Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Agree or disagree: Don't Ask Don't Tell should be repealed.
Strongly agree 58 59.18%
Agree 19 19.39%
Neither agree nor disagree 5 5.10%
Disagree 8 8.16%
Strongly disagree 8 8.16%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 02:54 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,284,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Yes, but that's why good leadership is essential, and why rules have to be enforced, especially in the military.

I have no doubt that when blacks and Jews were first allowed in the military, they were harassed too.
It really comes down to the fact that there are many more indians than chiefs. The jr. chiefs came from the indians and many are still tight with their peers. It also comes down to does the leader agree with the bad behavior? As a watch sup I kept a tight leash on my guys. But when they were off duty I had no idea what they did. Oh Some worked out, some hung out in the ships library etc. But to control them 24/7? To monitor their behavior 24/7? Can't be done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2010, 02:59 PM

24,908 posts, read 39,362,728 times
Quote:
Yes, but that's why good leadership is essential, and why rules have to be enforced, especially in the military.
With great leadership - gays have been seriously hurt - and killed ... "accidently". This is a fact.

Old 02-03-2010, 03:04 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,066,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
With great leadership - gays have been seriously hurt - and killed ... "accidently". This is a fact.
Something that probably could have been said as an argument against allowing blacks in the military. If there are any incidents, they can be handled with the full extent of the law. Because there may be incidents should not be a reason to allow the military to discharge someone simply because of their sexual preference.

Old 02-03-2010, 03:08 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,750,480 times
Quote:
But then that proves that anti-gay heterosexuals soldiers are aware of the gay soldiers, which means that DADT is meaningless.

I think it's highly likely that gay soldiers have put up with harassment in the past because they know they're second-class citizens in the military. They don't dare speak up about the harassment because they don't want to trigger an investigation into their sexual orientation. Getting rid of DADT would allow them to speak up. If you don't support harassment and abuse of gay soldiers, then you should be for the repeal of DADT.

Old 02-03-2010, 03:12 PM

24,908 posts, read 39,362,728 times
Quote:
But then that proves that anti-gay heterosexuals soldiers are aware of the gay soldiers, which means that DADT is meaningless..
To the contrary. DADT has had the impact of REDUCING such incidents - as they happen when the service member is "outted" - either accidently or intentionally.

If you were to have discussions about the issue with troops that go into the battlefield, MANY (not all certainly) will tell you they do not want to serve with "F..." - Gays / Homosexuals.

Old 02-03-2010, 03:12 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,284,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langlen View Post
Something that probably could have been said as an argument against allowing blacks in the military. If there are any incidents, they can be handled with the full extent of the law. Because there may be incidents should not be a reason to allow the military to discharge someone simply because of their sexual preference.
No but it is reason to proceed with caution and forthought. Its easy to say they should be handled . Its harder to get witnesses to testify. Its harder to catch the bad guys.
Better to proceed with caution ease into the change.
We have great laws in this country and I would venture that every one of them are broken from time to time. I would further venture that a good percentage escape convictions.
No explain to the families why their son or daughter is dead or maimed.
Well there were no witnesses and we can't seem to find anyone who had hard feelings against John..

Old 02-03-2010, 04:09 PM

Quote:
To the contrary. DADT has had the impact of REDUCING such incidents - as they happen when the service member is "outted" - either accidently or intentionally.

If you were to have discussions about the issue with troops that go into the battlefield, MANY (not all certainly) will tell you they do not want to serve with "F..." - Gays / Homosexuals.
Well, it's obviously a cultural bias. I don't know of any evidence that says gay soldiers are worse at performing their jobs than straight soldiers, and all of the other advanced nations of the world are able to allow openly gay people to serve in the military. The U.S. Military is uniquely anti-gay compared to other militaries in the modern world.

Last edited by AnUnidentifiedMale; 02-03-2010 at 04:36 PM..

Old 02-03-2010, 04:13 PM

26,332 posts, read 49,319,046 times
Again, the Armed Forces are leading the way in social progress, just as when President Truman (D) racially integrated the Armed Forces in 1948.

NY TIMES Editorial on the current controversy. Excerpt:
- The principled courage of the Defense Secretary and the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff is a major step forward for civil rights. Their action leaves no further excuse for Republican lawmakers to go on supporting this discrimination.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 02-03-2010, 04:24 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,647,553 times
Default he did?

Quote:
If it weren't for Obama, none of this would be happening at all. McCain made it clear that he opposed repealing DADT.

What matters is that it's getting done, thanks to Obama.
Interesting...

Quote:
A former war hero, McCain said he would support ending the ban once the military's top brass told him that they agreed with the change.

"The day that the leadership of the military comes to me and says, 'Senator, we ought to change the policy,' then I think we ought to consider seriously changing it," McCain said in October 2006 to an audience of Iowa State University students.

Old 02-03-2010, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
Interesting...
Yep. I was wrong about that. And I'm glad I was. It exposes McCain as a hypocrite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies