Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: should obama get 33 billion more for war funding
yes, give him the money 8 42.11%
no, don't give him the money 9 47.37%
not sure either way 2 10.53%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 07:35 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,916,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
I don't know of a single liberal poster here who supports our the current level of spending on defense. They want rational cuts to defense spending.

I would bet. Most right wingers here don't support increased spending.

We are all on the outside looking in.

The only difference is ...by their actions and rhetoric the right wing contributes to the enviroment that make cutting defense politically impossible.
the democrats have a majority and they can stop the spending if they choose. they need to choose to put american workers first and to get our country back on track.

both parties have let this country down IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 07:37 AM

13,186 posts, read 14,980,467 times
There are two groups in Congress that honestly would vote for needed cuts in defense.

The progressive Caucus (83 members) and a handful of Republicans such as Ron Paul.

At most 90 members out of 435 House seats.

When people say " Democrats are in Control " it's a useless fact.

In reality it's the entrenched corporate lobbyists that are in control.

They own 50% of the Democrats and 95% of the GOP.

So whotever is in control....the corporations win.

The difference is the tea party movement is actively engaged in rooting out the good Democrats. They are doing the corporate lobbyists work for them.

Old 01-14-2010, 07:44 AM

i agree, and our economy will continue to deteriorate. i see the unemployment release today shows an "unexpected" increase in unemployment again.....

Old 01-14-2010, 07:45 AM

4,432 posts, read 6,985,065 times
well Obama should reduce troop numbers, not increase it. Anyway Obama should consider getting the US out of Afganistan as the US will not win the war against the terrorist there. Infact I believe the US should have got out of Afganistan at the beginning of 2002.

Anyway I do like Obama but I believe he has made a mistake on increasing the US presense there.

Old 01-14-2010, 01:19 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,447,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
what are you talking about? i have never been in favor of war spending, not when bush did it and not when obama does it. IT IS DEAD END SPENDING.

it is bizarre that democrats now support war spending when they were against it with bush. i guess party trumps policy, but people should be consistent in their positions.

You mean that politicians are all talk, until they get into office, and then they are all hot AIR. You know how many things he said he would not do? Should we start counting.

Old 01-14-2010, 02:29 PM

i am amazed that people think we can keep going on this track.
(CNN money)
The Obama administration on Friday said the government ran a $1.42 trillion deficit in fiscal year 2009. That made it the worst year on record since World War II, according to data from the Treasury and the White House Office of Management and Budget.

Tax receipts for the year fell 16.6% overall, while spending soared 18.2% compared to fiscal year 2008. The causes: rising unemployment, the economic slowdown and the extraordinary measures taken by lawmakers to stem the economic meltdown that hit in fall 2008.

Consequently, the annual deficit rose 212% to the record dollar amount of $1.42 trillion, from $455 billion a year earlier.

we are supposed to keep throwing money at wars and other countries, yet somehow manage to fund increasing social service programs for the rising unemployment and underemployed? we only have an employment to population ratio of 58.2 percent now. (the ratio of employed to the adult population). to put that in perspective, according to wikipedia we had a employment to population ratio of 71.5 percent in 2005.

i would urge people to look at these graphs and tell me that we aren't getting into trouble now:http://www.economicpopulist.org/cont...-december-2009

we cannot afford to keep giving money away to other countries, even in the form of wars and this so-called rebuilding. note that while we are fighting the taliban, we are also paying them.....

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009...curity-taliban

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS...pay/index.html

The bill includes a Taliban reintegration provision under the Commander's Emergency Response Program, which is now receiving $1.3 billion.

Last edited by floridasandy; 01-14-2010 at 02:49 PM..

Old 01-14-2010, 08:16 PM

946 posts, read 2,604,651 times
30 billion? Hahahahahah. Remember when that dude, budget chief or something, was fired by Bush because he dared put the cost of the Iraq war at the incredibly ridiculously high figure of 150-200 billion? If you believe 30 billion, you are a product of government and media indoctrination. Or blinded by the last vestiges of hope. Same difference.

How much money will it take? All the money we can print. How many bombs will it take? All the bombs we can make. How much blood will it take? All the dead Americans we bury until we leave Afghanistan, and not a single one less. Unless you want to stay there for fifty years, in which case I hope you've served in our military, are in the process of joining, and are prepping your grandchildren to enlist when they turn 18.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies