Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 09:54 AM

29,524 posts, read 19,620,154 times

Advertisements

I think it's safe to say that the Sierra Club's Arctic ice forecast isn't going to happen

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/By255QNIgAAgdll.png:large

Last edited by Ibginnie; 10-01-2014 at 10:41 AM.. Reason: hotlinking/copyright

Old 10-01-2014, 10:09 AM

4,571 posts, read 3,520,506 times
The Church of Global Warming - the most intolerant religion of them all. Its members make radical muslims look like saints.

Old 10-01-2014, 10:14 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,111,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arielmina View Post
are you all going to start a thread a day on the weather? I just can't wait until I can post about 100+ degree weather again this summer and tell you it is evidence of global warning...and I'll do it daily no matter how many people tell me climate and weather do not mean the same thing and climate change takes decades +, not just a year. Or maybe I will just tell you that 2009 was the 5th warmest on record....since you only seem to be able to be short sighted about these things.

ETA I'm not gonna post on every weather thread that comes up, so consider this your rebuttal for all those future posts that we'll see tomorrow, and the next day, and the next day.

Short answer to your first question, yes.

Meanwhile, Miami Beach is under knee deep water at high tide, the ocean has eroded parts of A1A, and some of the smarter civic leaders are paying attention to the rising ocean.

But...nothin to see here. It snowed in Colorado.

Old 10-01-2014, 10:36 AM

24,406 posts, read 23,065,142 times
But... but... but... man made global warming will mean far more powerful and numerous hurricanes. Or is it the other way around? Its been quiet again this year. Thanks, Global Warming!

Old 10-01-2014, 11:51 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
But... but... but... man made global warming will mean far more powerful and numerous hurricanes. Or is it the other way around? Its been quiet again this year. Thanks, Global Warming!
I'll help you:

Less hurricanes = AGW
More hurricanes = AGW
Record highs = AGW
Record lows = AGW
Less ice = AGW
More ice = AGW

As you can see, it's all AGW. It's too late to stop AGW. We need to lower our emissions so China and India can increase theirs to fight the AGW problem that can't be fixed.

Old 10-01-2014, 01:30 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,931,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
I think it's safe to say that the Sierra Club's Arctic ice forecast isn't going to happen

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/By255QNIgAAgdll.png:large
Actually, Arctic Ice actually has vanished and container ships are sailing right through to Russia without the need for ice-breakers. In fact, did you hear of the need for any ships to be rescued by ice-breakers last winter? But... really... the action at the poles is neither here nor there... do you live there? I don't. Neither do most people. Don't tell me that where you live, you don't see evidence of climate change. You would be confessing idiocy.

The people whose jobs depend on their being responsible for the lives and well being of a population cannot afford to be as cavalier as you lot and the deny'ers who let New Orleans be ravaged by Katrina are gone. The deny'ers who failed to properly protect NYC from Sandy are gone. The developers who want to re-build on Sandy ravaged shoreline have been told to get the #%#$ out of here, NO! Hell no. And Florida orange juice will be a thing of the past in less than five years. NaPa Valley wine will be a thing of the past in less than 10 years. These are real and economic disasters in the making and the people at ground zero, the people who are watching their livelihoods and their fortunes evaporate due to the ever increasing climate instability aren't logging onto C-D day and night posting about how ridiculous all this Climate Change nonsense is because they are feeling it in their wallets as we speak. Bee's dead by the millions. Starfish dead by the billions. Tequila rum... the Agave cactus that produces it... because of climate change they are maturing too fast and are ruining the taste of the final product. I don't drink Tequila but Tequila affciiandos aren't happy and Tequila distillers are worse than unhappy, they will eventually be OUT OF BUSINESS. They don't deny Global Warming. They can't. It is all too evident in the destruction of their chosen way of life.

But, go ahead. Don't let a little reality stop you. Got to give Frank Zappa credit. He kept smoking right to the end. What was the point of quitting after he was already diagnosed with terminal cancer. What is the point of admitting climate change is real when you have made 22,000 posts on City Data to the effect that it is a hoax. I get that. I respect deny'ers for their resolve and fortitude. They have decided that any attempt to undo greenhouse gas production would negatively affect their investments in oil and gas production. I can only hope that the start of a people's rebellion as evidenced by the recent march in NYC and the summit meeting shortly after will shift the balance of opinion in favor of doing something about the problem.

H

Last edited by Leisesturm; 10-01-2014 at 02:41 PM..

Old 10-01-2014, 01:43 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,931,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
As you can see, it's all AGW. It's too late to stop AGW. We need to lower our emissions so China and India can increase theirs to fight the AGW problem that can't be fixed.
China reduced greenhouse gas emissions last year. The U.S. increased greenhouse gas emissions last year by the largest margin ever since emissions have been tracked. The rest of the world gets it. They don't have an extensive infrastructure to insulate them from the effects of an unstable environment. The drought in California should have killed thousands upon thousands but because we are America they can get water from Arizona... that should give you pause because for years it was the other way around. California kept both Arizona and Nevada from literally dying of thirst via pipelines of life giving water.

In India a drought means people die. And die horribly. By the thousands. Same with Africa. Can't be fixed? You mean "won't be fixed". There has been no attempt to even try the most minimal and pathetic effort to curb our runaway dependence of fossil fuels. Even if it did nothing for AGW it would do plenty to see to it that obtaining oil for pharmacy, medical hardware and other non-transportation uses would NOT require pumping millions of gallons of TOXIC chemicals into our groundwater. When the cancer cases caused by the slow ingestion of fracking chemicals start showing up in oncology wards there is going to be hell to pay. Literally.

My guess is the Big Oil people already know that and have a number in mind that they think will settle all the cases and still allow them to bank record profits right up until the starship they are building to take them to the earthlike planet that they have discovered 12 light-years away is ready.

H

Old 10-01-2014, 02:01 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,371,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
China reduced greenhouse gas emissions last year. The U.S. increased greenhouse gas emissions last year by the largest margin ever since emissions have been tracked. The rest of the world gets it. They don't have an extensive infrastructure to insulate them from the effects of an unstable environment. The drought in California should have killed thousands upon thousands but because we are America they can get water from Arizona... that should give you pause because for years it was the other way around. California kept both Arizona and Nevada from literally dying of thirst via pipelines of life giving water.

In India a drought means people die. And die horribly. By the thousands. Same with Africa. Can't be fixed? You mean "won't be fixed". There has been no attempt to even try the most minimal and pathetic effort to curb our runaway dependence of fossil fuels. Even if it did nothing for AGW it would do plenty to see to it that obtaining oil for pharmacy, medical hardware and other non-transportation uses would NOT require pumping millions of gallons of TOXIC chemicals into our groundwater. When the cancer cases caused by the slow ingestion of fracking chemicals start showing up in oncology wards there is going to be hell to pay. Literally.

My guess is the Big Oil people already know that and have a number in mind that they think will settle all the cases and still allow them to bank record profits right up until the starship they are building to take them to the earthlike planet that they have discovered 12 light-years away is ready.

H
It's amazing to me that you idiots keep yammering on about big oil but you fail to draw the connection between climate alarmism and billions of dollars in funding for more (alarmist) research and more failed green initiatives.
China gets it? You believe what China tells you?

Old 10-01-2014, 02:04 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,371,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Source?

I tried to verify it, but couldn't.

I did find these however:

Looks like China "gets it" alright

Old 10-01-2014, 02:11 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,222,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Actually, you loon, Arctic Ice actually has vanished and container ships are sailing right through to Russia without the need for ice-breakers. In fact, did you hear of the need for any ships to be rescued by ice-breakers last winter? But... really... the action at the poles is neither here nor there... do you live there? I don't. Neither do most people. Don't tell me that where you live, you don't see evidence of climate change. You would be confessing idiocy.

The people whose jobs depend on their being responsible for the lives and well being of a population cannot afford to be as cavalier as you lot and the deny'ers who let New Orleans be ravaged by Katrina are gone. The deny'ers who failed to properly protect NYC from Sandy are gone. The developers who want to re-build on Sandy ravaged shoreline have been told to get the #%#$ out of here, NO! Hell no. And Florida orange juice will be a thing of the past in less than five years. NaPa Valley wine will be a thing of the past in less than 10 years. These are real and economic disasters in the making and the people at ground zero, the people who are watching their livelihoods and their fortunes evaporate due to the ever increasing climate instability aren't logging onto C-D day and night posting about how ridiculous all this Climate Change nonsense is because they are feeling it in their wallets as we speak. Bee's dead by the millions. Starfish dead by the billions. Tequila rum... the Agave cactus that produces it... because of climate change they are maturing too fast and are ruining the taste of the final product. I don't drink Tequila but Tequila affciiandos aren't happy and Tequila distillers are worse than unhappy, they will eventually be OUT OF BUSINESS. They don't deny Global Warming. They can't. It is all too evident in the destruction of their chosen way of life.

But, go ahead. Don't let a little reality stop you. Got to give Frank Zappa credit. He kept smoking right to the end. What was the point of quitting after he was already diagnosed with terminal cancer. What is the point of admitting climate change is real when you have made 22,000 posts on City Data to the effect that it is a hoax. I get that. I respect deny'ers for their resolve and fortitude. They have decided that any attempt to undo greenhouse gas production would negatively affect their investments in oil and gas production. I can only hope that the start of a people's rebellion as evidenced by the recent march in NYC and the summit meeting shortly after will shift the balance of opinion in favor of doing something about the problem.

H
Do what about a natural occurrence?

See the earth heats and cools periodically.

It has not been proven man causes climate change. And more than likely, if never will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies