Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 12:12 PM

7,006 posts, read 7,001,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
Blacks rarely tip. Why? I don't know. It's just the facts.
I concur that blacks are horrible tippers. I know this because I used to wait staff at a restaurant and even the black waiters complained about blacks not leaving tips. It is what it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 12:22 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,349,209 times
You know who else is a terrible tipper? Shania Twain! A friend of mine was her driver for a concert and she stiffed him He was on the clock for 10 hours and all she did was complain about the weather and the food. She didn't even say thank you.

Old 01-26-2010, 12:22 PM

3,860 posts, read 8,457,624 times
I pay a 15-20% gratuity if the service is adequate. I refuse to call it a tip. IMO if one feels obligated to leave a tip then it's not a tip.

Old 01-26-2010, 12:34 PM

96 posts, read 270,500 times
it's so much easier in a lot of asian countries. they don't expect tips and i've had helpful and friendly cabbies give me back my tip like it was a personal offense.

Old 01-26-2010, 02:40 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,037,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
I pay a 15-20% gratuity if the service is adequate. I refuse to call it a tip. IMO if one feels obligated to leave a tip then it's not a tip.
I agree. The whole tipping nonsense has gotten out of hand in America. When feasible, I try to just take my food to go so I can avoid the whole tipping issue as it takes the joy out of the dining experience.

Old 01-26-2010, 02:47 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,150,110 times
Cracker Barrel knows all too well about this. Black tipping (or lack thereof) became such an issue for this restaurant that it devolved into a discrimination suit after no one wanted to wait on black customers.

Black people, are you listening? It's not cool to not tip. Your server provides you a service, you tip them for that service. What part of this equation do you not understand?

Great thread. Thanks AUIM

Old 01-26-2010, 02:48 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,469,853 times
No, being a tightwad cheapo plays the biggest role in how you tip.

A skin color can't tip, an individual tips.

Besides, they probably think that whoever is bringing the food is being paid to do a job so why should they provide 20% of their total bill in the form of a tip.

Does the quality of service increase with the amount of money you spend on a meal? I've never seen that happen before.

I'll tip a 15 to 20% depending on the quality of service I receive. I don't automatically tip 20% unless I believe the server was extraordinary.

Maybe whoever is receiving the service didn't believe the quality of service was anything special. Maybe the server had it in their head that "blacks don't tip, and here's a black person who is going to waste my time, I'm not going out of my way". Could be that the person tipping never worked in foodservice or a service oriented job to know what to tip.

Tips aren't obligatory they are recommended.

I don't know why people get their panties in a twist over this subject. In this economy be happy that you have a job.

Old 01-26-2010, 02:55 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,697,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
When feasible, I try to just take my food to go so I can avoid the whole tipping issue as it takes the joy out of the dining experience.
Same here. Also, there's a lot of "fast-serve" restaurants where tipping is not expected. Rubio's is a good example - I'm going there later today for some cheap fish tacos.

Old 01-26-2010, 02:59 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,469,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Cracker Barrel knows all too well about this. Black tipping (or lack thereof) became such an issue for this restaurant that it devolved into a discrimination suit after no one wanted to wait on black customers.

Black people, are you listening? It's not cool to not tip. Your server provides you a service, you tip them for that service. What part of this equation do you not understand?

Great thread. Thanks AUIM
Why not try this, give your order to the person who seats you, have mini pagers that go off at your table so that you can walk up to the kitchen window and retrieve your meal, that way the server doesn't have to "go out of their way" to serve anyone who doesn't want to tip them. They can eliminate the wait staff, and hire the bus boys to clean the tables at a decent hourly rate.

Would be a good option for Cracker Barrel.

I think this would be a great way to have a sit down meal in an inexpensive/moderately priced restaurant without having to leave a tip.

It's 2010 - those ServerRobots aren't too far away in the future - robotics is working on building a better waiter/waitress every day one day we won't have to worry about someone spitting in our soup because they don't like the way they're running around the restaurant for you and returning cold food.

Old 01-26-2010, 02:59 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,150,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
No, being a tightwad cheapo plays the biggest role in how you tip.

A skin color can't tip, an individual tips.

Besides, they probably think that whoever is bringing the food is being paid to do a job so why should they provide 20% of their total bill in the form of a tip.

Does the quality of service increase with the amount of money you spend on a meal? I've never seen that happen before.

I'll tip a 15 to 20% depending on the quality of service I receive. I don't automatically tip 20% unless I believe the server was extraordinary.

Maybe whoever is receiving the service didn't believe the quality of service was anything special. Maybe the server had it in their head that "blacks don't tip, and here's a black person who is going to waste my time, I'm not going out of my way". Could be that the person tipping never worked in foodservice or a service oriented job to know what to tip.

Tips aren't obligatory they are recommended.

I don't know why people get their panties in a twist over this subject. In this economy be happy that you have a job.
Good service and a good tip go hand in hand.

However, I believe the increase in the number of restaurants that add an "automatic tip to parties of 6 or more" are doing so because of an increase in the number of non-tipping patrons. Businesses find it hard to keep employees if they're not making money. And even in this economy $2.13/hour with no tips is no real reason to be happy to have a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies