Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 07:53 AM

81 posts, read 45,386 times

Advertisements

Well not really. Unemployment is up and expected to increase, spending is down, businesses are not hiring but well just say that it's getting better cause it's not getting bad as fast.

Way to go Barry, please focus more time on campaigning for November, you do that best.

Quote:
WASHINGTON (AP) -- The number of newly-laid off workers seeking jobless benefits unexpectedly rose last week, as the economy recovers at a slow and uneven pace.
Layoffs have slowed and the economy began to grow in last year's third quarter, but companies are reluctant to hire new workers. The unemployment rate is 10 percent and many economists expect it to increase in the coming months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 08:06 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,329,379 times
So glad the president and congress rushed passage of that stimulus bill last year. It did such wonders for our economy.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:08 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,226,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnc0628 View Post
Well not really. Unemployment is up and expected to increase, spending is down, businesses are not hiring but well just say that it's getting better cause it's not getting bad as fast.

Way to go Barry, please focus more time on campaigning for November, you do that best.
I guess you did not hear the recession is over

Old 01-21-2010, 08:09 AM

1,595 posts, read 2,988,477 times
Actually it is! At least here in Michigan.

Just this morning I heard that unemployment was down for the third month in a row. We're down to 14.6%. Whoo-hoo!

They attribute it, in part, to the modest amount of returning laid-off auto workers. I find this bittersweet.

Yeah it is great that things seem to be getting a little bit better every month but I am not comfortable that it is due largely to the auto industry. Michigan has got to get off its auto manufacturing dependency. This nauseating roller coaster ride is getting old.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:14 AM

5,165 posts, read 6,054,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J'aimeDesVilles View Post

Just this morning I heard that unemployment was down for the third month in a row. We're down to 14.6%. Whoo-hoo!

They attribute it, in part, to the modest amount of returning laid-off auto workers. I find this bittersweet.

Yeah it is great that things seem to be getting a little bit better every month but I am not comfortable that it is due largely to the auto industry. Michigan has got to get off its auto manufacturing dependency. This nauseating roller coaster ride is getting old.
You mean the Auto workers that are compensated with your tax dollars?

Oh that sounds great!

Old 01-21-2010, 08:19 AM

3,566 posts, read 3,734,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J'aimeDesVilles View Post

That plus the fact that Michigan is exporting its unemployed population to other states.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:22 AM

1,595 posts, read 2,988,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
You mean the Auto workers that are compensated with your tax dollars?

Oh that sounds great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
That plus the fact that Michigan is exporting its unemployed population to other states.
That glass is always half-empty, eh guys?

Old 01-21-2010, 08:24 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,427,201 times
My investments made money for the second straight quarter. But that was mostly from the bank stock mutual fund I own.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:39 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,058,406 times
Wait, weren't we supposed to be in the post apocalypse world yet? People have been saying we would be every month since the beginning of 2007, they would never be *GASP* wrong would they?

Old 01-29-2010, 05:25 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,450,261 times
I believe the economy around me is improving, when i no longer see Foreclosure Properties, on every corner. I will believe the economy is improving, when I see those that I love and freinds, no longer losing a stable job, or losing a home they built from scratch. I believe the economy is improving, when those around me can put a decent dinner on the dinner table at nite, not having to go to the 99cents store. I will believe with thy eyes, the economy is improving, because it will be something that i have witnessed, not something said to me i am suppose to believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies