Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 09:45 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,285,820 times

Advertisements

Hey Ken...how's that market doing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2010, 09:45 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,334,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Actually its not.. the fact that you dont understand how cold does not stop people from working in the construction industry isnt my fault.

People get hired to put new windows in, to insulate homes, etc, heating companies install new furances etc. People move from outside projects to inside, where they might install new carpeting, redo a kitchen/bathroom..

The job title may change, but the job effect is minimum..
Wrong.
I work on computerized construction management systems and weather DOES have an impact.

It impacts framers, it impacts roofers, it impacts concrete installation. A roofer doesn't suddenly become a carpet installer, nor does a framer become an interior finish carpenter. Different skills, different jobs. Interior work is not affected by the weather but exterior work is - and the folks that do the outside work are not the same people who do the inside work.

Get a clue!

Ken

Old 02-05-2010, 09:49 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,334,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Well the market is in correction, but it'll come back up.
As for me - well, I got out a week or so ago - and will probably get back in again in a bit. It was not the absolute top where I got out, but I have no complaints - my 401K has made a KILLING in the last year - and had I listened to YOU folks I'd have lost out on all that.
Fortunately I was smarter than that.

Ken

Old 02-05-2010, 09:54 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Wrong.
I work on computerized construction management systems and weather DOES have an impact.

It impacts framers, it impacts roofers, it impacts concrete installation. A roofer doesn't suddenly become a carpet installer, nor does a framer become an interior finish carpenter. Different skills, different jobs. Interior work is not affected by the weather but exterior work is - and the folks that do the outside work are not the same people who do the inside work.

Get a clue!

Ken
Snow, rain, sleet, hail, have an impact.. we are discussing COLD..

If you indeed worked on construction management systems, you would know that housing developments are timed for things like COLD.. Its WINTER TIME.. If its 20 out instead of the expected 30 out, this does not stop construction from taking place. It does mean they need to use different chemicals when mixing cement but winter is COLD and housing projects are planned MONTHS, sometimes YEARS in advance..

Old 02-05-2010, 09:54 AM

Quote:
As for me - well, I got out a week or so ago
Sure you did. Why don't you tell us sometime when you intend to get out rather than using some anonymously declared hindsight story?

Quote:
- and will probably get back in again in a bit.
I'm sure you'll declare you're "back in" after we get a bear market really.

Old 02-05-2010, 09:56 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Quote:
Well the market is in correction,
Gotta love these...

Market going up.. proof positive obama is a genius.. market going down.. its a correction..

ps I havent gotten out, down 50% in 3 weeks.. taking a bath..

Old 02-05-2010, 09:58 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,584,802 times
Default Job losses continue; 20,000 for January

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Payrolls fall in January, jobless rate at 5-month low - Yahoo! Finance (http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Payrolls-fall-in-January-rb-514835788.html?x=0&.v=2 - broken link)

How's that failed stimulus working for you?

Yep. Bush & buddies put America in a deep, deep hole. Probably won't be right for several more years.

"deregulate!"

"tax cuts!"

"record deficits!"

"trickle down!"

"let the markets decide!"

Gee...

Maybe that was all a bunch of baloney.

Old 02-05-2010, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Gotta love these...

Market going up.. proof positive obama is a genius.. market going down.. its a correction..

ps I havent gotten out, down 50% in 3 weeks.. taking a bath..
Next thing Ken will say to my above reply is: "I don't care if you believe me or not, I know what I did".

Old 02-05-2010, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade52 View Post
Yep. Bush & buddies put America in a deep, deep hole. Probably won't be right for several more years.

"deregulate!"

"tax cuts!"

"record deficits!"

"trickle down!"

"let the markets decide!"

Gee...

Maybe that was all a bunch of baloney.
I already played the Bush's fault card. There's a one card limit per thread.

Old 02-05-2010, 10:00 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
So we actually lost 379,000 jobs in January?
(784k-425k-20k)
No, those are people adjustments..not job adjustments.
The BLS adjusted the population count.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies