Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2010, 02:53 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,702,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
I would also like to know why the states that lean the most Democratic ended up near the bottom of the list. (California, Nevada, Hawaii).
The governors of all three of those states are Republicans.

And the Nevada Senate is controlled by Republicans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 02:59 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,106,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post

A common theme with those best educated states is that they are very white states with few illegal immigrants

This is a big reason why California, Arizona and New Mexico (Texas to a lesser extent) are lower in the eduation rankings

Look at Vermont as best educated (98% white) and little ghetto and poverty influence. Same with New Hampshire, Wisconsin, Maine etc.

It is not racist to say this, but rather fact (although I am sure someone will try and say I am being racist)

Old 01-13-2010, 03:10 PM

30,093 posts, read 18,704,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Like Taxes View Post
They are not that bad. They might believe in evilution, but that is just a theory, like gravity
Gravity is a proven physical force. While I do strongly believe in the theory of evolution, it is a theory.

Old 01-13-2010, 03:10 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,040,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Just worry about South Carolina, that bastion of higher education..
Yeah what is up with SC coming in at #29? Shouldn't we be at #49 or so?

Quote:

The Alabama state legislature has been dominated by Democrats for over 100 years, yet it is a solid red state.

California voted for Obama by 61%, Nevada by 55%, and Hawaii by a whopping 72%.

Old 01-13-2010, 03:12 PM

18,359 posts, read 26,528,117 times
Quote:
The top 10 best-educated states:

1. Vermont
2. Connecticut
3. Massachusetts
4. New Jersey
5. Maine
6. Minnesota
7. Virginia
8. Wisconsin
9. Montana
10. New York
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed
Several of those are very urban dominated states. Urban areas tend to favor bigger government, etc. The remainder, except Montana, notably ME and VT, were Republican for years until large numbers of lefties moved there from the neighboring states of NY, MA, etc. Montana is not a Democrat-controlled state yet. It has only gotten slightly bluer with Californians moving in recently.

Last edited by Yac; 02-23-2010 at 07:45 AM..

Old 01-13-2010, 03:25 PM

45,647 posts, read 27,268,345 times
The question should be ...

Why do liberals tend to look down on others instead of helping others better themselves?

Old 01-13-2010, 04:05 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,938,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
Yeah what is up with SC coming in at #29? Shouldn't we be at #49 or so?

The Alabama state legislature has been dominated by Democrats for over 100 years, yet it is a solid red state.

California voted for Obama by 61%, Nevada by 55%, and Hawaii by a whopping 72%.
There's very little difference between a Southern "Democrat" and a Republican; the "solid South" existed for many generations, largely as a Civil War remembrance, and had nothing to do with " red" or "blue", especially since those are very modern terms, i.e. within the last 10 years.

Old 01-13-2010, 04:06 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,557,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post
I go to college and can tell you firsthand you're speaking out of your rear. My political opinions were generally the same as they are now before I ever stepped foot on campus.

I've taken 2 Philosophy classes: one prof was an agnostic who was open to most religious views. The other wouldn't tell us what he was but we had to write a paper convincing him what we believed. And no he didn't grade on what you believed, but rather how well you argued for it.

Like I previously said, about 1/3 of my professors teach in a liberal manner, 1/4 in a conservative manner, and the rest are either bipartisan or completely neutral.
Then that makes two of us.....because it happened in my school....and it happens in schools all over the country. There are more liberal bent professors in universities! And they teach from that perspective to young minds who never get to hear the other side until later in life.....Information backs that up....

College Faculties A Most Liberal Lot, Study Finds

College Faculties A Most Liberal Lot, Study Finds (washingtonpost.com)

By Howard Kurtz
Washington Post Staff Writer
Tuesday, March 29, 2005; Page C01

College faculties, long assumed to be a liberal bastion, lean further to the left than even the most conspiratorial conservatives might have imagined, a new study says.
By their own description, 72 percent of those teaching at American universities and colleges are liberal and 15 percent are conservative, says the study being published this week. The imbalance is almost as striking in partisan terms, with 50 percent of the faculty members surveyed identifying themselves as Democrats and 11 percent as Republicans.

Harvard's faculty of arts and sciences hit President Lawrence Summers with a vote of no confidence after he privately wondered about the abilities of women in science and math. (Steven Senne -- AP)

Friday's Question:
It was not until the early 20th century that the Senate enacted rules allowing members to end filibusters and unlimited debate. How many votes were required to invoke cloture when the Senate first adopted the rule in 1917?

The disparity is even more pronounced at the most elite schools, where, according to the study, 87 percent of faculty are liberal and 13 percent are conservative.
"What's most striking is how few conservatives there are in any field," said Robert Lichter, a professor at George Mason University and a co-author of the study. "There was no field we studied in which there were more conservatives than liberals or more Republicans than Democrats. It's a very homogenous environment, not just in the places you'd expect to be dominated by liberals."

Old 01-13-2010, 05:42 PM

6,183 posts, read 6,084,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Because the percentage of people going thru the liberal reeducation centers and propaganda machines on our college and university campus is higher then in other states?
Refer to any of my posts in the first few pages regarding this subject.

Old 01-13-2010, 05:43 PM

6,183 posts, read 6,084,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
This is why I won't allow my kids to attend east coast schools. They are liberal indoctrination camps and are a waste of time and money.
I go to an east coast school and I can tell you first hand that's a crock of crap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies