Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 03:13 AM

1,688 posts, read 4,299,889 times

Advertisements

The New England Firefighters won their case, thank goodness. I'm so glad I graduated college before all this NAACP business started because you know they will require x % of the graduating class in the Honor Roll to be whatever. It will get that bad. When I call 911 to have them send the EMTs to my house because my young child stopped breathing, I don't want the person whom was hired because of their race; I want the best (whomever that may be).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2010, 09:08 AM

1,700 posts, read 3,424,829 times
It's just like the NYFD getting recommendations by Black firefighting organizations to only hire 60% Blacks and Hispanics and only 40% other. Other being White, Asian, Indian whatever. The fact that the NYFD is looking seriously at this at all shows how insane things have gotten.

Old 01-10-2010, 01:50 PM

59,088 posts, read 27,318,346 times
And NFL teams HAVE to interview at least one minority before any vacany position can be filled.

Old 01-10-2010, 01:58 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Affirmative Action and minority preferences will be the downfall of this country.
Color, race, gender over skill and experience lands people jobs these days and I believe it's more pronounced in government work or government contract work.

I'm a girl and I've turned down opportunities at my company because I knew my name was put forward to play the "girl" card rather than my name put forward because of my skills.

I'm a programmer (20 years systems programmer) and I'm a girl. In this field that is a minority and I have to work hard to make sure I really do earn my way and not get it handed to me. I've seen what happens when it does...you are shunned by your peers and cannot pull your weight.

Oh it looks good on HR reports for minority workers but back in the trenches they all know what's going on. No one wants to work with someone who is a "token" and nothing more.

Old 01-10-2010, 02:00 PM

980 posts, read 1,147,382 times
What this does to quality is a terrible loss.

Old 01-10-2010, 02:18 PM

1,718 posts, read 2,299,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Affirmative Action and minority preferences will be the downfall of this country.
Color, race, gender over skill and experience lands people jobs these days and I believe it's more pronounced in government work or government contract work.

I'm a girl and I've turned down opportunities at my company because I knew my name was put forward to play the "girl" card rather than my name put forward because of my skills.

I'm a programmer (20 years systems programmer) and I'm a girl. In this field that is a minority and I have to work hard to make sure I really do earn my way and not get it handed to me. I've seen what happens when it does...you are shunned by your peers and cannot pull your weight.

Oh it looks good on HR reports for minority workers but back in the trenches they all know what's going on. No one wants to work with someone who is a "token" and nothing more.
I sincerely hope that you were not qualified for the positions that you turned down. I hope that was the reason that you turned them down. Whether or not you are a contributor will be quickly found out by your peers.

I think you should have made it more clear in your post that you were promoted but not qualified and that's why you turned down the promotions. The assumption is there but it was not spelled out.

- Reel

Old 01-10-2010, 02:35 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelist in Atlanta View Post
I sincerely hope that you were not qualified for the positions that you turned down. I hope that was the reason that you turned them down. Whether or not you are a contributor will be quickly found out by your peers.

I think you should have made it more clear in your post that you were promoted but not qualified and that's why you turned down the promotions. The assumption is there but it was not spelled out.

- Reel
I found out by other means..I believe I was qualified but that is not why my name was submitted. Turning it down was the better option. Word gets around and I would rather pass on something and still be "one of the guys" then take it and spend my time justifying that I was qualified. Sometimes it's just not worth it. Being respected by my peers means more to me in the long run over a few measly extra dollars. This happened years ago and I have no regrets with what I did.

Old 01-10-2010, 02:39 PM

1,718 posts, read 2,299,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abbie111 View Post
They've been doing this for years and by 'minority' they really mean Blacks and Mestizos.

You don't see Asians failing to pass these exams.

After all this time, I think we need to stop pretending all races are equal on the intelligence scale. It's ridiculous and we don't go towards any real solutions with it.
You are correct. But there are blacks at all levels of intelligence. In many ways, highly intelligent blacks are just as harmed by this lack of meritocracy as anyone else.

We really do have to get back to merit in academics, hiring and promotions. For those who hate IQ tests, go ahead and base this on achievement. It would be hard to get away from talking about racial issues when this is found to have a disparate impact on black folks but we should be talking about achievement levels and not black v white.

It's not about race. It's about mental capacity, ability, inclination and initiative resulting in achievement. Those who claim we are all equal and that prejudice and discrimination is the cause of low achievement cannot explain why the majority of blacks are doing just fine in this capitalistic society. They also cannot explain why there are actually more low-achieving whites than there are low-achieving blacks.

There will always be those who cannot even produce what they need to survive in any society. Approximately 10% of whites and 25% of blacks fall into this marginal category and this category includes more whites than blacks. Social programs will be necessary to carry these folks. Putting these folks into a position where they are unlikely to succeed is not doing anyone any favors.

- Reel

Old 01-10-2010, 04:12 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,414,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abbie111 View Post
They've been doing this for years and by 'minority' they really mean Blacks and Mestizos.

You don't see Asians failing to pass these exams.

After all this time, I think we need to stop pretending all races are equal on the intelligence scale. It's ridiculous and we don't go towards any real solutions with it.
By "intelligence" you mean education, yes?

Old 01-10-2010, 04:51 PM

711 posts, read 1,512,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelist in Atlanta View Post
You are correct. But there are blacks at all levels of intelligence. In many ways, highly intelligent blacks are just as harmed by this lack of meritocracy as anyone else.

We really do have to get back to merit in academics, hiring and promotions. For those who hate IQ tests, go ahead and base this on achievement. It would be hard to get away from talking about racial issues when this is found to have a disparate impact on black folks but we should be talking about achievement levels and not black v white.

It's not about race. It's about mental capacity, ability, inclination and initiative resulting in achievement. Those who claim we are all equal and that prejudice and discrimination is the cause of low achievement cannot explain why the majority of blacks are doing just fine in this capitalistic society. They also cannot explain why there are actually more low-achieving whites than there are low-achieving blacks.

There will always be those who cannot even produce what they need to survive in any society. Approximately 10% of whites and 25% of blacks fall into this marginal category and this category includes more whites than blacks. Social programs will be necessary to carry these folks. Putting these folks into a position where they are unlikely to succeed is not doing anyone any favors.

- Reel
Please don,t intimate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies