Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 09:11 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,122,816 times

Advertisements

Well, here is an interesting story, and demonstrates how both sides of the river can gather forces to sue for personal issues, not necessarily more general population issues.

Family of girl, 12, sues after 'Brokeback' shown in class :: CHICAGO SUN-TIMES :: Education (http://www.suntimes.com/news/education/383097,CST-NWS-broke13.article - broken link)

What's your take on this and other lawsuits of a personal nature against schools, or other public institutions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2007, 10:21 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Well, here is an interesting story, and demonstrates how both sides of the river can gather forces to sue for personal issues, not necessarily more general population issues.

Family of girl, 12, sues after 'Brokeback' shown in class :: CHICAGO SUN-TIMES :: Education (http://www.suntimes.com/news/education/383097,CST-NWS-broke13.article - broken link)

What's your take on this and other lawsuits of a personal nature against schools, or other public institutions?
For some reason the link is giving my computer agita and won't open but my first question, regardless of content, would be why is an 'R' rated movie being shown to a 12 year old?

Old 05-26-2007, 10:22 AM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
I think some people are just sue-happy, and out for a quick buck... I don't think that movie is appropriate in a school, due to a few graphic scenes, but $400,000?? I doubt watching a movie could traumatize anyone that much, to be worth nearly half a million dollars.

When I was in 5th grade, the teachers showed us the Twilight Zone movie on Halloween - scared the bejeezus out of me (remember "wanna see something reeaallly scary??" and the demon on the airplane wing? ), but you don't see me living off a huge lawsuit because of it!

Old 05-26-2007, 10:36 AM

It's opening for me, burdell---perhaps it is foxing.

I do think that 12 year olds should learn about sex education. I didn't follow the story, but I did see this article about a lawsuit.

The issue is the lawsuit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
For some reason the link is giving my computer agita and won't open but my first question, regardless of content, would be why is an 'R' rated movie being shown to a 12 year old?

Old 05-26-2007, 10:38 AM

I've already forgotten that there was one or more graphic scenes. But I am over 12.

So, the issue might be should a film like this be shown at school, not an issue for another lawsuit.

Or at least that is my take on it.

I'm probably too liberal. I remember giving my kids "Kafka" to read in 5th or 6th grade. I also remember it didn't hurt them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I think some people are just sue-happy, and out for a quick buck... I don't think that movie is appropriate in a school, due to a few graphic scenes, but $400,000?? I doubt watching a movie could traumatize anyone that much, to be worth nearly half a million dollars.

When I was in 5th grade, the teachers showed us the Twilight Zone movie on Halloween - scared the bejeezus out of me (remember "wanna see something reeaallly scary??" and the demon on the airplane wing? ), but you don't see me living off a huge lawsuit because of it!

Old 05-26-2007, 10:45 AM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
I've already forgotten that there was one or more graphic scenes. But I am over 12.

So, the issue might be should a film like this be shown at school, not an issue for another lawsuit.

Or at least that is my take on it.

I'm probably too liberal. I remember giving my kids "Kafka" to read in 5th or 6th grade. I also remember it didn't hurt them.
Oh, trust me - as a youth librarian, I'm completely against censoring what people read or watch... in fact, it's part of our professional guidelines (according the ALA's Library Bill of Rights) to fight censorship at any cost. But at the same time, I do think teachers have a responsibility to choose age-appropriate materials, especially when it comes to movies. I personally wouldn't care if my 12 year-old watched "Brokeback Mountain", but not all parents are that liberal... so I agree it shouldn't have been shown, though I definitely do not agree with suing anyone over it. Are people really becoming that wussi-fied (my own word, lol), or is it just simple greed?

Old 05-26-2007, 10:50 AM

So many lawsuits have won that it is probably a combination of wussi-fied and greed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Oh, trust me - as a youth librarian, I'm completely against censoring what people read or watch... in fact, it's part of our professional guidelines (according the ALA's Library Bill of Rights) to fight censorship at any cost. But at the same time, I do think teachers have a responsibility to choose age-appropriate materials, especially when it comes to movies. I personally wouldn't care if my 12 year-old watched "Brokeback Mountain", but not all parents are that liberal... so I agree it shouldn't have been shown, though I definitely do not agree with suing anyone over it. Are people really becoming that wussi-fied (my own word, lol), or is it just simple greed?

Old 05-26-2007, 11:02 AM

2,267 posts, read 3,298,887 times
My daughters school always sends home a permission slip to parents before they show ANY movie to children...no matter the rating and the parent can opt out of they want to...but mind you this is the school who fingerprinted her and her whole class

I would be ripped if it were my child they showed this movie too, not because of the homosexual theme but because an R rated movie is not appropriate UNLESS I AS THE PARENT SAYS IT IS.

My daughter is aware that some men are with women, some women are with women and some men are with men...but at the age she is now, 10 or 12, she does not need to know what any of us do in order to be intimate...

I don't know I would need to sue, I would be comfortable if all concerned were fired...I am to THAT point with the idioacy that goes on at my daughters school...

Something has to be done to these people so they will get a clue...

Old 05-26-2007, 11:30 AM

Thanks for weighing in, Lisa. I see your point and agree it is always best and wisest to have a parent's approval on sensitive issues.

I don't know if the entire story is reported, but I suppose I'd give passes on a first offense. Young teachers try hard, and old teachers try hard, but as they are human, they do make mistakes. I think someone posted a poll about would you be a teacher. I voted no. It has to be among the hardest and sometimes least rewarding professions and with low pay.

Take care!

Old 05-26-2007, 12:00 PM

9,891 posts, read 10,825,432 times
Quote:

Well at least we can be sure that there is no homosexual agenda !! Mrs Buford would be suffering a wrath unlike she had never dreamed if this was my child,she would be wishing she were on brokeback mountain, the school would have to be put on lockdown, sueing would be a last resort, if I wasnt satisfied that heads were going to roll!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies