Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 10:44 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,440,298 times

Advertisements

I hope there are more lawsuits like this! I am glad the Christians are awakening! Its about time!

Illinois candidate claims state 'hostile' to beliefs

A political candidate in this week's primary election for the office of comptroller in Illinois has filed a lawsuit against the state charging it officially expressed "hate" and "hostility" toward Christianity and other religions that include a belief in God by allowing atheists to post a sign in a state building at Christmas.

That sign, posted by the Freedom from Religion Foundation, said,:

At the time of the winter solstice, let reason prevail. There are no gods, no devils, no angels, no heaven or hell. There is only our natural world. Religion is just a myth and superstition that hardens hearts and enslaves minds.

It was placed in the Illinois Capitol Building, through which GOP comptroller candidate William J. Kelly, a cable television executive, was required to travel for his responsibilities as a candidate.

"The First Amendment of the United States Constitution, in conjunction with the 14th Amendment, forbids state action that has the effect of disapproving, inhibiting or evincing hostility toward religion,"

Atheists' 'hate' sign blasted in lawsuit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2010, 11:49 AM

971 posts, read 1,294,142 times
This lawsuit has no legs.

If you're going to allow religious messages and displays on governmental property, then you have to allow all religious messages and displays. The government can't discriminate by picking and choosing which religious messages and displays it will allow on governmental property at which it will not.

Last edited by denverkid; 01-31-2010 at 11:59 AM..

Old 01-31-2010, 11:56 AM

I love the atheist group's response:

"We atheists believe that the nativity scene is mocking humanity by suggesting that those who do not believe in Jesus will go to hell", Barker said. "But notice that we are not defacing or stealing nativity scenes because we disagree with their speech." - (this whole hoopla started when some christian tried to remove the atheist's display)

Why allow christian hate speech, but not atheist hate speech?

Last edited by denverkid; 01-31-2010 at 12:22 PM..

Old 01-31-2010, 11:56 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,179,956 times
"I hope there are more lawsuits like this! I am glad the Christians are awakening! Its about time!"
Since when have christains been awake? They'll never depart from La-La-Land!
Plenty of government buildings have been displaying christian messages for decades. An incident, such as described in the OP, irks the christians because they have enjoying top billing for decades. The infallible, superior religion will not tolerate competition.

Old 01-31-2010, 12:00 PM

423 posts, read 823,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
I hope there are more lawsuits like this! I am glad the Christians are awakening! Its about time!
Unbelievable! You were pushing your agenda and persecuting non-believers throughout the centuries, here in America religion crawled into just about every aspect of life. With the great help of Christian Coalition we're slowly turning into Christian Iran. I can't even get out of the house without being bugged by some baptist inviting to come to their church and pray for some bull****, and now because of some single incident of freedom of speech you're all of the sudden being offended???

Last edited by Mike from back east; 01-31-2010 at 01:28 PM..

Old 01-31-2010, 12:03 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times
Quote:
Can't handle a level playing field?

I've rarely seen a more transparent ploy to garner sympathy (and votes) - what a waste of court time.

Old 01-31-2010, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Can't handle a level playing field?

I've rarely seen a more transparent ploy to garner sympathy (and votes) - what a waste of court time.
So then what is it when a atheist in another state does not like a cross on a hill in another state? Tries to get it taken down!

What is it when a atheist does not like a donated ten commandments chiseled rock and wants it removed because they have to drive by it and dont like the look of it!

This will level out the the playing field with these types of actions! Dont like it to bad the Christians are tired of being complacent!

The Hate from the atheists is amazing they are nothing but big bullies using the law to spread their hate. I often wonder what is so wrong with their lives that they go after those who they despise is it because they are happy?

Old 01-31-2010, 01:29 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,323,498 times
Quote:

Illinois candidate claims state 'hostile' to beliefs

A political candidate in this week's primary election for the office of comptroller in Illinois has filed a lawsuit against the state charging it officially expressed "hate" and "hostility" toward Christianity and other religions that include a belief in God by allowing atheists to post a sign in a state building at Christmas.

That sign, posted by the Freedom from Religion Foundation, said,:

At the time of the winter solstice, let reason prevail. There are no gods, no devils, no angels, no heaven or hell. There is only our natural world. Religion is just a myth and superstition that hardens hearts and enslaves minds.

It was placed in the Illinois Capitol Building, through which GOP comptroller candidate William J. Kelly, a cable television executive, was required to travel for his responsibilities as a candidate.

"The First Amendment of the United States Constitution, in conjunction with the 14th Amendment, forbids state action that has the effect of disapproving, inhibiting or evincing hostility toward religion,"

Atheists' 'hate' sign blasted in lawsuit
I would have more respect for atheist groups if they weren't so over the top. Having a Christmas display is not in any way offensive to anyone, c'mon. So what, you don't believe in Christ, are your feelings really hurt because you saw a nativity scene? Every religion should be allowed to celebrate their own holidays in the way they deem fit. Nobody has to convert to Christianity because there is a nativity scene on display.

The atheist display was a full frontal attack against one religion's expression of their holiday. Being combative like that scores them no points. You catch more bees with honey than vinegar.

Old 01-31-2010, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
The atheist display was a full frontal attack against one religion's expression of their holiday. Being combative like that scores them no points. You catch more bees with honey than vinegar.
So? Atheists view government endorsement of religion and christians' insistence upon it (by having on public property, having God on our money, having God the pledge, blue laws, religious based moral laws (sodomy laws, bans on gay marriage) etc, etc, etc) as a full frontal attack against humanity and reason - what they believe in.

Maybe christians should stop being so "vinegar" and make the decision to keep their religion to themselves. If not that, then at least out of the courthouse, out of city hall, off the money, off of car lots and liquor stores on Sundays, etc, etc, etc.

Old 01-31-2010, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
"I hope there are more lawsuits like this! I am glad the Christians are awakening! Its about time!"
Since when have christains been awake? They'll never depart from La-La-Land!
Plenty of government buildings have been displaying christian messages for decades. An incident, such as described in the OP, irks the christians because they have enjoying top billing for decades. The infallible, superior religion will not tolerate competition.
Christians see how the attack on religion is escalating and are finally standing up against the "few" atheists in this country. Christians out number the atheists and have learned from their actions they are taking more and more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies