Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 09:06 AM

757 posts, read 803,376 times

Advertisements

49% of Americans still favor a public option for health care reform, with 42% who oppose. So when Republicans claim that most Americans do not like to current legislation how does that fact figure into the equation? Could it be much of the dislike with the current legislation is because it offers no public option?

Creation of a public entity to directly compete with existing health insurance companies

FavorOpposeUnsure Creation of a public entity to directly compete with existing health insurance companies."

1/28-31/10 Favor:49% Oppose 42% Unsure 9%

Health Policy
'
Ipsos/McClatchy Poll conducted by Ipsos Public Affairs. Jan. 28-31, 2010. N=1,127 adults nationwide. MoE ± 2.9

"The plan could include a government insurance option only for people who can't get private insurance, the so-called public option. Or instead it could have the government negotiate with private insurers to have them offer these people insurance that meets government specifications. Which of these two approaches would you prefer: the public option or the alternative'

Public
OptionAlternativeBoth (vol.)Neither

1/12-15/10

Public option: 47%, Alternative 41%, Neither 8%

ABC News/Washington Post Poll. Jan. 12-15, 2010. N=1,083 adults nationwide. MoE ± 3.5

Last edited by okccowboy; 02-09-2010 at 09:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2010, 09:21 AM

3,199 posts, read 4,319,109 times
Quote:
Most americans still favor a public option
49% is less than half.
Right now "public option" is an abstract idea.
I'll bet when explained fully and properly (of course remembering to show the people how medicare already loses 60 billion through fraud/waste in a year) and that less than half number will drop even further.

You can't referee and play the game at the same time.

Old 02-09-2010, 09:27 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,024,034 times
You have to do something about your "fonts" showing

Its more like 3/4 of folks want a public option - the
opposing already have a public option - its called Medicare.

The folks from Brown's state of Massachusetts already have a type of universal health care plan (of which Brown voted for). When campaigning Brown said this:
"We have insurance here in Massachusetts. I'm not going to be subsidizing what other states have failed to do."

The folks of Massachusetts -70 percent, like their present health care plan, including those that voted for Brown. What some are afraid of is a new national program might cost them more for health security they already have.
82 percent of all Obama supporters that voted for Brown support a public health option.

Republicans are spinning "No one likes the Health Care Bill". But it isn't because they want Insurance purchase power across state lines, or tort reform(which is really a state issue anyways), but because THEY WANT A PUBLIC OPTION.

7,545 posts, read 8,331,463 times
I haven't researched the polls to look at how the questions were worded, but it could be just that people in theory like the idea of having a public option without taking into consideration the cost factor of a public option. It's like if I asked you (yes I am oversimplifying), would you like the government to pay all of your medical costs? Of course the answer would be yes, but then if I posed the question of would you favor the government paying 100% of everyone's medical costs if that meant that your taxes will go up and other programs would be cut. Then I think support for such an idea would decrease.

Like I said, I don't know how the polls were conducted so my point may be moot, but I'm just throwing that out there. I do believe that some of the people who dislike the current bills in congress dislike them because there is no public option.

49% is more than 42%...a child in grade school could tell you that much. My point is that maybe much of the dislike with the current legislation is because it does not include a public option thanks to Republicans and some conservative Democrats.

quote=allydriver;12822948]49% is less than half.
I'll bet when explained fully and properly (of course remembering to show the people how medicare already loses 60 billion through fraud/waste in a year) and that less than half number will drop even further.

You can't referee and play the game at the same time.[/quote]

Old 02-09-2010, 09:29 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,024,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allydriver View Post
49% is less than half.

You can't referee and play the game at the same time.
The fraud that exists in Medicare is called Medicare Advantage (Medicare Part C) which Republicans overwhelmingly support. What is an abstract idea
is that Republicans even want health care reform

Old 02-09-2010, 09:29 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,609,367 times
My dad has no health insurance and also opposes any sort of government-controlled health insurance.

Now THAT is an example of standing by principles!

Old 02-09-2010, 09:31 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,143,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
My dad has no health insurance and also opposes any sort of government-controlled health insurance.

I'm in the same situation as your dad. I want almost NOTHING from the federal govt..

Old 02-09-2010, 09:32 AM

Part C is privately run insurance like HMO's and PPO's. Rush Limbaugh said he thought there was nothing wrong with the current health care system. That too flies in the face of what most Americans say about our current system.

quote=pollyrobin;12823083]The fraud that exists in Medicare is called Medicare Advantage (Medicare Part C) which Republicans overwhelmingly support. What is an abstract idea
is that Republicans even want health care reform[/quote]

Old 02-09-2010, 09:33 AM

You and your dad had better hope he is never seriously sick or injured. Most of the people who file for bankruptcy do so over health related costs and issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies