Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 10:24 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,259,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
That's pure conjecture, but I suspect that she knew her son a lot better than any of the rest of us.

I disagree. It was pretty widely reported how her son felt about serving his country. Instead of bringing attention to the soldiers she brought it on herself. I understand she was in pain, and I empathize with her but this is what she did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2007, 10:26 AM

1,251 posts, read 2,577,815 times
Mother Moonbat was exercising the right Casey Helped defend.

Old 05-29-2007, 10:26 AM

22,922 posts, read 28,279,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
It was pretty widely reported how her son felt about serving his country. Instead of bringing attention to the soldiers she brought it on herself. I understand she was in pain, and I empathize with her but this is what she did.
She did, or the media did?

Old 05-29-2007, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
She did, or the media did?
Both. If the media had not been there to "report" on her efforts I am sure she would have left her perch long ago. So in effect the media fueled her, but it was her choice.

Old 05-29-2007, 11:14 AM

308 posts, read 711,756 times
Quote:
I disagree. It was pretty widely reported how her son felt about serving his country. Instead of bringing attention to the soldiers she brought it on herself. I understand she was in pain, and I empathize with her but this is what she did.

I agree.

Cindy clearly lost her mind and could no longer tell the difference between reality and what she created in her own mind.

After Casey died in 2004 Cindy Sheehan had a completely different story than she tells now.

Cindy Sheehan: "Casey Wanted To Fight For His Country" | Sweetness & Light <Video of Cindy Sheehan included at this site.

Cindy Sheehan stated, "Casey wanted to go to Iraq and fight for his country" and "Casey wanted to help the Iraqi people" is what she said in 2004

After meeting President Bush in 2004 Cindy Sheehan also told her hometown newspaper about the meeting]:

Quote:
We have a lot of respect for the office of the president, and I have a new respect for him because he was sincere and he didn’t have to take the time to meet with us," Pat said.

Sincerity was something Cindy had hoped to find in the meeting.

Shortly after Casey died, Bush sent the family a form letter expressing his condolences, and Cindy said she felt it was an impersonal gesture.

"I now know he’s sincere about wanting freedom for the Iraqis," Cindy said after their meeting. "I know he’s sorry and feels some pain for our loss. And I know he’s a man of faith."

The meeting didn’t last long, but in their time with Bush, Cindy spoke about Casey and asked the president to make her son’s sacrifice count for something. They also spoke of their faith.

"That was the gift the president gave us, the gift of happiness, of being together,"
Cindy said.]]]]]]

The Reporter - From our archive: Bush, Sheehans share moments

I definitely feel sorry for Cindy Sheehan and her family.

They have been devastated, but I also believe Cindy made her family's pain worse by her actions.

Old 05-29-2007, 11:46 AM

7 posts, read 18,408 times
Quote:
But I stil ask what did she accomplish really? Instead of moving on with her life and finding something positive to contribute she made the choice to dwell on the past. I think her choice not only hurt her but the country. Just aided in dividing the country more than it already was.
Ok, I have to jump in here and not let Spunky slide on this one. I'm a Marine Vietnam War Veteran and I take issue with what you just said Spunky!

Let me clear the air about this war, first of all anyone who doesn't think that this war was marketed based on hype and a lot of misinformation is out to lunch. I can see initially how everyone was buying what this administration was saying since a lot of civilians became afraid after 9/11. But if you remember they kept using the fact that "Hussein had been known to use WMD's on his own people." Anyone with half a brain knows that fact was more than 10 years old, and any veteran who 'knows' that no one uses Intel less than a few hours, days, or less than a week old...never longer than that to execute a mission. Yet "they" kept saying it like it was yesterday. Now we know the facts about the "immediate threat that Hussein pose" and yet there is not a condemnation for this war by most of Americans. Why is that? Are we that far gone that we can't see what's right and what's wrong anymore?

But years later we all must admit that "none" let me say that again "NONE" of the facts that this administration used to go into the war was or is true. NOT ONE FACT. So a reasonable person would have to conclude that this war in Iraq is "unjustifiable".

Is that what America stands for? Is that what we the tax payers that get up every morning to go to earn our keep stand for? Is to send our young soldiers to get slaughtered in a meat grinder to win the hearts and minds of Iraqis? Can you say we as Americans feel safer? Wasn't our pride for being Americans based on these attributes one that we stood for the rights for the people throughout the world and two justice for all? Are Iraqis standing up and demanding those that kill our young soldiers to stop this insanity? Do Iraqis care whether our soldiers live or die and if they don't what the hell are we doing there if not for the 'oil'!

Isn't the next huge step in our nation's evolution going to be a separation of our need for oil? So if we're in Iraq for only one reason and that's oil isn't it a bit confusing to justify our being in Iraq in the first place?

Cindy Sheehan lost her son in this war, that's a fact, and to not take our hats off to her for shining a glimmer of light to this unjust war for just a while is again losing our bearing as Americans.

I want to be an American standing proudly for what we stand and I will fight until my last breath is gone for all to be free from tyrants and zealots throughout the world as a Marine. We Marines took an oath to defend our Constitution from foreign and 'domestic' enemies that threaten our way of life. This President is America's enemy and we need to take him out of office 'right now'! He has divided this nation, took away our rights and liberties and most of all has put America in bigger jeopardy than ever before throughout the world. He does not have what it takes to be a leader in today's world, that is a fact and most of all he is a threat to our way of life.

Is that clear enough for you all?

You might say what rights has he taken? Right to Habeas Corpus is one, eminent domain is another, rights to privacy is another, and the right to justice in the judicial dept is yet another. Do you really think that the AG is representing justice for the American people? Didn't you see Gonzales in front of the judicial review on the firing of those 8 Federal Justices? If you can't tell he's lying well you might just have a learning disability.

Please lay off Cindy for being a grieving mother, and don't blame her for dividing our country. First of all when less than 30% of the voting public don't show up to cast their vote is not Cindy's fault. The inept Congress is not Cindy's fault. The dysfunctional media is not Cindy's fault. The Federal abortion attempt to help the nation during Katrina, is not Cindy's fault. The preemptive strike to Iraq is not Cindy's fault. All those poor excuses of presidential candidates that are vomiting lies to get elected is not Cindy's fault. So don't blame Cindy Sheehan for dividing this country.

Regards,
Chip
Proud Marine "we were winning when I left Vietnam in Sept. '68"
Want to be a proud American once more.

Old 05-29-2007, 11:48 AM

8,982 posts, read 21,171,724 times
I feel bad for Ms. Sheehan essentially grieved publicly for almost three years and had her personal life radically disrupted. While the political process is certainly a grinding marathon, I can see from her perspective how she would feel disillusioned about the Democrats' reaction to her criticism of their efforts regarding the war since they took majority congressional control.

Just as this opponent of the Iraq war still respected the memories of fallen soldiers yesterday (and every day, to some degree), I am glad to see that there are Cindy Sheehan critics on this forum who can still sympathize with her loss.

Old 05-29-2007, 11:52 AM

Chip you are entitled to your opinion as I am to mine. I respect your opinion but I do believe she aided in dividing our country, and that she was used as a pawn by the left. I don't know what you mean by "lay off her." I stated I understand her grief and wish the best for her.

Old 05-29-2007, 11:53 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,122,816 times
Thanks for your POV, Chip.

I too want to be proud of our country, and hope somehow we will re-claim ourselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip View Post
Ok, I have to jump in here and not let Spunky slide on this one. I'm a Marine Vietnam War Veteran and I take issue with what you just said Spunky!

Let me clear the air about this war, first of all anyone who doesn't think that this war was marketed based on hype and a lot of misinformation is out to lunch. I can see initially how everyone was buying what this administration was saying since a lot of civilians became afraid after 9/11. But if you remember they kept using the fact that "Hussein had been known to use WMD's on his own people." Anyone with half a brain knows that fact was more than 10 years old, and any veteran who 'knows' that no one uses Intel less than a few hours, days, or less than a week old...never longer than that to execute a mission. Yet "they" kept saying it like it was yesterday. Now we know the facts about the "immediate threat that Hussein pose" and yet there is not a condemnation for this war by most of Americans. Why is that? Are we that far gone that we can't see what's right and what's wrong anymore?

But years later we all must admit that "none" let me say that again "NONE" of the facts that this administration used to go into the war was or is true. NOT ONE FACT. So a reasonable person would have to conclude that this war in Iraq is "unjustifiable".

Is that what America stands for? Is that what we the tax payers that get up every morning to go to earn our keep stand for? Is to send our young soldiers to get slaughtered in a meat grinder to win the hearts and minds of Iraqis? Can you say we as Americans feel safer? Wasn't our pride for being Americans based on these attributes one that we stood for the rights for the people throughout the world and two justice for all? Are Iraqis standing up and demanding those that kill our young soldiers to stop this insanity? Do Iraqis care whether our soldiers live or die and if they don't what the hell are we doing there if not for the 'oil'!

Isn't the next huge step in our nation's evolution going to be a separation of our need for oil? So if we're in Iraq for only one reason and that's oil isn't it a bit confusing to justify our being in Iraq in the first place?

Cindy Sheehan lost her son in this war, that's a fact, and to not take our hats off to her for shining a glimmer of light to this unjust war for just a while is again losing our bearing as Americans.

I want to be an American standing proudly for what we stand and I will fight until my last breath is gone for all to be free from tyrants and zealots throughout the world as a Marine. We Marines took an oath to defend our Constitution from foreign and 'domestic' enemies that threaten our way of life. This President is America's enemy and we need to take him out of office 'right now'! He has divided this nation, took away our rights and liberties and most of all has put America in bigger jeopardy than ever before throughout the world. He does not have what it takes to be a leader in today's world, that is a fact and most of all he is a threat to our way of life.

Is that clear enough for you all?

You might say what rights has he taken? Right to Habeas Corpus is one, eminent domain is another, rights to privacy is another, and the right to justice in the judicial dept is yet another. Do you really think that the AG is representing justice for the American people? Didn't you see Gonzales in front of the judicial review on the firing of those 8 Federal Justices? If you can't tell he's lying well you might just have a learning disability.

Please lay off Cindy for being a grieving mother, and don't blame her for dividing our country. First of all when less than 30% of the voting public don't show up to cast their vote is not Cindy's fault. The inept Congress is not Cindy's fault. The dysfunctional media is not Cindy's fault. The Federal abortion attempt to help the nation during Katrina, is not Cindy's fault. The preemptive strike to Iraq is not Cindy's fault. All those poor excuses of presidential candidates that are vomiting lies to get elected is not Cindy's fault. So don't blame Cindy Sheehan for dividing this country.

Regards,
Chip
Proud Marine "we were winning when I left Vietnam in Sept. '68"
Want to be a proud American once more.

Old 05-29-2007, 12:42 PM

989 posts, read 2,762,327 times
Default I never really "got" Cindy Sheehan

Let me start by saying that I think that her original protest was BRILLIANT. A woman with a tent and a question gaining world-wide recognition in her protest of the President was a stroke of pure genius. However, I never really understood the need for a woman to get a second meeting with the President (he is the President of the US after all, other country's Presidents don't always get a second meeting with him).

Although I am personally opposed to the war, I still didn't see the reason that people were following her. She isn't exceptionally articulate (but certainly not bad), and hasn't produced any "new" info or material (like say Michael Moore has) to add to the debate.

I actually kinda saw Cindy as Forrest Gump when he was running side-to-side across the country. He had all those people following and didn't really know why... in the end "Forrest" really didn't have much to say except for "I think I'll go home now".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies