Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 08:48 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,419,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelist in Atlanta View Post
Obviously you will discredit anything anyone says about intelligence. So let's look at achievement. Academic achievement is the result of intelligence. These kids in Washington DC schools go to the same schools, they live in the same neighborhoods and they all come from the same socio-economic background:

". . . what remains embedded in the latest numbers from the National Assessment of Educational Progress is the persistent achievement gap between African American and white students both locally and nationally. The average scores of white D.C. fourth-graders over the past two years grew from 262 to 270 (on a scale of 500), but their African American peers' rose just three points, from 209 to 212. The achievement gap actually grew between 2007 and 2009, from 53 to 58 points."

Behind D.C. schools' math gains, racial gap persists - washingtonpost.com

- Reel
I will not discredit "anything to do with intelligence", but I will discredit clearly racist crap and junk science.

Apperently you refused to note that the very statistics you've chosen disproves your assumption that intelligence is tied to race.

If this was the case, then there would've ALWAYS been a huge gap, and no rise in the black group.

A perfect example of 1. junk science (in you attempting to use it to justify your scewed opinion), and 2. the damage that Affirmative Action and the entitlist mentality forwarded by Sharpton and his ilk are doing to this Nation's black youth.

BTW, one absolutely glaring lack in the article? NO attempts were made to seperate out generally underachieving schools and those who are in fact teaching their students. Schools in poor innercity areas hsitorically do worse. The statistics cleary state that it is a DC wide survey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2010, 08:53 PM

Quote:
That's it? That's your argument? Where is any substance? What is it that is wrong about these studies and why? You won't win any debates by simply saying that they are 'bunk'.

- Reel
Read the studies, not the titles.

Old 01-10-2010, 09:05 PM

1,718 posts, read 2,302,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
I will not discredit "anything to do with intelligence", but I will discredit clearly racist crap and junk science.
Ok, all the testing indicates a one standard deviation difference between white and black average test scores.

Apperently you refused to note that the very statistics you've chosen disproves your assumption that intelligence is tied to race.

If this was the case, then there would've ALWAYS been a huge gap, and no rise in the black group.
This makes no sense. You are saying that if I am less intelligent than you then there is no way that I can improve my performance? You are saying that if I improve my score then that constitutes proof that I am not less intelligent than you are? It just makes no sense, it doesn't follow, it's not logical.

A perfect example of 1. junk science (in you attempting to use it to justify your scewed opinion),
Yeah, you've already said that. It's not an argument. It isn't so just because you say it is.

and 2. the damage that Affirmative Action and the entitlist mentality forwarded by Sharpton and his ilk are doing to this Nation's black youth.
I agree.

BTW, one absolutely glaring lack in the article? NO attempts were made to seperate out generally underachieving schools and those who are in fact teaching their students. Schools in poor innercity areas hsitorically do worse. The statistics cleary state that it is a DC wide survey.
The same achievement gaps exists in each individual school. I read a recent report on testing done at Fairfax High Shool. Same school, same neighborhoods, same socio-economic background, same achievement gap.
Schools in poor inner city areas historically do worse largely because of the quality of the student body.

- Reel

Old 01-10-2010, 09:20 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,618,096 times
Quote:
Schools in poor inner city areas historically do worse largely because of the quality of the student body.

- Reel
No, not because of the student body but because of the culture of poverty.

Old 01-10-2010, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Ok, all the testing indicates a one standard deviation difference between white and black average test scores.

This makes no sense. You are saying that if I am less intelligent than you then there is no way that I can improve my performance? You are saying that if I improve my score then that constitutes proof that I am not less intelligent than you are? It just makes no sense, it doesn't follow, it's not logical.

Yeah, you've already said that. It's not an argument. It isn't so just because you say it is.

The same achievement gaps exists in each individual school. I read a recent report on testing done at Fairfax High Shool. Same school, same neighborhoods, same socio-economic background, same achievement gap.

- Reel
If you were attempting to show that blacks have an inferior intelligence, you have failed.

The problem that inner city schools have is indeed due to the student body, and the culture they live in, not their basic intelligence level.

You've shown me nothing new and what you ahve shown me fails jsut as ahrd as on every other forum this crap junk science has been introduced.

Old 01-10-2010, 09:25 PM

1,975 posts, read 5,220,627 times
Quote:
Where is your proof?

You made the assertion, you prove it.

I've seen so much junk science I ahve no idea where to begin dismantling your racist views.

So, pony up your junk science, then we can proceed.
Well the Noble prize winning scientist who pioneered DNA study agrees with what abbie111 & Reelist are saying. Is he a junk scientist?

Fury at DNA pioneer's theory: Africans are less intelligent than Westerners - Science, News - The Independent

These also support abbie111's & Reelist's point and are backed by scientists. So are all these experts really racist who push bad science?

Racial Differences in Intelligence: What Mainstream Science Says.

Race differences in average IQ are largely genetic

Old 01-10-2010, 09:40 PM

1,718 posts, read 2,302,482 times
Quote:
If you were attempting to show that blacks have an inferior intelligence, you have failed.

The problem that inner city schools have is indeed due to the student body, and the culture they live in, not their basic intelligence level.

You've shown me nothing new and what you ahve shown me fails jsut as ahrd as on every other forum this crap junk science has been introduced.
Friend, all you do is make statements such as 'that's junk science' or 'you have failed'. Nowhere have you provided any arguments to refute my arguments and nowhere have you provided any arguments to support your statements.

How do you expect to convince me or anyone else if you provide nothing for us to consider? It doesn't appear as though there is anything to be gained by continuing this conversation.

- Reel

Old 01-10-2010, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Lakes View Post
Well the Noble prize winning scientist who pioneered DNA study agrees with what abbie111 & Reelist are saying. Is he a junk scientist?

Fury at DNA pioneer's theory: Africans are less intelligent than Westerners - Science, News - The Independent

These also support abbie111's & Reelist's point and are backed by scientists. So are all these experts really racist who push bad science?

Racial Differences in Intelligence: What Mainstream Science Says.

Race differences in average IQ are largely genetic
First link...

When one's findings are published and do not stand up to simple peer review, that's called an "opinon", not a fact. Watson's work is neither widely accepted nor stands up to simple peer review, and builds upon the "work" of the people in the next two links.

Second link...

Apperently you do not recall, or saw, my earlier comment on studies in Africa using western IQ tests. This was the incident I was speaking of. Anyone who has had any dealing with IQ tests know how little one can depend on them for accuracy, and that cultural differences alone, let alone poor education, can skew the results badly.

Third link...

J. Philippe Rushton is president of the Pioneer Research group, an organization listed as a hate group by a few sources, and also speaks at confrences of the "American Renaissance Magazine". He wrote an article for the "Ottowa Citizen" which blamed the destruction of "Toronto the good" on blacks. Can you say "ulterior motive" and pseudoscience?
J. Philippe Rushton - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Arthur R. Jensen mirrors Rushton to a T, and also bases his pseudoscience on IQ tests.

So, what has been offered to date is, again, nothing new. It all amounts to racists attempting to justify their bigotry.

Old 01-10-2010, 10:30 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,246,833 times
Quote:
You made no sence whatsoever.
What I am saying is all races are equally intelligent, percentage wise then why do we need to cheat the system? If we want more of a given race why not just take applicants from said race and hire the best who take the test? Why eliminate any quality control to simply fill the quota. I mean no matter how you do it, is blatantly racist and discriminates against all others anyway. But then that's what all quota systems do. They hire based on race or sex rather than qualification.

Old 01-10-2010, 10:43 PM

270 posts, read 657,127 times
I don't know what it is, but nearly everywhere the black man goes quickly turns to crap a short time later. If I see more than a few blacks, I just keep on going. If I saw more than 5 blacks at a school, I'd send my kids somewhere else. They have no desire to peacefully co-exist alongside white people. The government refuses to deal with the issues that arise. The best way to deal with these situations is simply to avoid them. Move somewhere else. Chicago is too damn cold anyway.

Many parts of the US and France are destined to become little South Africas. Fortunately, the US is very big and for the next few hundred years I suspect it will be possible to simply move away from the problems that always arise when blacks show up
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies