Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 11:54 AM

1,476 posts, read 1,776,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
A new US assessment of Venezuela's oil reserves could give the country double the supplies of Saudi Arabia.
Source: BBC News - Venezuela oil 'may double Saudi Arabia'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2010, 12:08 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,766,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joejitsu View Post
That is bad news for them. No doubt we will invade soon!

Old 01-23-2010, 12:09 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,291,852 times
Old news,
I've known that for decades
Several of my relatives worked in the oil industry in Venezuela

Venezuela's recognized oil reserves didn't include what is known as "Bitumen", "heavy oil" or "oil sand" (same than in Canada)
One of my relatives always told me that Venezuela's recognized oil reserves didn't include Bitumen for political reasons.

Here's an article from 1990 about it
Venezuela Pushing 'Liquid Coal' - NYTimes.com - October 1990

The world's largest deposits of extra-heavy crude and bitumen - 1.2 trillion barrels - lie below the dry, flat plains here in northeast Venezuela. With current technology, largely steam injection, about 22 percent, or 270 billion barrels, can be recovered, making the field equal to slightly more than one-quarter of the world's proven oil reserves.

Old 01-23-2010, 01:08 PM

2,574 posts, read 2,488,948 times
Who cares?
Let's proceed with solar / nuclear / hydrogen powered economy & leave those peasants with ...oil in their hands...

We carried the Arabs for half a century on our backs...

No more favours...

Let's go for an USA 100% independent from foreign oil...

Old 01-23-2010, 02:36 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,317,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
A ridiculous claim which always turns out to be not so.

No need to anyway, if the libs allow us to drill in our own country.

Old 01-23-2010, 02:46 PM

Of course they don't say what kind of oil it is. There is plenty of oil all over the Earth. Canada, Alaska and even the USA have tons of it. There will never be a shortage of oil. The problem is the quality of the oil. The Arabs have a very good quality of crude called "sweet and light" which is very cheap to recover and refine. Most of the rest of the world has heavy "mud" oil that is much more costly to recover and refine. That is why we don't mess with it. It would cost much more to get it and refine it vs buying it from the Arabs.

Old 01-23-2010, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
A ridiculous claim which always turns out to be not so.

No need to anyway, if the libs allow us to drill in our own country.
Many thousands of acres have been opened for drilling and the oil companies have not drilled them because the oil there is harder and more expensive to get than the oil the Arabs have. Gasoline would have to be like $5 a gallon to make the investment worth it.

Old 01-23-2010, 04:47 PM

2,476 posts, read 2,604,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post

Maybe you should go over there and defend them.....

Old 01-23-2010, 04:52 PM

631 posts, read 1,290,816 times
Sometimes I wonder if anybody has actually ever really sat down and considered what will happen when we run out of oil (which takes millions of years to form from dead creatures). Oh well I suppose we'll leave it for future generations to figure out just as we lean on our ancestors backs today. I guess we've just become too pampered.

I mean, we use oil in paint, food, paper, cars, lights, to keep us warm, to keep us cool, EVERYTHING - when will we stop this addiction?

Old 01-23-2010, 04:55 PM

119 posts, read 197,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVA-Jsn20 View Post
Sometimes I wonder if anybody has actually ever really sat down and considered what will happen when we run out of oil (which takes millions of years to form from dead creatures). Oh well I suppose we'll leave it for future generations to figure out just as we lean on our ancestors backs today. I guess we've just become too pampered.

I mean, we use oil in paint, food, paper, cars, lights, to keep us warm, to keep us cool, EVERYTHING - when will we stop this addiction?
How many heroin junkies stop using when they have a weeks supply on the night stand? I would guess that they would be the exception to the rule.

We aren't going to stop using oil until we have to or it is easy to. Hopefully the easy part comes first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies