Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 07:41 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,742,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
No...not really. Are you telling me I need to feel guilty for living in the USA? Should we have a telethon for EVERY poor nation on earth because we are the land of plenty? BS!!!
If we keep our current problems up we will BE that poor nation that everyone has a telethon for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2010, 07:42 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,312,855 times
Quote:
You are missing the point. The point is that if our own nation rallied around our own issues with this much passion, then most of our problems would be solved.
And where in the OP's topic did it say that? But since you brought it up, didn't we all rally around to help after 9-11? Celebrities did a telethon after Katrina, too. People don't seem to realize that we could have as many AMERICANS dead in Haiti as what died in 9-11. The U.S. ambassador to Haiti estimates as many as 40,000 Americans were in the country at the time of the earthquake. By helping Haiti we are also helping many of our own.

Fleeing Americans crowd Haitian airport - Haiti earthquake- msnbc.com

Old 01-22-2010, 07:42 PM

2,196 posts, read 1,994,507 times
Quote:
You are missing the point. The point is that if our own nation rallied around our own issues with this much passion, then most of our problems would be solved.
BRAVO kentuckdad95 ... You are trying your level best to simplify the main point of your tremendous Post to the most elementary level for the benefit of some of these folks ! Perhaps they shall retrieve the point this time and then again perhaps not. Unfortunately you are facing a most daunting task ... Good luck !

It is indeed unfortunate that America does not receive the same intensive level of assistance when disaster strikes ! Thanks / Lamar

Old 01-22-2010, 07:43 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
The United States Military, and the Medical Corp is VERY WELL REPRESENTED there. The Navy has 100's of Medical Personnel on the ground - from Corpsmen to Doctors. The Hospital Ship Mercy is there. The Carl Vinson is there. Mobile Surgical theaters are up and running

May I suggest you become more informed
I read what I read. Troops are being diverted from the ME to go to Haiti.
4K more Marines are on their way. The article didn't say if all those 4K were medics.

Old 01-22-2010, 07:44 PM

12,373 posts, read 13,194,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
<snip>Why do does the US try to play God to the world when we got MANY of OUR own issues to deal with? I'll never know.
Do you think it's only the US involved in this relief effort? If you do then you are sorely mistaken.

Old 01-22-2010, 07:46 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,312,855 times
Quote:
No...not really. Are you telling me I need to feel guilty for living in the USA? Should we have a telethon for EVERY poor nation on earth because we are the land of plenty? BS!!!
What does it matter to you how many poor countries celebrities try to help with a telethon? No one is forcing you to watch it at gun point.

Old 01-22-2010, 07:46 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Three million people in Haiti are in pain and in great need and you're laughing at an effort to help? If you want empathy for issues that you care about then it helps to have empathy for issues that effect others. What goes around comes around.
It was just my initial gut reaction. Some of us have negative reactions to people begging for money.

Old 01-22-2010, 07:48 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I read what I read. Troops are being diverted from the ME to go to Haiti.
4K more Marines are on their way. The article didn't say if all those 4K were medics.
Medical staff from Balboa Navy Hospital and Camp Pendleton Navy Hospital are on the ground there now.

The Mercy has 100's of Medical troops. As does the Vinson.

Didn't you know this?

Old 01-22-2010, 07:50 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,681,743 times
Quote:
We just got home from a family dinner out and flipped on the tv and see Reese Witherspoon answering the phones.

Holy hell...if this country would band together on our own issues this much, we, as a nation, would be unstoppable!!!
"This Hope For Haiti show is making me want to vomit"

It takes all kinds. What say we throw a hissy fit.

Old 01-22-2010, 07:50 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,389,847 times
Quote:
We just got home from a family dinner out and flipped on the tv and see Reese Witherspoon answering the phones.

Holy hell...if this country would band together on our own issues this much, we, as a nation, would be unstoppable!!!
Sad that you would be disturbed by others helping the nation of Haiti. I would be very embarrassed to post such a complaint & it makes me think twice before I will ever read anything you post again. Probably claim to be Christian, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies