Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 07:08 AM

5,165 posts, read 6,053,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
I will admit that Coakley lost because she has the personality of a rotting potato.

I hate that the Dems lost the Senate seat but in all honesty, if I were an average Massachusetts voter, with limited political knowledge and lacking in sophistication, I probably would have voted for Scott Brown too (given those two options)

Underestimating the MA voters was a major Democratic mistake which they can not afford. It was an insult to have a lackluster candidate such as Coakley to take the seat of such a dynamic, legendary figure as Ted Kennedy.
Oh so NOW they are average Massachsetts Voters with limited political knowledge and lack sophistication. ok moron.

How Conveinent!

But all those years they voted Teddy boy in office and John Kerry and went Blue for every Presidential Election since 1984 they were smart liberal voters..

The left sounds so Pathetic after their loss.

Wait until Novemeber. They will be whining and bitchin for months.

they already have the rolodex of excuses ready.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
This is hilarious! All of a sudden, liberal Massachusetts, a true Blue state, is filled with people of little knowledge and sophistication?

Oh my, will the spin never end.

I would have described them that way in Nov of 2008.
It is so pathetic to listen to them talk right now.
they are such a bunch of whiney losers.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
This is hilarious! All of a sudden, liberal Massachusetts, a true Blue state, is filled with people of little knowledge and sophistication?

Oh my, will the spin never end.

I would have described them that way in Nov of 2008.
Well they did Keep the dinosaur Ted Kennedy in office up until his death.

Bawney Frank, John Kerry,

Wow Maybe he has a point.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:19 AM

3,018 posts, read 3,567,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
I want to address two equally moronic themes emerging over the last couple of days which seek to blame the omnipotent, dominant, super-human "Left" for the Democrats' woes -- one coming from right-wing Democrats and the other from hard-core Obama loyalists (those two categories are not mutually exclusive but, rather, often overlap).

Last night, Evan Bayh blamed the Democrats' problems on "the furthest left elements," which he claims dominates the Democratic Party -- seriously. And in one of the dumbest and most dishonest Op-Eds ever written, Lanny Davis echoes that claim in The Wall St. Journal: "Blame the Left for Massachusetts" (Davis attributes the unpopularity of health care reform to the "liberal" public option and mandate; he apparently doesn't know that the health care bill has no public option [someone should tell him], that the public option was one of the most popular provisions in the various proposals, and the "mandate" is there to please the insurance industry, not "the Left," which, in the absence of a public option, hates the mandate; Davis' claim that "candidate Obama's health-care proposal did not include a public option" is nothing short of an outright lie).
In what universe must someone be living to believe that the Democratic Party is controlled by "the Left," let alone "the furthest left elements" of the Party? As Ezra Klein says, the Left "ha[s] gotten exactly nothing they wanted in recent months." The Left wanted a single-payer system, then settled for a public option, then an opt-out public option, then Medicare expansion -- only to get none of it, instead being handed a bill that forces every American to buy health insurance from the private insurance industry. Nor was it "the Left" -- but rather corportist Democrats like Evan Bayh and Lanny Davis -- who cheered for the hated Wall Street bailout; blocked drug re-importation; are stopping genuine reform of the financial industry; prevented a larger stimulus package to lower unemployment; refuse to allow programs to help Americans with foreclosures; supported escalation in Afghanistan (twice); and favor the same Bush/Cheney terrorism policies of indefinite detention, military commissions, and state secrets.

The very idea that an administration run by Barack Obama and Rahm Emanuel and staffed with centrists, Wall Street mavens, and former Bush officials -- and a Congress beholden to Blue Dogs and Lieberdems -- has been captive "to the Left" is so patently false that everyone should be too embarrassed to utter it. For better or worse, the Democratic strategy has long been and still is to steer clear of their leftist base and instead govern as "pragmatists" and centrists -- which means keeping the permanent Washington factions pleased. That strategy may or not be politically shrewd, but it is just a fact that the dreaded "Left" has gotten very little of what it wanted the entire year. Is there anyone who actually believes that "The Left" is in control of anything, let alone the Democratic Party? The fact that Lanny Davis -- to prove the Left's dominance -- has to cite one provision that was jettisoned (the public option) and another which the Left hates (the mandate) reflects how false that claim is. What are all of the Far Left policies the Democrats have been enacting and Obama has been advocating? I'd honestly love to know.

by Glenn Greenwald

The part in purple is most important, to me anyway.
The Republicans demand extreme measures and the Democrats eventually say okay.
Democrats start out asking for weak sh*t and then bargain down from there.

Why?

Old 01-21-2010, 07:22 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,789,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brubaker View Post

Why?
I have no clue.
Maybe they have some spine breaking machine that Democrats must pass through when they go to Congress.
A few Democrats have managed to have an intact spine but there aren't enough.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:24 AM

Quote:

Why?
Because deep down the House Democrats know they are a far left fringe in this country and Governing form the far left is suicidal.

The President cannot Govern from the far left but the members of the house can because they only need to satisfy their constiuants.

And house members' constituants come from a very specific location (district) and most of the time in these specific districts contain fringe elements that only fringe lunatic representatives (such as Ms Pelosi or Ms Boxer) appeal to.

Senators cannot go to the fringe because they have to represent an entire state.

This is why the current House health care Bill would never pass the Senate.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:30 AM

3,018 posts, read 3,567,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
Because deep down the House Democrats know they are a far left fringe in this country and Governing form the far left is suicidal.

The President cannot Govern from the far left but the members of the house can because they only need to satisfy their constiuants.

And house members' constituants come from a very specific location (district) and most of the time in these specific districts contain fringe elements that only fringe lunatic representatives (such as Ms Pelosi or Ms Boxer) appeal to.

Senators cannot go to the fringe because they have to represent an entire state.

Your post seems contradictory and misguided.

Senators serve longer terms and therefore are further from the voting public's reach.
That is one of the reasons that particular branch was constructed that way to begin with...or so I have been taught in GOVT 1301.

Etc. there are too many errors in that one post to even start on.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Your post seems contradictory and misguided.

Senators serve longer terms and therefore are further from the voting public's reach.
That is one of the reasons that particular branch was constructed that way to begin with...or so I have been taught in GOVT 1301.

Etc. there are too many errors in that one post to even start on.
Senators represent and must appeal to a much larger spectrum of political views then Representatives.

Sorry you are in denial.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:44 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,020,347 times
Quote:
Senators represent and must appeal to a much larger spectrum of political views then Representatives.

Sorry you are in denial.
Quote:

a Research 2000 poll of Brown voters in Massachusetts shows 82% of Obama voters who went for Brown in Massachusetts support the public option and by a 3:2 margin think that the current bill doesn't go far enough. The Obama voters who stayed home think the bill doesn't go far enough by a 6:1 margin.

HEALTH CARE BILL OPPONENTS THINK IT "DOESN'T GO FAR ENOUGH"
* by 3 to 2 among Obama voters who voted for Brown
* by 6 to 1 among Obama voters who stayed home

(18% of Obama supporters who voted supported Brown.)

VOTERS OVERWHELMINGLY SUPPORT THE PUBLIC OPTION
* 82% of Obama voters who voted for Brown
* 86% of Obama voters who stayed home

Old 01-21-2010, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
a Research 2000 poll of Brown voters in Massachusetts shows 82% of Obama voters who went for Brown in Massachusetts support the public option and by a 3:2 margin think that the current bill doesn't go far enough. The Obama voters who stayed home think the bill doesn't go far enough by a 6:1 margin.

HEALTH CARE BILL OPPONENTS THINK IT "DOESN'T GO FAR ENOUGH"
* by 3 to 2 among Obama voters who voted for Brown
* by 6 to 1 among Obama voters who stayed home

(18% of Obama supporters who voted supported Brown.)

VOTERS OVERWHELMINGLY SUPPORT THE PUBLIC OPTION
* 82% of Obama voters who voted for Brown
* 86% of Obama voters who stayed home
As I posted in another thread this tells me people are fed up with the outrageous and reckless spending.

I would like to see a poll on what people were voting for when they voted for Brown.

My guess (for what it is worth) is fiscal responsibility. If the US government was not facing the fiscal crisis it is facing, due to said reckless spending, I think Healthcare would have a much better chance of getting done.

The point is voters do not view Healthcare reform as priority number 1 right now.

They first want to get the spending undercontrol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies