Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2010, 03:27 PM

631 posts, read 1,291,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutre View Post
It's not only about blacks being oppressed. We're talking about whites being privileged. That's just the way it is. Don't even matter if I think it's good or bad. It is just a fact.
It goes even beyond the US: Whites get treated better in a whole lot of countries in Africa, Asia, and Latin America simply because they're white.
Whites get treated "better" in Asia and Latin America?

oh brother.... this proves you don't know what you're talking about
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2010, 03:46 PM

983 posts, read 3,599,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVA-Jsn20 View Post

Oh sister, I grew up in Asia.
Fair skin and caucasian features in general are highly prized. The whiter, the better. And the people there say these things openly, although in the US it would be politically incorrect.
When you're white, you get treated better because people assume you're rich.
There's other examples, but I don't see the need to go in detail.
Again. I won't say it's good or bad. That's just the way it is.
Why it's almost like saying "Good-looking people get treated better". In Asia, white features = good looks. Hence "the whiter the better".
I know it's politically incorrect to say that in the US, but I'm just giving an acoount of how it is in Asia.

Old 02-10-2010, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutre View Post
Oh sister, I grew up in Asia.
Fair skin and caucasian features in general are highly prized. The whiter, the better. And the people there say these things openly, although in the US it would be politically incorrect.
When you're white, you get treated better because people assume you're rich.
There's other examples, but I don't see the need to go in detail.
Again. I won't say it's good or bad. That's just the way it is.
Why it's almost like saying "Good-looking people get treated better". In Asia, white features = good looks. Hence "the whiter the better".
I know it's politically incorrect to say that in the US, but I'm just giving an acoount of how it is in Asia.
As I previously said, therein lies the problem.

Old 02-10-2010, 04:46 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,204,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
Indeed, blacks all too often misjudge constructive criticism because they're too emotionally weak to believe that it's anything else but racism. Racism is the excuse du jour, it's mind candy. That very same mind candy was fed women for over 2 centuries fostering artificial dependence claiming them the 'weaker vessel'. Who has been injured more? A contest of victims? Let's not bother with more stuck on stupid.
No one's making excuses. Posters in this thread are pointing out reality and you seem quite perturbed that we have the gall to do so.

Quote:

You really should get out more or find access to less US-centric media. It's pretty commonly known and undisputed that White privilege is even more cavalier in Asia and Latin America than it is in the US.

Old 02-10-2010, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post

You really should get out more or find access to less US-centric media. It's pretty commonly known and undisputed that White privilege is even more cavalier in Asia and Latin America than it is in the US.
And just because you say that doesn't make it true.

Old 02-10-2010, 05:02 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,541,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
Indeed, blacks all too often misjudge constructive criticism because they're too emotionally weak to believe that it's anything else but racism.
Your above quoted statement says so much more about you than you actually even realize.

Old 02-10-2010, 05:04 PM

1,300 posts, read 1,493,752 times
Great, then there is nothing more for us to discuss.

~ButterBrownBiscuit~

Quote:
Like I said, I live in a city that is 57% black. So this whole "we're the oppressed minority" thing just isn't going to fly with me.

Old 02-10-2010, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Your above quoted statement says so much more about you than you actually even realize.
Except she's spot-on.

White people aren't allowed to say or do anything to black people that they would say or do to anyone else because it's "racist". Overall, black people are extremely sensitive and defensive about being black, when in reality nobody cares, people only respond to how you act and their own personal experiences.

Old 02-10-2010, 05:09 PM

1,517 posts, read 2,320,307 times
Quote:
It is so ridiculous for people (especially White people) to say that White privilege doesn't exist when they are the recepients of the benefits of it.

Ask these same people of they would give up their "Whiteness" to live the rest of their lives as a Black man, an Asian man or a Hispanic man and they would all politely decline.
This is insulting. Would you give up your race for any reason? Of course not. Why can't white people be proud of their race without being racist. Other races are proud and no one complains. Everyone should be proud of their own race. I also think privilege has to do with money not race.

Old 02-10-2010, 05:10 PM

1,300 posts, read 1,493,752 times
Isn't it sad that her comments are typical of the attitude that we are referring to, yet she's too blind to see it?

~ButterBrownBiscuit~

Quote:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies