Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you supportive of a Medicare-for-all system in the U.S.?
Yes 5 13.89%
No 22 61.11%
Maybe 2 5.56%
I need more information 2 5.56%
With some improvements to Medicare, yes 5 13.89%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 02:10 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,086,766 times

Advertisements

Of course Medicare for all would save money because hospital after hospital and doctor after doctor are dropping Medicare. More people will have a harder and harder tme finding anyone to treat them but that's hussein obama's goal after all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 05:50 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,920,241 times
"More broadly, I suspect that the elderly account for half or more of the total health care costs of the entire population."

Not exactly a compelling argument. That isn't to say it isn't correct, only that you can't really prove anything when you start with an assumption one step away from your conclusion.

I don't see how increasing the demand for something--by offering universal coverage--without also dealing with the supply will lower the total cost. Interference with one side without similar interference on the other side will result in significant inefficiencies (as it already does). Free them both (by removing employer incentives, making health insurance more like auto or homeowners insurance, etc.) or control them both (by having government run health care, publicly trained and obligated doctors, etc.) depending on your ideological leaning.

Old 01-04-2010, 09:41 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,690,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poltracker View Post
Not to mention that Medicare payout rates are so ar below par that it is getting harder and harder to find a provider. If all were on Medicare, I imagine we would see the medical profession move down on the list of selections by young Americans.
No kidding

The Mayo Clinic has just announced that it will stop taking Medicare patients at its Arizona clinic. They say they just can't afford it. They lost $840 million last year across all their clinics - just on Medicare alone. That decision may be extended to their other facilities depending on a study they are doing over the next couple years. They say that the 3,000 Medicare patients served at the Arizona clinic will have to pay nearly $2,000 out of pocket if they want to stay with their physicians.

Remember, "if you like the coverage you now have, you will be able to keep it" -- but nobody thought to ask, "Mr. President, how much extra will it cost me?"

Old 01-05-2010, 06:16 PM

6,084 posts, read 6,041,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
purlpe, my love

yes I have read it,, and like most of the garbage that comes out of washington, it is just that garbage

the first thing to remember is that INSURANCE is not CARE

the next thing is to look at ANY of these bills....they do NOTHING to lower or even control the COST of the CARE IT SELF

do any of these bills, or even a SPS going to lower the cost of a xray or mri???..will they lower the cost of the machine itself???...will they lower the pay of the tech working the machine???...will they lower the property taxes on a doctors office, or his electric bill, or supply costs.....NONE at ALL.

should all doctors be paid exactly the same as another......does that even go for when you compare the best doctors with the quacks??????

look at the facts

you and everyone else will say that governent care (ie medicare/medicaid) have lower admin costs....I'll give you that.....

but facts remain...medicare cost 500 BILLION to PARTIALLY cover 45 million.....to cover 310 million (6.88 times) would mean the cost would be AT LEAST 3.4 trillion YEAR

who and, how, would it be paid for?????

the taxes listed would not even pay for 1/10th of it
There has been research done to find out how to deliver the most appropriate and efficient care and this has even been required reading at the White House. Now if and how the research is put into action in health reform is another matter.
Here's a snippet.

"And some of the answers that they gave me were alarming. There were massive numbers of physicians, large numbers of physicians, who were now buying up their own imaging centers, surgical centers. And what they were describing to me was a world where medicine had become a business, where the desire to—there’s always, in any system, a conflict between the way you can make money and the way you can take good care of patients. And the incentives in our healthcare system as a whole have been screwy. With a fee-for-service system, if you do more, you get paid more. That leads to more surgery, more radiology. And you saw it in McAllen. They were doing twice as many heart operations, twice as many pacemaker placements. And home healthcare spending was through the roof. There was a sense in which the culture of medicine had gone to an extreme that we don’t want to approach as a country."

Old 01-05-2010, 06:19 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,454,732 times
Yes, if "unlimited" slush funds "save" money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies