Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2010, 02:19 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,527,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCallMeTC View Post
Don't think they were the first to get some on that desk.
Yeah, probably not.. Warren G. Harding though reportedly used the closet next to the Oval Office for encounters with his mistress.

Old 01-26-2010, 02:42 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
Actually, I DON'T remember when they did, and I'm 40.

Old 01-26-2010, 03:43 PM

1,224 posts, read 1,287,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
He's not the first president to put his feet up on the desk---I remember seeing a photo of Ford doing the same at the Gerald Ford Museum---and he won't be the last either. The only difference is that now the photos get released.
...I read somewhere that Ford didn't use the Resolute desk. Maybe he had his own.

Old 01-26-2010, 03:58 PM

1,793 posts, read 3,351,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
He doesnt have any business putting his feet up there either

Bush doing something doesnt make it ok for Obama to do. Neither 1 needs to be putting their feet on that desk
Pretty tacky no matter who it is. Perhaps it's a "guy thing?"

Old 01-26-2010, 04:14 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
Hint: Each President gets their OWN desk.

Old 01-26-2010, 04:29 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,754,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsurv View Post
I guess so, do you mean it is time for a woman...

Old 01-26-2010, 04:37 PM

15,095 posts, read 8,636,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Hint: Each President gets their OWN desk.
Not exactly. Each President is allowed to chose among several historic desks which they may use during their time in office. Hint: it ain't "His Desk", and he doesn't get to take it home with him when he leaves office.

One simply expects the president of the United States to possess the decorum and upbringing to treat historic items entrusted to him with due respect.

On the other hand, to Obama's credit, let's not forget that he did admonish his mother-in-law for performing voodoo rituals inside the White House , though I think that the motive behind it concerns the potential PR disaster it might create, rather than his and his "family's fitness for being allowed in the White House.

Old 01-26-2010, 06:07 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Nixon's Eighteen-Minute Gap - Oval Office tapes

(Sound of oval office door closing.) Pres.: "Bork, glad you could make it, grab a scotch or something, you know where it is, need to take care of some -- heh heh, business -- if you know what I mean... make yourself comfortable. If you need anything, just push that button over there... not the one marked "TO RUSSIA WITH LOVE." The smaller one... Pat's gonna drop by so just tell her I'm on maneuvers... she'll know what you mean... (quieter) oh, this is going to make the bombing of Cambodia look like child's play. (Door to Oval office washroom closes.)

Robert Bork: "Yes sir, Mr. President."

(Noise of ice cubes hitting cut crystal and a door closing.)

(Muffled) Pres.: "So Bork, did you deal with those problems we talked about earlier? You know the ones I mean -- the COXsucker, Dickardson and ****leshaus."

Bork: "Yes Mr. President, flushed just like you asked."

Pres.: "Good work son, you'll go far. Remind me to tell Pat next time we have the Thai ambassador over, none of that goddamn ***** food. My ass is redder than Krushev banging his shoe."

Bork: "Yes sir, Mr. President."

(Sound of door opening.) Mrs. Nixon: "No need to get up, Bob, I just need a second with Dick. Where is he?"

Pres.: "I'm in here, Mother; we've got the Chinese on the run now."
Mrs. Nixon to Robert Bork: "He's always a card in there. If people could just see his real sense of humor, this nasty business would all just pass like bad potato salad at a picnic."

Pres.: (Loudly) "What was that, Mother?"

Mrs. Nixon: "Never mind, Dick."

(Sound of footsteps and a door opening and closing.)
Mrs. Nixon: "Oh honey, use the freshener or light a match... and don't strain, you know what that does for your hemorrhoids. Julie and David will be over later, and the Shah of Iran is waiting to see you next."

Pres.: "The Shah, forgot about him. We should send him home -- he's got nothing to worry about. Pump oil, collect cash, oppress the masses. (Loud fart is heard.) Tell me, Mother, why did we have to have that special food when that Thai ambassador was over? You know how it tears me up inside. (Loud passing of gas.) Heh, heh, just hit them with some agent orange there, Mother, now we can commence bombing."

Mrs. Nixon: "Oh, Dick, you know we just need to be cordial, and ... Oh, Dick, this is bad!"

Pres.: "I can just see all the leaves dropping off those trees Mother. Preparing to open bomb bay doors!"

Mrs. Nixon: "I think I'll just wait out there, Dick."

Pres.: "Oh, Mother, be a sport. (Rapid sputtering of farts, a few tiny splashes are heard.) Did you hear that, Mother? Clearing the bush with napalm, heh heh, now when we get them out of Vietnam we can start dealing with them properly. You know, Mother, we'll sell them 400 million Hula hoops and God only knows how many cars -- (Grunting) -- and TVs. I was talking with a TV guy from Philco, he said the market for TVs over there is unbelievable. This is going to be the second Rape of Nanking -- (Loud splash, with quick firing farts) -- cluster bomb, Mother -- (Quiet sound of gas escaping) -- I think this is the nerve agent, dear, better hit the fan."

Mrs. Nixon: "I talked with Nancy Reagan; she says we are in her and Ron's prayers."
Pres.: "Ronnie's a good kid, not too swift, but he knows how to work the field. (Loud splash and massive sputtering, with a high-pitched farting noise.) Bombs away, Mother, the Ho Chi Minh trail is no more! You know, when I shook that bastard Mao's hand back in ‘72 I swore he pinched one off on me. Smelled of rice and cabbage. I think a photographer from UPI even got a pic of him wincing. And he calls ME a foreign devil. Couldn't help myself with the chuckle... heh heh, he'd done his research."

Pres.: "So, Mother, what was it you wanted?"

Mrs. Nixon: "I've forgotten, Dick. Looks like the nerve agent did its job."
Pres.: "Thelma, my girl, you always know the right thing to say. Will you give me a hand here mopping up the wounded? (Sound of paper unrolling.) Remember to get the ones hiding behind the remaining trees. While you're back, there better make a casualty report. How's the bomber?"

Mrs. Nixon: "Well, the bomb bay doors look a little stressed. Rivets look like they are popping out, too, but I'll give them a good going-over with some oil, and I'm sure we'll be ready for our next mission."

Pres.: "Do I need to call a medic? Or can we just get janitorial in here to do a bomb damage assessment on the old American Standard?"

Mrs. Nixon: "I think janitorial can do a proper BDA, and while they're at it they can look into Teflon coating it. Looks like our beach house's exterior after Hurricane Camille."

Pres.: "Mother, I don't know what I'd do without you. I know I don't say it enough, but you are the best."

Mrs. Nixon: "Oh Dick, don't get all maudlin. Owwwwwwwwwwww, I have a cramp in my finger -- could you give it a pull to straighten it out?"

Pres.: "OK, here goes, dear." (Sound of Nixon pulling his wife's finger.)
(MASSIVE FART SOUND)

Pres.: "Thirty-four years of marriage and you still make me smile every day, Thelma Catherine. (Sound of couple kissing.) Goodness me... did you have broccoli or sulfur pâté at lunch?"

Mrs. Nixon: "Just remember, Dick, you are not a crook."

Pres.: (In a deep resonant voice) "I am not a DOOK... heh heh... that works for me, too, Mother."
TAPE/TRANSCRIPT ENDS

Old 01-26-2010, 07:16 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsurv View Post
From the bipartisan pictures, it looks like it.

Old 01-26-2010, 07:38 PM

2,196 posts, read 1,994,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Some of these are new, **All are from WH photographer Pete Souza**
This speaks volumes about the President of the United States

HotAirPundit: Remember When Other Presidents Had Respect For The Oval Office?
Thanks bentlebee ... I just took a look at these sadly ignominious pictures of BHO in the White House ! ... The words that immediately came to mind upon completion of the picture review was : " And This Person Is Actually The President Of The United States " !!!

Damn the Oval Office situation is even more of a disaster than I imagined it to be !

Thanks / Lamar
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies