Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 08:57 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,474,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
I thought racism was about exclusion not inclusion.
People frequently like to see how far they can stretch the definition of the word "Racism". I guess everyone is entitled to their own interpretation of the English language, but my interpretation is that racism is about neither inclusion nor exclusion, unless you're talking about the inclusive/exclusive acts of a government.

rac·ism [rey-siz-uhm]
–noun
1. a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.
2. a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.
3. hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.

If someone just didn't want to live around other races, I don't know if that qualifies as intolerance. There's a difference in preferring something and tolerating something. If someone refused to live around other races, then it makes sense that you'd call them a racist.

Also, if someone wants to live with a diverse group of races, I don't see how that could be racist. While I personally frown upon the idea of making life decisions based on race, I don't understand how that would imply hatred or intolerance of other races.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2007, 09:14 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,469,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
If one chooses a racially diverse area because he feels racial diversity is superior to a racially homogenous area, then that is indeed racially prejudiced. If one is to insist that character and race are unrelated, then he cannot on the other hand choose an area based on race - whether such a choice involves one or all races.
Every neighborhood has a racial makeup of some sort. What you call an argument makes moving anywhere into an act of racial prejudice. Which is the whole point of the You-Do-It-Too defense, and it is still hooey. Just a bunch of concocted cover-up and excusification.

There is no equivalency between the statement I would prefer to live in an all-white area and the statement I would prefer to live in a diverse area. Unless, that is, you would contend that prefering not to live among a bunch of racists is itself an example of racism. And I certainly wouldn't put that past some folks. Otherwise, the first statement exhibits high racist content, and the second exhibits zero racist content.

Old 05-23-2007, 10:03 AM

125 posts, read 471,853 times
How about wanting to live in a neighborhood because the houses are well kept and there are children, any type of children, playing on the sidewalks, and people, any type of people, waving hello and smiling as you pass by?

Old 05-23-2007, 10:39 AM

1,608 posts, read 9,744,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justone321 View Post
How about wanting to live in a neighborhood because the houses are well kept and there are children, any type of children, playing on the sidewalks, and people, any type of people, waving hello and smiling as you pass by?
Are we talking Leave it Beaver here? I don't think people have much time for that anymore it seems. Everyone's in a hurry. Don't you know that it takes too long to wave and smile these days??

Old 05-23-2007, 12:22 PM

786 posts, read 4,732,192 times
I think most White people would love to live in a Leave it to Beaver all White Town but we are being conditioned to believe that we are racist for wanting to live in a place like that. So we use other criteria like school test scores and crime, which is just another way of saying we do not want to live in a place where people are from 3rd World Nations.

Old 05-23-2007, 05:28 PM

What does waving hello, and smiling to your neighbor have to do with being "WHITE"? Are White people the only ones who live in middle class neighborhoods? Do white people NOT commit crimes? Are WHITE people the only ones who have well kept houses (or not)? It is only racist when you believe that people of other races should not have the right to purchase a home and live happily next to yours because they are not the color you want them to be.

Old 05-23-2007, 07:46 PM

90 posts, read 264,571 times
Remember some of us do not like what someones action are, not what race they are.

Old 05-23-2007, 11:52 PM

428 posts, read 2,439,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebuilder View Post
Remember some of us do not like what someones action are, not what race they are.
Thank you for saying that for me.
It's not race, it's culture, i.e., Behavior.
When someone lives down to their stereotype, well, don't get mad at someone who notices it, be angry at the bad behavior, and maybe even the person who is behaving badly.

Old 05-24-2007, 12:09 AM

428 posts, read 2,439,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justone321 View Post
What does waving hello, and smiling to your neighbor have to do with being "WHITE"? Are White people the only ones who live in middle class neighborhoods? Do white people NOT commit crimes? Are WHITE people the only ones who have well kept houses (or not)? It is only racist when you believe that people of other races should not have the right to purchase a home and live happily next to yours because they are not the color you want them to be.
Certainly whites commit crimes, but if I notice a white guy doing some bad behavior, he's not going to call me a racist, is he? He might call me a B, but he's not gonna call me a racist B. The word is over- and misused, and I'm really tired of it.

Old 05-24-2007, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missyM View Post
Thank you for saying that for me.
It's not race, it's culture, i.e., Behavior.
When someone lives down to their stereotype, well, don't get mad at someone who notices it, be angry at the bad behavior, and maybe even the person who is behaving badly.
Lives DOWN to their stereotype? What is the stereotype of white people? So what if someone's culture is different than yours, can they not still wave and smile at you and not be exactly like you? What if you put more energy into trying to be a kind, good hearted person, instead of trying to fit everyone who is not like you into stereotypes. What would happen then? There are different cultures even within the white race. I'm just saying, if it's not race, then it's culture, if not culture, then it's religion, if not religion, then it's gender, etc. There will always be an excuse to fear/hate, just concentrate on enjoying your life and time on this earth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies