Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2010, 07:37 AM

11,760 posts, read 14,656,809 times

Advertisements

Here's one quick suggestion.

If health care reform is dead, that presumably means the giveaway to the drug companies is also dead.

Use reconciliation to eliminate the doughnut hole in Part D and to require the federal government to negotiate with drug companies for the lowest price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 07:44 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,426,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I'm with you there. The "benefits package" would have to be turned over the the employee as cold hard cash with which to buy a health insurance policy. That should be doable since the employer is currently paying out anyway. But the problem will still be what to do about the uninsured, those who just show up in the ER with something wrong and don't leave until they are fixed. It might take a moment or a lifetime....and we don't have a real good way of telling people "no" when it comes to things like medication and surgery. I don't know if we can ever fix that.
The answer is easy: National health care. Stop trying to provide everyone with health care by requiring insurance coverage and just provide health care to everyone. The increase in taxes to those who pay will be less than comprehensive insurance costs.

Why is this so hard for people to understand? There's a reason our country pays a more for medical expenditures than any other country -- unregulated private insurance.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:45 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Here's one quick suggestion.

If health care reform is dead, that presumably means the giveaway to the drug companies is also dead.

Use reconciliation to eliminate the doughnut hole in Part D and to require the federal government to negotiate with drug companies for the lowest price.
No, Republicans fought for status quo, and that is their "gift" to the nation. You'll just have to budget accordingly.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:46 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,789,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Harrington View Post
Simply do what the rest of the world does. Make Health Insurance companies Non Profits. Obviously the entrenched USA system with it's top heavy beauracracy and the jobs created by the bean counters for billing systems, billing administrators and beauracratic health care gate keepers can not be changed without creating massive job losses throughout the USA private health system.
For instance, studies in Single Payer country's have also proved that co-payments actually cost more in administration than they make and this is only one instance where an efficient single pay system would shed jobs.

The simple fact is that Single Payer Systems used by the rest of the world are too efficient for the USA and will only add to the job losses and economic problems.

So at least the USA can cut costs by making the present Health Insurance System a non profit like the Red Cross and Medicare and stop paying out millions in CEO salarys, political lobby payments and those dreadful T.V. ads that most of the rest of the world does not allow, believing the doctor should choose the medicine and not the media.

I hate to break this other news too you, but many of us also have Non Profit Single Payer Auto Insurance also. Works great too. But Shhhh...don't tell anyone. They are having a hard enough time already avoiding discussing anything that works great for the middle class.
Though I'm a strong single-payer support, I can live with non-profit health insurance companies. Have you looked into the German concept of sickness funds? This interview provides a lot of insight into the German system: FRONTLINE: sick around the world: interviews: karl lauterbach | PBS

Efficiency is a good thing and I really don't think single-payer will lead to a lot of job losses. I think more than anything it will help our economic troubles because people won't be tethered to jobs just for the health insurance benefits, more small businesses can save money (and thus hire more people) on health care costs, larger companies will save money (and probably hire more people) and the list goes on.

Some companies have admitted they have skipped over the U.S. because we don't have a national health care system.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:47 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,789,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagran View Post
The answer is easy: National health care. Stop trying to provide everyone with health care by requiring insurance coverage and just provide health care to everyone. The increase in taxes to those who pay will be less than comprehensive insurance costs.

Why is this so hard for people to understand? There's a reason our country pays a more for medical expenditures than any other country -- unregulated private insurance.
We don't need no stinkin' facts around here!

JK!

Last edited by Ibginnie; 01-21-2010 at 11:10 AM..

Old 01-21-2010, 09:55 AM

8,630 posts, read 9,139,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Harrington View Post

I hate to break this other news too you, but many of us also have Non Profit Single Payer Auto Insurance also. Works great too. But Shhhh...don't tell anyone. They are having a hard enough time already avoiding discussing anything that works great for the middle class.
No kidding? One thing I've noticed these past few years here in the States is all the car insurance commercials on TV. There are two car insurance companies that spend the most on airtime and happen to have the worst reputation of all put together.

Old 01-21-2010, 10:11 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,941,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arielmina View Post
What can we do that will be palatable to everyone? Does everyone at least agree that there are some fundamental problems? Here are the issues I want to see fixed from where I sit:

1. Provide a less expensive option to continue coverage between jobs.
2. Do away with pre-existing conditions altogether.
3. Find some way to reduce costs so that our premiums don't keep increasing 20-30% each year.
4. Do away with lifetime maximums.
5. Lower cost coverage for out of network benefits in cases of severe (not routine) disease and injury.

Can we have a partisan-neutral discussion of what the problems are and some ideas to fix it?
All great ideas, too bad no one in Washingtoon is interested in them, it is all about politics and power at the moment.
Casper

Old 01-21-2010, 10:12 AM

3,088 posts, read 5,356,109 times
Hey, I've got an idea. . . how about we get universal health care, and give the Republicans credit for it? Then everybody gets what they want!

Old 01-21-2010, 10:21 AM

1,418 posts, read 3,456,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cap1717 View Post
Hey, I've got an idea. . . how about we get universal health care, and give the Republicans credit for it? Then everybody gets what they want!
LOL thats great

Old 01-21-2010, 10:21 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
Stop buying $1,000,000 McMansions on a $50k household income.
Stop buying $50,000 SUVs
Stop eating at Applebees every night.
Skip the low deductible insurance and buy catastrophic insurance.
Eat healthy.

Take responsibility for your own actions and STOP LOOKING TO TAKE OTHER PEOPLES' MONEY TO PAY FOR YOUR OWN DAMN PROBLEMS!!!!
Who is getting a loan for a $1,000,000 house on a $50,000 income?

Ditto the loan for the SUV.

Who is eating at Applebee's every night?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
People have to choose their priorities. It seems few do that well these days. Tell me how people living paycheck to paycheck can choose to make a mortgage payment, 2 car payments, daycare, cell phone plans, cable t.v. ....but not their own health insurance?
As above. While I agree there are some poor money mangers out there, most of the "paycheck to paycheck" people aren't spending money on a lot of frivilous stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies