Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support or oppose Biblical references on military weapons?
Support 13 18.31%
Oppose 38 53.52%
Don't care 20 28.17%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 05:45 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,871,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejitsu View Post
Christian Taliban?

While the Religious Right can gladly go f--k themselves and quit shoving their belief in make believe down everyone's throat; how does the Christian Right in the US resemble the Taliban in just about anything? I would like a serious answer from you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 05:59 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,290,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Yes, over Lazarus and the unbelief of the people around him. It has nothing to do with the discussion here. That's what takes away your credibility - that kind of twisting and taking quotes out of context.

oooh, just like the xians do.

"The rest of us" ?? are you one of them? BTW, WHY do they blow themselves up? Never could figure that out. Just because somebody told them to? Dumb.

Try desperation and contempt for the US. After all, we did attack a sovereign nation for what reason?

Wars are a part of life. An unfortunate, lousy part of life on this planet. It is what it is. Jesus said it would be so:

When you hear of wars and rumors of wars, do not be alarmed. Such things must happen, but the end is still to come. 8 Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be earthquakes in various places, and famines. Mark 13:6-8
War does not have to be part of life.

Some posters' motives are always suspect; I've come to expect that.

Yes, so is yours. If you knew anything about Jesus, you would know that.
Then you know that there is no proof that there ever was a Jesus. His cult followers leave a lot to be desired.

Then why are there no atheists in foxholes?

Outreach & Events
Just like there are no xians in in prison.

Reasonable, sensible post. Thank you for your service (and thanks to others here who have served)

I'm an atheist who has served and I hate all wars.

Thanks for pointing that out, but some people just won't get it.
Mirror?
My responses in blue.

Old 01-21-2010, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
As a matter of fact, complaints were filed by soldiers. You're right, the makers of these scopes sure are making a mountain out of a mole hill by putting bible codes on them. It'd probably save them time and money by just using a regular serial number system. I wonder if they quality inspect for book, verse and passage number?
And pass the cost on to the taxpayer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
Sounds like the rifle scopes with inscriptions don't officially violate military policy, but that future orders won't include the inscriptions:

'Undesirable' biblical references to be removed | Stuff.co.nz
That's a New Zealand article; apparently they have had the same problems.
It's not germane to the US (as far as laws/policies being broken).

Old 01-21-2010, 06:17 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,698,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
My responses in blue.
Oh my. Why such anger? Jesus is a historical figure, documented by historians. Yes, there are Christians in prisons. Ever hear of prison ministries, Chuck Colson's being the better known.

They blow themselves up because of "desperation and contempt for the US. ? Are you serious?

No war does not HAVE to be part of life, but it is. What is your solution?

BTW, my responses were to several other posts; I didn't see your name among them. But, that's OK. Gives the angry anti-God crowd the opportunity to vent.

Old 01-21-2010, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Oh my. Why such anger? Jesus is a historical figure, documented by historians. Yes, there are Christians in prisons. Ever hear of prison ministries, Chuck Colson's being the better known.

They blow themselves up because of "desperation and contempt for the US. ? Are you serious?

No war does not HAVE to be part of life, but it is. What is your solution?

BTW, my responses were to several other posts; I didn't see your name among them. But, that's OK. Gives the angry anti-God crowd the opportunity to vent.
No, Jesus is documented in the bible only. You're using a book to prove itself.
I just want you to keep your religion out of my government. Pretty simple.
Those are my tax dollars used for your cult beliefs.

Your comment about no atheists in foxholes is pure and unadulterated garbage.
You, sir, are simply making things up to suit your religious beliefs that you want to force on everyone else.

Old 01-21-2010, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
I hope you're not talking about my great-nephew who did several tours in Iraq and came back having a really hard time dealing with the guilt of taking lives which went against his seriously devout Catholic upbringing. He joined after 9-11 and knew full well he'd be fighting. But for the others who do join for the so-called free ride can you really blame them for getting that impression when the recruiters and recruiting advertisement talk about little else but the benefits?
I think those who do several tours of duty do so because they believe in the mission. It's to be admired, respected and appreciated. And I do appreciate our military men and women. This expresses it better than I can:

It is the soldier, not the President, who gives us Democracy.
It is the soldier, not Congress, who takes care of us...
...It is the soldier who salutes the flag, serves beneath the flag, whose coffin is draped by the flag, that allows the protestor to burn the flag....Father Dennis O'Brien, US Marine Corps Chaplain.

Old 01-21-2010, 06:42 AM

Quote:
I think those who do several tours of duty do so because they believe in the mission. It's to be admired, respected and appreciated. And I do appreciate our military men and women. This expresses it better than I can:

It is the soldier, not the President, who gives us Democracy.
It is the soldier, not Congress, who takes care of us...
...It is the soldier who salutes the flag, serves beneath the flag, whose coffin is draped by the flag, that allows the protestor to burn the flag....Father Dennis O'Brien, US Marine Corps Chaplain.
You don't have a choice in the all-volunteer army as to whether or not you do more than one tour. You signed a contract; you do what you're told. You can't quit after one tour unless it's the end of your enlistment. And I see a lot of soldiers quit as soon as they can. I know some people who have been deployed 3-4 times in 5 years.

It is not simply because they believe in the mission; some do; most I've talked to don't. I work on a military base so I'm a little more in touch with them than you seem to be.

Last edited by chielgirl; 01-21-2010 at 07:41 AM..

Old 01-21-2010, 07:00 AM

Quote:
No, Jesus is documented in the bible only. You're using a book to prove itself.
I just want you to keep your religion out of my government. Pretty simple.
Those are my tax dollars used for your cult beliefs.

Your comment about no atheists in foxholes is pure and unadulterated garbage.
You, sir, are simply making things up to suit your religious beliefs that you want to force on everyone else.
I hate to go off topic, but I also hate to see ignorance proliferated. The "foxhole" item is a frequently used saying: "there are no atheists in foxholes". Maybe you've never heard it before.

I'm not forcing my beliefs on anyone. Just stating them with the freedom of speech that we all enjoy. This is not China (yet); as to your other charges, I have no issue with separation of Church and State as long as the law is not not misused and abused; and Jesus is documented outside of Scripture by historians of the time. All one needs to do to find it is make a search for the info.

As it relates to this topic, not sure where you see your tax dollars used for my "cult beliefs". I doubt that the scripture verse inserted into the serial number added anything to the cost that you had to pay for the weapon.

It could well have been placed there as a blessing to the troops, and an acknowledgement of their sacrifice and service in the cause of freedom..
Jesus said "Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends" (John 15:13). There are thousands upon thousands of soldiers over the years who have done that, and just as many were willing to do so.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:06 AM

Quote:
You don't have a choice in the all-volunteer army as to whether or not you do more than one tour. You signed a contract; you do what you're told. You can't quit after one tour unless it's the end of your enlistment. And I see a log of soldiers quit as soon as they can. I know some people who have been deployed 3-4 times in 5 years.

It is not simply because they believe in the mission; some do; most I've talked to don't. I work on a military base so I'm a little more in touch with them than you seem to be.
That's interesting. Maybe you do know more about this. However, I've seen a lot of interviews and not one of them says he's going back because he has to. They all said they want to - that they can't wait to get back with their fellow soldiers to help get the job done. Even those who have lost limbs and are going through rehab want to go back.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:13 AM

Quote:
I hate to go off topic, but I also hate to see ignorance proliferated. The "foxhole" item is a frequently used saying: "there are no atheists in foxholes". Maybe you've never heard it before. I'm not forcing my beliefs on anyone. Just stating them with the freedom of speech that we all enjoy. This is not China (yet); as to your other charges, I have no issue with separation of Church and State as long as the law is not not misused and abused; and Jesus is documented outside of Scripture by historians of the time. All one needs to do to find it is make a search for the info. As it relates to this topic, not sure where you see your tax dollars used for my "cult beliefs". I doubt that the scripture verse inserted into the serial number added anything to the cost that you had to pay for the weapon. It could well have been placed there as a blessing to the troops, and an acknowledgement of their sacrifice and service in the cause of freedom.. Jesus said "Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends" (John 15:13). There are thousands upon thousands of soldiers over the years who have done that, and just as many were willing to do so.
I've heard it and it's inaccurate.
It's a way the religious try to justify themselves. In a word, garbage.

Nope, not really, please find something from the time documenting his existence. The Romans kept excellent records. He's not mentioned.

I'd rather see something from the Koran, you wouldn't mind that, would you? Xians would be the first to whine if that were the case.

I don't care what your make believe Jesus said. It's irrelevant and unproven.

I don't want a blessing from your sky daddy. It's inappropriate and presumptuous; well, yeah, it is xian; the xian taliban. Their way or no way.

Quote:
That's interesting. Maybe you do know more about this. However, I've seen a lot of interviews and not one of them says he's going back because he has to. They all said they want to - that they can't wait to get back with their fellow soldiers to help get the job done. Even those who have lost limbs and are going through rehab want to go back.
They don't have a choice. I don't know what you're watching, oops, maybe I do, but they don't have a choice as far as deployments.

Last edited by chielgirl; 01-21-2010 at 07:31 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies