Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 02:20 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Unions have nothing to do with that. Just look at other companies with unions or not, and you will see the same thing. Look at Detroit for example. Did the union saved these people's jobs? Some are the Japanese companies in the US are doing fine and maintaing their non-union workforces. Ford too is doing fine, and is maintaining its unionized workforce.
The unions sure did not. In fact the unions supported the globalist politicians like Bill Clinton who signed NAFTA which was meant to ship out our jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2010, 02:41 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,515,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Thornley View Post
As a prev. employee of WalMart, I wouldn't advise anyone to work for them, they cut your hours to 28-32 where you can be a 40 hr employee and rec. benefits. You have to fight tooth and nail to get your insurance to pay any claims, first you have to use all your sick time, then vacation time, then if you're still off work they might pay on the insurance claim. They don't pay very well, cut your hours where you can't get decent benefits. If Sam was still alive there would be clothing MADE BY AMERICANS, AND NOTHING FROM CHINA........HE WAS SO PROUD TO HAVE HIS MERCHANDISE MADE IN AMERICA MADE BY AMERICANS.
Sounds like all other part time jobs I've ever had as a teenager. Cry me a river.

Old 01-25-2010, 02:44 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,515,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
What's funny is the people who support Wal-Mart are not educated and wealthy white collar people. The people who support Wal-Mart are the very people who they fire and don't provide benefits to. It just goes to show you this country judges things on tone instead of substance. Blue collar people like Wal-Mart because of its image. They think Wal-Mart represent good ole country folk with conservative Christian values because they are from Arkansas and waive a lot of U.S. flags in their store.
But Hillary Clinton was on Walmart's board. She's White, educated, and wealthy.

Old 01-25-2010, 04:51 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,218,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
It appears that the unions have once againh wrecked an innocent big American corporation! OH!! I forgot- they don't have any union!
Wal-Mart cuts about 11,200 Sam's Club staffers - Yahoo! News
From your article
It's not a cost cutting measure, its really an investment in enhancing our demo program," he said. Cornell added that Shopper Events plans to hire "roughly the same number of people" cut, and said Sam's Club workers are invited to apply for those positions.

So those positions being cut by wall mart are being hired by shopperes events.

Old 01-25-2010, 04:57 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,908,341 times
if anyone expects america to get behind the unions, the unions better quit making sweetheart deals with the government at the expense of the rest of america, and they better quit supporting illegal immigration at the expense of the rest of the workers in america.

the unions have clearly lost their way.

Old 01-25-2010, 04:59 AM

8,624 posts, read 9,085,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
It appears that the unions have once againh wrecked an innocent big American corporation! OH!! I forgot- they don't have any union!
Wal-Mart cuts about 11,200 Sam's Club staffers - Yahoo! News

What is that saying? It's the economy stupid! OH!! I forgot- we don't have a decent president!

Old 01-25-2010, 05:32 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,308,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
I hope those nice sample ladies land on their feet. Apparently they will "have the opportunity" to reapply for positions with the new company. My take is that it's not cost cutting per se but that new hires will be expected to be more aggressive in converting to sales.
And they will be expected to hire in at a lower wage, I'll bet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♪♫♪♪♫♫♪♥ View Post
Whoever honestly thinks that union membership is protection from a layoff, please punch yourself in the face as hard as you can. Do it, do it NOW.
You got that right. Layoff are common in industrial factories where seasonal flexes in sales take place. Always have been. Always will be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
........And for the record, since the start of the recession, Walmart has only laid off about 13,000, or 0.6% of its employees. Union heavy companies like GM have laid off about 25%, or about 55,000 of their original 250,000 employees since the start of the recession.
You're talking apples and oranges. People stopped buying high ticket items like cars after the banking crisis last year but they could still afford to buy cheap Chinese stuff from Wal Mart. The union had nothing to do with that shift in sales that resulted in in the layoffs you talked about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
I am embarrassed even to have to explain it to you but the reason why our jobs are being outsourced is because the economic systems in the target countries is less developed so their 'dollar' is worth less than ours. Also, their governments are run much like ours and they abandon their poor people to their fate making them readily exploitable by our captains of industry. We will have to work for a lot less to make it worth it to American industrialists to repatriate the jobs they have sent south of the border or overseas! Are you prepared to live with eight other adult strangers in a two bedroom apartment?? Are you prepared to give up your car? Your girlfriend? Are you prepared to give up everything, just for the "Right To Work"? I am not. You are on a very slippery slope of rationalization and you will one day find yourself Moderator cut: Unnecessary comment
You are right on target. I don't get why so many people see nothing wrong with the U.S.A. entering the race to the bottom when it comes to wages and working conditions.

Last edited by 2goldens; 01-25-2010 at 11:07 AM..

Old 01-25-2010, 05:37 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,687,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
If this involves who I think it does, it is very sad. In my area, the only people involved in offering food samples and showcasing products were the elderly and disabled. That job might have been what kept them out of poverty.
Aww...good try, but you don't get any sympathy from me. Just like they don't get any sympathy from the government. If they exceed a certain amount of earned income, they have to lose a portion of their social security, so the government is determined to keep the elderly and disabled just under the poverty line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Thornley View Post
As a prev. employee of WalMart, I wouldn't advise anyone to work for them, they cut your hours to 28-32 where you can be a 40 hr employee and rec. benefits. You have to fight tooth and nail to get your insurance to pay any claims, first you have to use all your sick time, then vacation time, then if you're still off work they might pay on the insurance claim. They don't pay very well, cut your hours where you can't get decent benefits. If Sam was still alive there would be clothing MADE BY AMERICANS, AND NOTHING FROM CHINA........HE WAS SO PROUD TO HAVE HIS MERCHANDISE MADE IN AMERICA MADE BY AMERICANS.
UPS did the same thing, in order to be profitable. And there was a waiting list for openings at UPS.

As to "Made in America" - tell me what is made here any more. I haven't been able to find much lately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I shop at Target. If you want to hurt a company, hurt them in their wallet. Shop elsewhere.
And you think Target is better?

In the company's statement, they said that they are taking these steps to be more competitive with Costco and BJ's. Are the sampling demos done by store employees at either of these stores? I shop there, but I don't know the answer to that. Perhaps they are outsourced, and that's giving them an edge over Sam's Club.

Old 01-25-2010, 05:41 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
The fundamental economic myth of the American worker is that if they work smart and hard enough their employer will help them become a rich as Warren Buffet.

Old 01-25-2010, 05:44 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,687,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
The fundamental economic myth of the American worker is that if they work smart and hard enough they will become a rich as Warren Buffet and their employer will help.
The fundamental myth that if one works smart and hard enough is not a myth. It still pays off, handsomely, for many. However, it is a myth that the employer will help. Those days are long gone, and you know it.
(I know, your sarcasm was intended.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies