Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 08:13 PM

1,476 posts, read 1,775,462 times

Advertisements

Barnidge: If government doesn't control marijuana, criminals will - ContraCostaTimes.com

If you are anti-legailization you are pro-gang.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2010, 08:16 PM

631 posts, read 1,290,370 times
I actually made a poll about this the other day and the results were quite surprising. Here's a link to the thread

http://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...uana-bill.html

Old 01-24-2010, 08:47 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,140,088 times
I personally don't believe that if someone is against legalizing drugs,they are pro gang but I do believe that making them legal(which I am in favor of) would eliminate alot of need for dealers and would be the real economic stimulus that this country desperately needs.Get a company like Philip morris to do the production in the factory,hire tons of field workers,and then tax the hell out of it. I'm specifically talking about pot.Heroine,cocaine,etc...should still be illegal.Now if we did this and treated it like cigarettes or alcohol and put ages and impairment laws in effect,I think it could really help us get out of the hole.

Old 01-30-2010, 10:11 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,316,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
I personally don't believe that if someone is against legalizing drugs,they are pro gang but I do believe that making them legal(which I am in favor of) would eliminate alot of need for dealers and would be the real economic stimulus that this country desperately needs.Get a company like Philip morris to do the production in the factory,hire tons of field workers,and then tax the hell out of it. I'm specifically talking about pot.Heroine,cocaine,etc...should still be illegal.Now if we did this and treated it like cigarettes or alcohol and put ages and impairment laws in effect,I think it could really help us get out of the hole.
You think this nation can smoke its way to fiscal sanity?

Old 01-30-2010, 10:14 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,052,033 times
I don;t see the problem with legalizing pot. It's no worse then alcohol.

Though, if you burn out your brain with abuse, like your liver with liqueur, you will be just as screwed.

Old 01-30-2010, 10:40 PM

3,054 posts, read 2,924,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
I do believe that making them legal(which I am in favor of) would eliminate alot of need for dealers and would be the real economic stimulus that this country desperately needs.Get a company like Philip morris to do the production in the factory,hire tons of field workers,and then tax the hell out of it. Now if we did this and treated it like cigarettes or alcohol and put ages and impairment laws in effect,I think it could really help us get out of the hole.

Yes! This is exactly what I was thinking too. Think of how many jobs can be created by having at least one pot farm in every state--and several more in the larger states (or perhaps even one in every county). (I was just talking about this the other day with my preceptor and the other student at my rotation; how neat). Okay, it's pretty obvious the only reason why it's not legal is because gvt can't tax it--but I never understood *why* they couldn't treat it just as cigarettes and alcohol (drugs that are waaaay more dangerous than marijuana). It just never made any sense to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
You think this nation can smoke its way to fiscal sanity?
Exactly. I think its the answer we've all been waiting for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
I don;t see the problem with legalizing pot. It's no worse then alcohol.
It's way better than alcohol; I never understood why *that* was the one legalized... it's like one of the worst ones out there.

Old 01-30-2010, 11:19 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basiliximab View Post
It's way better than alcohol; I never understood why *that* was the one legalized... it's like one of the worst ones out there.
I think because it's been around so long, that people will find a way to drink it legal or not. They did during prohibition, and teens do it now. Easier to regulate it than to criminalize it.

Old 01-30-2010, 11:30 PM

2,667 posts, read 6,778,320 times
The legalization of marijuana is something that libertarians, liberals, and conservatives (the ones that highly lean libertarian) are almost always in agreement upon. The key populations that must get on board are conservatives (the more Republican-type), religious right, and a good portion of moderates. Good luck with that.

Fwiw, I happen to support legalization, regulation, and taxation - just as is done with alcohol.

Old 01-31-2010, 06:11 AM

745 posts, read 1,437,910 times
Quote:
I actually made a poll about this the other day and the results were quite surprising. Here's a link to the thread
I just checked your poll.... wow. I am not surprised that the majority is in favor of Legalization.... I AM surprised by the margin though.

I have heard arguments against and I understand them..... but I think the potential for tax revenue is just too much too pass up. (So long as it is put towards the defecit... not nonsense Govt programs!!).

Old 01-31-2010, 08:23 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,827,890 times
It would hurt their p[rofits but they would just increase their other dangerous drugs. It laos would likely mean more and eaier acess to marijuana and more driving under the influence of drugs just like eaily gotten alcohol that is a huge problem with many things in this country.Why encourage smoking marijuana when we are discouraging smoking tabacco.I amot in favor of encouraging dangerous habits just for the greed of tax money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies