Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 08:14 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,758,986 times

Advertisements

The fact is that most of the kids that are home schooled tend to be the kids of religious nutcase parents- sort of like the mother from the movie "Carrie" you know. Always walking around mumbling the Bible. Tim Tebow is pretty obviously a religious nutcase himself wearing Bible verses under his eyes. But my post was not about the pros and cons of home schooling. I think religious nutcases should be home schooled so that they do not mess up the normal children. My whole issue is with them cherry picking what they want to use public schools for. As for Tim Tebow playing for his LOCAL neighbourhood school, I will stand corrected if that is the fact. That is not what they said on The Zone (sports radio) but they can be wrong. They said that the Tebows picked out a school and the mother rented an apartment which was not really her residence so Timmy could play football there. That is where I learned of the scheme. Regardless it is my belief that public school facilities should be for the use of the students that attend school there. Those that do not should not be able to say "oh I am too good to attend algebra class with you low lifes but I demand you let me on your team".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2010, 09:35 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,336,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
The fact is that most of the kids that are home schooled tend to be the kids of religious nutcase parents- sort of like the mother from the movie "Carrie" you know. Always walking around mumbling the Bible. Tim Tebow is pretty obviously a religious nutcase himself wearing Bible verses under his eyes. But my post was not about the pros and cons of home schooling. I think religious nutcases should be home schooled so that they do not mess up the normal children. My whole issue is with them cherry picking what they want to use public schools for. As for Tim Tebow playing for his LOCAL neighbourhood school, I will stand corrected if that is the fact. That is not what they said on The Zone (sports radio) but they can be wrong. They said that the Tebows picked out a school and the mother rented an apartment which was not really her residence so Timmy could play football there. That is where I learned of the scheme. Regardless it is my belief that public school facilities should be for the use of the students that attend school there. Those that do not should not be able to say "oh I am too good to attend algebra class with you low lifes but I demand you let me on your team".
If the mother rented an apartment in the desired school's attendance zone and lied to school officials by claiming it was her son's residence, then Tebow was participating at the school to which he would have been assigned. Interesting that a mom with such strong religious convictions would, in effect, lie to circumvent school district rules. Nice example she set for her son, huh??

The Tebow family paid local property taxes, which supported their local schools, and their children were entitled whatever public school services they desired for their children.

Old 02-02-2010, 10:21 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
Quote:
Maybe you should change your OP to reflect the fact that you posted false information in it or rather, request that a moderator do so because the time limit has run out for you in that respect. It's quite irresponsible for you to come here and post lies.

As for your beliefs about home schooling, I personally could care less, but you're trying to back up your own supposed prejudices by referring to them as "facts". You first sentence in the quoted message above has been debunked time after time.

I guess you're going to have to live with the fact that home schooled students have as much right to to participate in the public school system's activities as any other students do.

Old 02-02-2010, 10:29 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,433,231 times
Quote:
I have mixed feelings about Tim Tebow. He is a great football player and I hope he does well in the NFL. Lord knows they need some excitement there. But he is also a religious nutcase.
I was shocked when I found out that he played high school football for a school that he never attended for even one class! It seems like the state of Florida allows the "home schooled" to play sports for any school they want without attending school there. No only that but they may go there for a variety of activity including the free lunch program if they wish.
And unlike most athletes who must play for the school they attend- usually the one in their neighbourhood, the home schooled religious nutcases can actually CHOOSE the school they want to play for.
In my view if the school is not good nuff for your kids to attend, they should not be going there for other things. If they home schoolers want to have athletics they ought to have their OWN league- maybe "Jesus League" or something.
I don't believe in god and my daughter is going to be homeschooled next year so stop making assumptions about people who home school their children, you clearly have no idea.
They grant things like attending special events at school like sports and so forth so home schooled kids can enjoy the social life that they don't get while being home schooled.

I can only assume that you have not run into some of the horrible situations that I have with the public school system given your apparent opinion on home schooling. Next year my daughter will be doing Virtual School, all done over the computer and yes she will be allowed if she wants to, to join in on the more social activities of the school in our county.

Old 02-03-2010, 12:24 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times
KevK, the originator of this thread, CLEARLY knows little to NOTHING about the subject of Home Schooling. It is blatantly obvious that his assumptions and assertions as to the type of kid who is home schooled is NOT backed up by FACTS.

If KevK would like to have a factual, dignified, unemotional discussion about the topic of home schooling, I would be happy to participate in such a discussion.

There are a number of posters on the CD Forums, myself included, who have actually home schooled children in our care.

I will close on this note: Nothing, I repeat; NOTHING KevK posted here is close to being accurate.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:17 AM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,109,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
If the mother rented an apartment in the desired school's attendance zone and lied to school officials by claiming it was her son's residence, then Tebow was participating at the school to which he would have been assigned. Interesting that a mom with such strong religious convictions would, in effect, lie to circumvent school district rules. Nice example she set for her son, huh??

The Tebow family paid local property taxes, which supported their local schools, and their children were entitled whatever public school services they desired for their children.

Here in Wisconsin we have open enrollment and a parent can enroll their child in any school they wish as long as there is an open slot available. They do NOT have to attend the "neighborhood school." The same may be true for the Tebows.

Old 02-03-2010, 09:35 AM

1,224 posts, read 1,286,914 times
Florida public school policy allows the Tebow type of transfer. The problem of athletic transfers among high schools is not limited to Tim Tebow and Florida, but is a national problem. As long as the Tebows broke no laws, I don't see the problem.

Parents, high school officials at odds over motivation for athletes' transfers - USATODAY.com

It seems the OP's hatred for homeschooled children has nothing to do with education, but much to do with anti-religious zeal.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:03 AM

9,890 posts, read 10,821,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
KevK, the originator of this thread, CLEARLY knows little to NOTHING about the subject of Home Schooling. It is blatantly obvious that his assumptions and assertions as to the type of kid who is home schooled is NOT backed up by FACTS.

If KevK would like to have a factual, dignified, unemotional discussion about the topic of home schooling, I would be happy to participate in such a discussion.

There are a number of posters on the CD Forums, myself included, who have actually home schooled children in our care.

I will close on this note: Nothing, I repeat; NOTHING KevK posted here is close to being accurate.
Greatdays post says it all! Kevk is showing himself to be an ignorant bigot, who's only purpose in this thread is to inflame hate and discontent.

Old 02-03-2010, 03:56 PM

115 posts, read 274,039 times
I am glad this kid got to play sports, it seems he did well and is now moving on to bigger and better, good for him! I would have loved to have home schooled my kids part time, but my state says either public school or home school and never the two shall meet. I am not religious, but my kids were severely bullied and the schools did little to nothing about it. If your state allows you to combine home and public schooling, your temperament and wallet allow for it, please do so!

Old 02-03-2010, 04:11 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Why? Their taxes pay for public schools just like yours do. You do also know that not all home-schoolers are religious right?
In fact, the religious right establish their own parochial schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies