Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 12:51 PM

5,165 posts, read 6,057,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post
I don't get it. Republicans want no intereference in the economy but then they blame the president for not creating jobs.

What gives?
You make a good point. It is not his job to create jobs. It is his job to be a leader and allow jobs to be created. Many Americans are not seeing this from the Whitehouse.

They are seeing a man on the campaign trail for health reform and more wasteful Government spending.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2010, 12:53 PM

6,183 posts, read 6,080,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterK View Post
If a President can do everything they promised during campaigning then they rigged the election cause they didn't promise enough to get elected.

Lots of market predictions I've been watching say that no companies will really start hiring much this year because next year (2011) is another projected recession and the this year is just too uncertain. I think many of these projections are made with assumptions that at least one of Obama's policies (Cap & Trade, tighter bank regs, healthcare) will go through, all of which are known to be bad for business. In the end though we will survive, I think we are experiencing a countries bratting attitude because we are not used to very hard times (not saying we should be) but I'm willing to bet in 15 years we will still be here with a rip roaring economy like a boss.
I agree to an extent. We've found some middle ground. I've read varying reports on 2011 predictions. It's really counting chickens before they hatch at this point. A week in economics feels like a year. 10 months is a millenium. The worst could be well past for all we know or this could just be an apetizer. But as an Obama supporter, I am optimistic and if he fails, I'll hope the best for the next president.

Old 02-04-2010, 12:55 PM

769 posts, read 888,214 times
Quote:
It's really counting chickens before they hatch at this point. A week in economics feels like a year. 10 months is a millenium.

This is truth in it's rawest form. The 24 hr news cycle will drive you nuts. I sometimes drop out for like a month or two just so I can enjoy some life.

Old 02-04-2010, 12:59 PM

Quote:
This is truth in it's rawest form. The 24 hr news cycle will drive you nuts. I sometimes drop out for like a month or two just so I can enjoy some life.
Seriously. I can't think of a commentator or economist on either side without graying and/or thinning hair.

Old 02-04-2010, 04:21 PM

2,229 posts, read 1,688,471 times
Quote:
But the money the government spends was taken from the populus in taxes, then some lopped off to pay government workers, then put back into the private sector. Therefore decreases GDP growth by whatever amount is needed to pay government workers, where as is the same said project was done minus the government, 100% of the money exchanged would go towards economic growth. This is why I believe any government function that has the possiblility to take place in the private sector should, this is also one of the reasons Europe typically has lower growth than us, because a high percentage of them are employed by the government.
I was speaking in gross terms, not net. Thus, my second paragraph. Yes, the government can create jobs, however; the impact on the economy is a net loss.

Old 02-04-2010, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlilesiu View Post
I was speaking in gross terms, not net. Thus, my second paragraph. Yes, the government can create jobs, however; the impact on the economy is a net loss.
At the same time more people will have money making it more likely retail and industrial demand will increase after time, therefore jobs. It's essentially what FDR did in creating so many government jobs. Republicans want him to not interfere with the private sector, yet they fault him for not creating private jobs. It's a catch-22

Old 02-04-2010, 06:43 PM

119 posts, read 263,698 times
Quote:
At the same time more people will have money making it more likely retail and industrial demand will increase after time, therefore jobs. It's essentially what FDR did in creating so many government jobs. Republicans want him to not interfere with the private sector, yet they fault him for not creating private jobs. It's a catch-22
As has already been said, they are not 'faulting' him for not creating jobs. They are faulting him because every hair-brained scheme he comes up with is preventing the creation of jobs.

Just look at this 'tax-break' for small business job creation. Ok a business owner gets, what, $5000 to hire a guy for a 30,000 job. But then at the same time most of the people who fall in the 250k to 1m tax bracket are small business owners and their taxes a going to go up

Are you going to hire someone you could do without for a 25,000 net loss and a tax increase?? The Health 'Insurance' bill would drive up costs for small business owners as would Cap & Tax.

The continual state of uncertainty caused by the Fed Gov't is causing all business to just hold on until some decisions are made. This comes directly from a complete lack of LEADERSHIP in the White House. They can Organize the heck out of a Town Hall meeting. But they cannot LEAD.

Old 02-04-2010, 06:49 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,779,480 times
The government creates plenty of jobs. Almost everybody that works at many companies including KBR, Halliburton, Lockheed-Martin and many other companies works in a job created by the government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies