Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 11:53 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
Of course hard-working students hate it. What's your point? What does that have to do with the redistribution of tax revenues??? I don't see any relation whatsoever.
Seriously??? You can't make the connection?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 11:57 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,788,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Seriously??? You can't make the connection?
Not at all. They are completely different scenarios. I'll bet you can't even explain it.

Old 01-07-2010, 12:08 PM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
Not at all. They are completely different scenarios. I'll bet you can't even explain it.
Grades:
Hard workers earn top grades; slackers earn low grades through lack of effort. Group projects 'level' the grades of both to a mediocre point. The hard worker ends up with less than (s)he's earned; the slacker ends up with more than (s)he's earned.

Tax revenue redistribution:
Hard workers earn a lot of money; slackers don't want to work as hard as they need to to get to the point where they earn a lot of money. Tax revenue redistribution 'levels' the resources to a mediocre point. The hard worker ends up with less resources than (s)he's earned; the slacker ends up with more resources than (s)he's earned.

The slackers are rewarded for slacking. The hard workers are penalized for working hard. Notice how under this system, nearly everyone ends up with a mediocre level of services. Kind of like what we have now. Get it? It's not so hard to understand.

Note: this applies to actual slackers, not those who are legitimately incapacitated and have a real need for unearned support.

Old 01-07-2010, 04:31 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,951,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arielmina View Post
what about those who do work in good jobs in corporate America, but they don't have healthcare because their small employers don't offer it? or those who are "uninsurable" due to pre-existing conditions? What did they do or not do to deserve that?
You buy it privately. My wife and I did when the workplace didn't offer it or the plans they did offer were overpriced or lacking.

As for pre-existing, why should an insurance company give the same rate to someone who does not? Shouldn't those people pay more for their plans? I mean, insurance works based on a principal of risk and a pre-existing condition isn't a risk anymore, its a guarantee payout.

Do you also expect the car insurance company to pay for a totaled vehicle before the person gets the insurance? Is that reasonable?

As for deserve, people do not deserve a lot of things that happen in life which are the fault of none, but what you are suggesting is taking and putting that fault on another. Do they deserve to get stuck with the bill? why?

Old 01-07-2010, 04:55 PM

5,238 posts, read 8,793,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPATTA2D View Post
Debating is always fun, and we all learn from it. Over the break we hosted family. I have a young niece in her third year of college. While debating the pros and cons of healthcare, she became quite vocal. I am opposed to the plan, and she of course thinks it is a right.

I hit her with my trump card and I think she finally saw my point of view for the first time: Lets share grades. She is a hard worker and studys hard. I asked her how much of her GPA she was willing to give up so that her slacker friends could still graduate. She made it clear that she worked hard for her grades and that her friend could just fail. After a couple more minutes of banter it hit her.

How about it? How many of you shared your GPA for the less fortunate?
Can you die if you don't have access to grades? Can you buy and sell grades? Is there a multi-billion dollar grade industry? If I share my grades with my mother, will it cure her cancer? Cause I'd gladly share whatever I have for that to happen.

Old 01-07-2010, 06:23 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,111,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
You buy it privately. My wife and I did when the workplace didn't offer it or the plans they did offer were overpriced or lacking.

As for pre-existing, why should an insurance company give the same rate to someone who does not? Shouldn't those people pay more for their plans? I mean, insurance works based on a principal of risk and a pre-existing condition isn't a risk anymore, its a guarantee payout.

Do you also expect the car insurance company to pay for a totaled vehicle before the person gets the insurance? Is that reasonable?

As for deserve, people do not deserve a lot of things that happen in life which are the fault of none, but what you are suggesting is taking and putting that fault on another. Do they deserve to get stuck with the bill? why?
I honestly don't even know how to talk to someone who thinks that it is okay for a child to die because they were born with a disability and their parents can't afford 10s of thousands of dollars a year for insurance...most of which would not cover the pre-existing disability anyhow. I've worked a lifetime and am now retired. I look around my comfortable little home and can't see a single thing I own that would be worth that child's life. How do you measure the worth of a life? I don't know and I don't know how to talk to people who do.

Old 01-07-2010, 08:02 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
No, not slackers, but they choose to "stay" there.

Before you jump to conclusions, I worked those types of jobs in my past. I read books to increase skills that would allow me to get better paying jobs. Once I made better money, I paid myself through school.

There is nothing wrong with those who do work those jobs, but there is something wrong with those who work them and never make efforts to move out of them if they are concerned about the level of condition their work is.

When it comes down to it, the result is the choice of the individual.

And by the way, your argument is an emotional appeal, not a valid position in the issue.

Someone's hardship does not justify the forcing of others. That is... involuntary servitude.
First off, the people who are working these jobs right now should be able to access health care affordably. It doesn't matter whether they are planning to "better" themselves in the future, they need health care here and now.

Secondly, there are some people who will have to do jobs such as this all their working lives. Perhaps they just don't have the smarts to go on to higher education. They should be able to access health care affordably.

Finally, regarding emotional appeal, so is the idea of sharing GPA.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:41 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:

How about this situation:

Person is born with a genetic disorder through no fault of their own. If they get their medication, they are fully functioning, tax paying members of society. If they do not get their medication, they become lethargic and end up going on disability, effectively being supported by tax payers WITHOUT paying back into the system.

Which would you choose for that person?

I am more than happy to donate part of my pay (and I do, voluntarily as well as being taxed) to help out my fellow man.

Old 01-07-2010, 10:34 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,573,373 times
Quote:
Where is the:

Math (At least calculus)
Physics (calculus based)
Chemistry
Logic (specifically, not a side focus such as eastern philosophy)

You have to get those in somewhere. Even if they are elective general ed. Honestly, I think it should be a requirement for all university level education to require those topics with any major.

Now do those and then get back to me on how you would like to share your grade. Those topics you have to work for.

My math and physics classes had a 60% failure rate. Sharing my grades which I bled through to earn is not even a consideration.
Oh, I have had my fair share of Math and all of them.

Logic? A
Chemistry? B+
Physics-B+
Math-B

I am going for a math minor

Oh and before you go about wanting me to share my grade, OF COURSE NOT! I am against illegal immigration. I am double minded on Health care and VERY VERY much AGAINST welfare unless TRUE need is shown.

Old 01-07-2010, 10:36 PM

721 posts, read 1,794,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPATTA2D View Post
Debating is always fun, and we all learn from it. Over the break we hosted family. I have a young niece in her third year of college. While debating the pros and cons of healthcare, she became quite vocal. I am opposed to the plan, and she of course thinks it is a right.

I hit her with my trump card and I think she finally saw my point of view for the first time: Lets share grades. She is a hard worker and studys hard. I asked her how much of her GPA she was willing to give up so that her slacker friends could still graduate. She made it clear that she worked hard for her grades and that her friend could just fail. After a couple more minutes of banter it hit her.

How about it? How many of you shared your GPA for the less fortunate?
Are you kidding? You can't compare something as arbitrary as grades to something as serious health care. Everyone is entitled medicine.

Your analogy is more backwards than your political ideology.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies