Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 05:58 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,276,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyegirl View Post
Wow, so original. Let me guess, you're a man?
Yes, I am a man.

I am also a man who had to make the decision to abort our child and save my wifes life or, not abort him, let him be born, and know my wife would die.

So, inasmuch as I have a somewhat different perspective on the abortion issue - how about sparing my your inane attempts to criticize me?

Old 02-09-2010, 06:23 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smel View Post
Also, people are extremely naive about what their teens are doing. I remember in high school our homecoming queen my junior year had had three abortions before her senior year. Her parents never knew, she went off to college, she now has a husband and children, but she went through those abortions with her friends for company. She was afraid to talk to her mother about birth control, and her doctor was a family friend. She drove over an hour away from home to another state for the abortions.

My son also knows several girls who have done the same thing. "Good girls" who no one would ever guess had been in any kind of trouble. These kids come from money, so I don't think the socio-economic factor is always true. Wouldn't it be better if these girls were able to get help from their families? It would be better to take them to get birth control then for them to go through an abortion. I would hope my daughter would trust me enough to come to me. If you think your teen is not having sex, then I hope you are never disillusioned.
I agree with your first paragraph. Some parents seem to forget what it's like to be a teen. However, the second paragraph doesn't sit well with me. Parents, especially mothers, get blamed for everything! We don't know our daughters want/need birth control unless they tell us. In the example in the first paragraph, the girl was afraid to talk to her mother. Chances are, the mother would have been at least OK with talking to her daughter about sex. As a pediatric nurse, I have gotten a few calls from moms saying their daughters have just informed them they are having sex with their boyfriends and want to go on BC.

Old 02-09-2010, 07:21 PM

1,517 posts, read 2,320,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I agree with your first paragraph. Some parents seem to forget what it's like to be a teen. However, the second paragraph doesn't sit well with me. Parents, especially mothers, get blamed for everything! We don't know our daughters want/need birth control unless they tell us. In the example in the first paragraph, the girl was afraid to talk to her mother. Chances are, the mother would have been at least OK with talking to her daughter about sex. As a pediatric nurse, I have gotten a few calls from moms saying their daughters have just informed them they are having sex with their boyfriends and want to go on BC.
I was not saying the parents would not help. I believe the girls were too afraid of disappointing their families to ask for help. An earlier poster had talked about how her family had spoken to their children, the children grew up to be successful, did not have children out of wedlock, and were not put on birth control. That is great, but in many instances when we as parents think everything is as it seems it is not. I would love to say that my children were virgins when they married, but that is not realistic in today's world. As a parent I try to keep the line of communication open, but the expectations realistic. Kids are like the rest of us, not perfect and eager to experience life.

Old 02-09-2010, 07:27 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smel View Post
I was not saying the parents would not help. I believe the girls were too afraid of disappointing their families to ask for help. An earlier poster had talked about how her family had spoken to their children, the children grew up to be successful, did not have children out of wedlock, and were not put on birth control. That is great, but in many instances when we as parents think everything is as it seems it is not. I would love to say that my children were virgins when they married, but that is not realistic in today's world. As a parent I try to keep the line of communication open, but the expectations realistic. Kids are like the rest of us, not perfect and eager to experience life.
Nothing that I said contradicts what you said. I'm saying, parents get blamed for everything. A parent can't do anything about a child, and that's what these teens are, who i "afraid" sto talk to her (the parent). Lord knows, you can't make them talk when they don't want to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies