and will just throw up one more road block. So, yeah, I am consistent but believe in a woman's right to choose. At the same time, unless there is a good reason to abort, I do hope a woman makes the choice for life.
Do you understand that "death and destruction" is also a regrettable part of the defense of our country and that most soldiers would rather not have to take human life unless it is absolutely necessary? Do you think that they enjoy PTSD or the nightmares of looking into the face of someone who's guts are splattered all over, including their compatriots in the same vehicle?

I guess we could just not resist and let our enemy continue to attempt to blow us to bits. This was attempted as recently as Christmas Day over US soil. Is that preferable in your eyes?

Back to your "insurance" argument:

You do realize that people can purchase insurance privately without it being part of any benfit package offered by an employer in "private industry" don't you? That the "45 million uninsured" include illegal aliens and individuals who are capable of purchasing insurance but choose not to?? That Medicad and Medicare are the "stop gap" for those who truely cannot provide for their own healthcare?

Old 01-02-2010, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Do you understand that "death and destruction" is also a regrettable part of the defense of our country and that most soldiers would rather not have to take human life unless it is absolutely necessary? Do you think that they enjoy PTSD or the nightmares of looking into the face of someone who's guts are splattered all over, including their compatriots in the same vehicle?
To this I say "Shock and Awe," baby, delivered to your TV via courtesy of some pretty sick Americans. As to who the sick Americans were, I hold Bushco and the media culpable. Hard to convince me that this was "necessary" for the defense of our country. And I do feel really bad for each soldier that had to be a part of that horror.

Quote:
I guess we could just not resist and let our enemy continue to attempt to blow us to bits. This was attempted as recently as Christmas Day over US soil. Is that preferable in your eyes?
Bush did admit, you realize, that Iraq had nothing to do with 911, right? As to the failed attempt, this wasn't someone from either of the currently occupied countries.

Quote:
Back to your "insurance" argument:

You do realize that people can purchase insurance privately without it being part of any benfit package offered by an employer in "private industry" don't you? That the "45 million uninsured" include illegal aliens and individuals who are capable of purchasing insurance but choose not to?? That Medicad and Medicare are the "stop gap" for those who truely cannot provide for their own healthcare?
What I realize is that I am in serious trouble when my COBRA runs out. And due to my medical history, I am high risk and in this current insurance climate will not be able to purchase insurance (possibly) at ANY price. So, one good thing Bill Clinton did was to implement Portability following COBRA. Yeah, I might go broke paying for catastrophic premiums in the process, but oh well.

Also, there is a site you should check out called "names of the dead." Your fellow Americans whose lives were cut short due to lack of access (for whatever reason) to healthcare.

Old 01-02-2010, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by absolute atheist View Post
Bravo! I thank you BOTH for your service and do take note of your remarkable honesty. And I also take note of your user name (not in a bad way).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies