Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 08:16 PM

190 posts, read 524,346 times

Advertisements

Just curious....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 08:31 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,048,207 times
Good subject, and if I had a choice I would say hells no! But do we really have a choice?

Old 01-14-2010, 09:08 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,291,852 times
I think a society grows when people buy the products that they make
and a society goes down the toilet when they buy more and more from countries and stop producing what they buy.

That's why I completely support protectionism and tariffs.

This is the way I explain it to people:
Let's say that slavery is legal in China, we allow people to bring chinese slave made cars to the US without tariffs (tax the product as it comes in the country to protect our products)
The chinese car will be extremely cheap because they paid the workers with water and soup. The american carmakers will go bankrupt unless they pay workers with water and soup to compete with the slave made chinese cars.
If we go along with it, all the carmaking jobs in the US would vanish and the money we spent buying american cars would go to a chinese slave owner.

Old 01-14-2010, 09:22 PM

4,062 posts, read 5,646,222 times
Most don't advertise the fact. I don't like it, but unfortunately, they don't care what we think. Nowadays businesses don't care. Many don't have real people who answer the phone (unless the calls are answered in India). Customer service barely even exists. And they sell trinkets with toxic Cadmium so children can be poisoned.

Old 01-14-2010, 09:29 PM

358 posts, read 821,824 times
In general, I do. When it comes to buying goods, I buy what I consider to be good quality no matter where it's made. I hate to see us lose jobs to foreign countries, but if they make a superior product...

I'm sure this will undoubtedly rile up some folks out there, but I happen to believe unions were, and still are, a big part of the reason for much of the outsourcing (at least in the manufacturing sector). And, the unwillingness of Americans to work for a wage that the business owner can afford. This is my short and sweet analysis and I know the issue is way more complicated and involved.

BTW, I buy American whenever I know I'll get the quality I'm looking for. I own a Ford pickup and a Lincoln sedan.

Old 01-14-2010, 10:32 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,030,764 times
went to get my yearly supply of Carharts this year and suprise made in Mexico. bye bye Carhart and all my const buddies feel the same way

Old 01-14-2010, 10:43 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,003,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amybeccaz View Post
Just curious....
No. as a matter of fact< i cancel all credit cards who have foreign customer service call centers b/c i strongly believe that those jobs belong here in our country.

Old 01-14-2010, 10:46 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
How can it be avoided? Almost everything on the market has a connection to other countries.

Old 01-14-2010, 10:47 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,291,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg2ntst View Post
I'm sure this will undoubtedly rile up some folks out there, but I happen to believe unions were, and still are, a big part of the reason for much of the outsourcing (at least in the manufacturing sector). And, the unwillingness of Americans to work for a wage that the business owner can afford. This is my short and sweet analysis and I know the issue is way more complicated and involved.
Read about the decline of union membership in the US in the 20th century.

Also, look at the top marginal tax rate in the 20th century. American was doing great when it was above 70% (before 1980)
Historical Top Tax Rate

Old 01-14-2010, 10:51 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,334,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
No. as a matter of fact< i cancel all credit cards who have foreign customer service call centers b/c i strongly believe that those jobs belong here in our country.
If you typed your response using ANY Windows based PC you are supporting the outsourcing of American jobs overseas. Microsoft utilizes both American-based and foreign-based software developers. Can't say for sure, but I suspect Apple does the same.

Ken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies