Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2010, 10:02 AM

1,895 posts, read 3,416,198 times

Advertisements

I searched a bit to find a thread taking this debate on, and came up empty.

Sooo, I believe the Two Party System (Republicans vs. Democrats) is a failing system...and the whole political system we have now thrives on that very issue, keeping americans divided into one or the other keeps americans from seeing the bigger issue such as unity and people being elected b/c they are intelligent with a great deal of common sense.

I'm 33, got into politics a bit late, but in my mid 20's I fell into the Republican side of politics...after a while, I found myself aggreeing mostly the Conservative ideas out there. After George W. Bush's first term, I came to realize, that just because i'm Conservative, doesn't mean I have to be Republican.

I voted for Ron Paul in the last election. He was a perfect example of someone I believe would have America in his best interests...unfortunately, he wasn't "backed" by the Republican Party, so it's almost like he was done before he ever really got started! I hope he opened some eyes out there, that there are other choices besides what the Republican's and the Democrat's throw out there!

My dream is for one day, Americans buck the system...and elect someone that truly has America's best interest, rather than the interests of those padding his/her wallet. Someone that is free to call himself whatever he wants, not to be a slave to a Republican or Democrat Party!

your thoughts??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 10:08 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Ron Paul really just appealed to those who want to eliminate things like the fed and many government depts. He pretty much is the old states rights and isolationist candidate. He had limited appeal much like Nader really.

Old 01-21-2010, 10:19 AM

5,758 posts, read 11,636,388 times
Quote:
and elect someone that truly has America's best interest, rather than the interests of those padding his/her wallet.
Into the presidency?

It wouldn't matter that much, since legislation would still arise out of the Congress, which is riddled with so much special-interest money that "honest" legislation is basically impossible in many areas.

When you have a "first past the post" electoral system like we do in the US, the usual outcome is two parties. This effect becomes stronger over time as the two main parties entrench themselves and blockade competitors.

There is really no way around that, without a Constitutional amendment calling for something like a proportional representation system. And that would obviously be a total nonstarter within the current two-party system.

Old 01-21-2010, 10:43 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
You voted for Ron Paul? If you lived in his district (as I do) you'd have had no choice. For about 15% of all Americans, there is a one party system, and only one name appears on the congressional ballot. In Arkansas in 2008, every candidate for Senate and House was unopposed, so the whole state was left without any choice at all. (Or maybe it was '06, I can't remember for sure now.)

Before I moved to Ron Paul's district, I was registered in Tom Petri's district, and he also ran unopposed in every election that I had a hankering to vote in. So it has been decades since I've had a vote.

I think if there were multiple parties, there would be at least two on the ballot in every district.

Old 01-21-2010, 12:19 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
I try to imagine the United States under a multiparty system like so many European countries have. And every time I do, I shudder at the thought of a Congress even more paralyzed than what we have now.

A legitimate third party, sure. Even a fourth party. But no more than that, please.

Old 01-21-2010, 12:24 PM

1,895 posts, read 3,416,198 times
maybe it's not the Two Party system that's actually failing...maybe it has to do with the interested parties that fund these systems...

seems like politicians try harder at not trying to lose the support of those special interests than they do at actaully getting stuff done...

Old 01-21-2010, 04:23 PM

81 posts, read 45,368 times
This would never fly. Obama himself said (without the use of a negro accent) that blacks are not smart enough to know who to vote for without the big D after the name.

Old 01-21-2010, 04:27 PM

37,972 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugerjitsu View Post
{snip} My dream is for one day, Americans buck the system...and elect someone that truly has America's best interest, rather than the interests of those padding his/her wallet. Someone that is free to call himself whatever he wants, not to be a slave to a Republican or Democrat Party!

your thoughts??
First we need more voters that do not fit your description.

Old 01-21-2010, 05:32 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,530,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugerjitsu View Post
maybe it's not the Two Party system that's actually failing...maybe it has to do with the interested parties that fund these systems...

seems like politicians try harder at not trying to lose the support of those special interests than they do at actaully getting stuff done...

Maybe it's the voters who are failing. Maybe it's US, not them, who are too lazy and too unconcerned to actually enter the fray. If a candidate is unopposed, it's not because of some 2 party conspiracy; it's because nobody stepped up the plate.

Old 01-21-2010, 05:45 PM

1,476 posts, read 1,776,222 times
Well even if Ron Paul was elected I don't see many of his policies getting past congress and the senate. Anyway both parties are controlled by special interest, and likely an independent party would be too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies