Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 04:37 PM

2,404 posts, read 3,948,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmerkyGrl View Post
Am I wrong?
No. Stop living life with so much guilt. It is perfectly human to pass judgement and well within your right to not like them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 05:14 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
I judge everyone and I expect everyone to judge me....which is why we should all try harder to be better people.

Old 01-12-2010, 05:25 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I judge everyone and I expect everyone to judge me....which is why we should all try harder to be better people.
Yep. I wonder where the notion that everything is just as good as everything else has come from... Actually, trying to appeal and be judged positively is one of the main motivations in life. Society has always conditioned its members by letting them know when they are not behaving the way they should.

Old 01-12-2010, 05:36 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
It's normal to judge other people. Trying to force them to change, to become what you would like them to be, is another story altogether.

Everyone has a right to be who they want, to look out of Number One. I've been reading a book by Robert Ringer about that very thing.

Old 01-12-2010, 06:23 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,782,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
When we were monkeys I'm sure we judged lions for our own safety. We judge mates because we want to have a good offspring. We judge the environment we are in because we wouldn't want to put ourselves in danger. We judge budgets, banks, jobs, cars, food and just about everything else in our lives. Not doing so would just be ridiculous.

Trying not to judge is like trying to lose the adventurous spirit that is in our genetics. I think the question should be is the judgment justified.
Judging in and of itself isn't wrong. I call the healthy version discernment. People have to judge for themselves to make the critical choices that impact their own lives/ greater responsibility if they are to own responsibility for their happiness. It's when they start doing inventories of others, chasing down people for failing to live up to their standard, where things go horribly wrong. They're chronically the worst offenders, oblivious to themselves.

Lets take any poster on CD as example. What difference does it make what I think about you personally or vice versa? Not a hill of beans. We don't know each other, we have no idea what trials and tribulations have gone on in our respective corners shaping our opinions, and especially--- I don't pay your way in life. You pay for every choice you make with your very life, sink or swim, even when you refuse to make a choice. The more I know, the more evidence of both blame and credit I might offer, but even still, it's your life and I can't live it for you. My appreciation of anyone, or lack thereof, doesn't pay anyones bills. It only takes on meaning when they value it. Hard to value anyones opinion when they've got a bad attitude.

I think the OP has a clue about the emotionally manipulative set. You'll know them by their victim mentality speeches. No point in doing their work for them. When they're ready to get out of a stinky diaper, they'll do so. Telling me I've got to pay for their diapers, no way, I'm having none of that plan. Leading by example is a powerful tool. So is shunning negative behavior by refusing to pander. Use them both judiciously, but crossing the line by way of manipulating/ coercion... I can't respect your rights if you've no respect for mine. By virtue of calling ourselves Americans, atheists are obliged to defend the religious a right to exist in America, and vice versa.

Back to the example of CD members; I do judge them harshly by how badly they treat others, and especially how egregious their lies. I judge them by their content, their ability to put forth abstract thought, so on down the line. I judge them by their ability to recognize mistakes vs their willingness to draw wild conclusions. I don't have a vested interest in thinking lesser of anyone until they give me cause by their own conduct or their own irrational arguments. As pertaining to poli forum, when I hear hate speech coming from the same group consistently, that becomes my definition of their party. To all; think better of your conduct, left, right, 3rd party. Each of you have my ear, my sincerest consideration of your views, until you abuse the privilege. I vote regularly.

Anti-PC crowd... giving yourselves license to be vicious, gorge the trough of confirmation bias, and lying about yourselves has all the credibility of hateful gossip in the pews. CLICK!

Old 01-12-2010, 08:23 PM

18,160 posts, read 15,628,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
OP-

I AGREE!

Sometimes I think I should I just drop out of college, quit working for the **** wage I make and just get pregnant. *rolls eyes*

Seems to beat working.
I will add to this , and say, sponge off the father, who , if you are lucky, has a good job, and , as per the OP< by the virtue of being female, you get custody, and more money in 'child support' than the guy actually makes. I have , personally, seen this happen, far to many times, from one certain judge herebouts. In one case, the 'mother' was awarded 'child support' and 'spousal support', to the tune of 3000 bucks MORE than the husband/father made on a monthly basis. This before any final settlement. At this point, the aggrieved party's were only legally separated, and not divorced. With crap like this being allowed to happen, hey, lifes a bowl of cherries, unless your the one getting tossed the pits. Seems there are a LOT of people lookin' for a free ride, problem is, to many are actually getting it, and the line gets bigger. In some cases, pride should not be considered a sin. Wanting to stand on ones own two feet, and getting where you want to go on your OWN steam,being a couple good examples. These latter have been lost to FAR to many, in favor of parastitic methods.

Old 01-12-2010, 08:59 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,556,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mossomo View Post
No. Stop living life with so much guilt. It is perfectly human to pass judgement and well within your right to not like them.
Absolutely. There isn't a person alive who doesn't, in some way, judge the relative 'worthiness', merit, or behavior of other people; that includes other nations, other religions, other cultures. Everyone feels more empathy for some things than he feels for others...everyone feels some things are 'reasonable' while other things are not. Everyone can differentiate between what he regards as 'bad' behavior, and 'good' behavior, whether he calls it that or not.

This is my MAIN gripe with multiculturalism and 'PC'...each seeks to deny this very real human quality...that we ALL judge and make differentiations....some of us in one direction, some of us in others...and we ALL find ourselves valuing some things, and minimizing others....

Even if all you do is 'disavow the intolerant', you're still making a judgement. It's just that in a PC world, it makes us uncomfortable to admit this.

Old 01-13-2010, 12:07 AM

241 posts, read 267,424 times
I judge people who are uptight.

Old 01-13-2010, 12:47 AM

23,222 posts, read 29,044,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
Be careful for what you wish. As it may come true...
Be far more careful of what you hate. You know the saying: what we hate the most in others we see so much of in ourselves.

Many people are quick to throw stones, and neglect to see that they're standing in the middle of a glass building.

I think it's just normal to be speak judgementally.

Old 01-13-2010, 01:14 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Life is a series of choices. Some choices you make, like to drop out of school or have a baby out of wedlock, put you on a path of dwindling choices further down the road. Not all choices may seem bad at the time you make them. A woman who decides to be a stay at home mom in her twenties and finds herself dumped at 45 - 50 with no work experience or job skills is judged (by me) for her choice at 25, too, if she invites it by complaining about her situation. People who move to a new location based on low taxes and good weather but without any regard as to whether they'll actually like the new place when they get there, are judged if they complain about their situation, too. A person who chose to live large during their working years and now can't retire because they didn't save anything is also judged. People who choose to stay in their home during a hurricane or hike up a large snow covered mountain and then find themselves stranded are also judged. The difference, I suppose, is how they expect me to participate in their current bad situation based on choices they made. If they expect me to pony up money, try to blame me and others for their unhappiness or put my life in danger for their bad choices, it would make the difference on whether I'm judgmental in my head or loudly to their face.

If people invite strangers to judge them, like by complaining in public forums or by talking to the media, eh. And if strangers are judging you, just tune them out. You don't have to listen to them.

If a person choses a job where they are very much in the public eye, they should expect to be judged. Again, it's a choice they made to be in that position. They could have praticed law or medicine but they chose to be a politician. They could have been a set decorator but they chose to be an actor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies