Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What will you do if your child turns out gay/lesbian or transgender
completly disown the child 5 4.63%
completly disown the child until he/she lives a straight lifestyle 1 0.93%
not approve but dont disown the child 7 6.48%
love the child, but dont wish to know of their lifestyle 4 3.70%
accept the child as who they are 91 84.26%
other 0 0%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 01:26 PM

13,026 posts, read 24,630,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
How is that raising someone to be a "bigot?" Because you don't agree with it makes it "bigotry?"

What exactly is the "bigot" part you claim?
Raising to hate is bigotry. And if "trueisrealite" isn't full of hate then he certainly puts up a really good front for it... His homophobia is rabid and I would be surprised if he did not inculcate his offsprings into his way of thinking ( or lack thereof). Sorry but if that's not bigotry then I don't know what is.

Can you imagine being his son and being Gay ? You would have few choices , either deny who you truly are for the rest of your life ( or until you could no longer pretend), leave the familial abode at the earliest possible time or maybe like a lot of young Gay people attempts to or commit suicide.

Simply because of hateful intolerance and ignorance. Of course like TI you no doubt think that being Gay can be redressed and you have can have it beaten out of you one way or another.... No matter what the evidence and science will show there will always be people to deny it. After all isn't the earth 6000 years old and didn't we all used to roam with dinosaurs...

Time to update my ignore list anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2010, 01:29 PM

1,773 posts, read 1,266,647 times
Quote:

The definition you posted is much to broad.
Too broad you say...how's this: a person who clearly has an aversion for homosexuals & their reasoning has nothing to do w/fact & all about emotion & thinking it's "icky" & wants nothing to do w/them & in fact would disown their own child if they were gay is passing this attitude down to their children & teaching them to loathe & despise homosexuals as well is a bigot. Is that specific enough? I know, why don't you tell me your version of a bigot.

Old 02-10-2010, 01:30 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,317,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverkid View Post
It's not nitpicking.

Referring to homosexuality as a "lifestyle" is a calculated attack on gay people. It's used to pigeonhole and stereotype all gays (men specifically) as abnormal sex deviants and threats to good, normal people choosing to live a correct lifestyle (i.e. being straight).
You are spinning.
I only used the term "lifestyle" because the other poster used that term regarding the Cheney's.
Interesting how you avoided answering the question... did the Cheney's say it was a regular lifestyle? (Again, using the word the other poster originally used.)

Old 02-10-2010, 01:33 PM

971 posts, read 1,294,855 times
I like the Wikipedia explanation of bigotry:

"A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices.
The correct use of the term requires the elements of obstinacy, irrationality, and animosity toward those of differing devotion."

Old 02-10-2010, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedjat View Post
Too broad you say...how's this: a person who clearly has an aversion for homosexuals & their reasoning has nothing to do w/fact & all about emotion & thinking it's "icky" & wants nothing to do w/them & in fact would disown their own child if they were gay is passing this attitude down to their children & teaching them to loathe & despise homosexuals as well is a bigot. Is that specific enough? I know, why don't you tell me your version of a bigot.
Then let me ask you this:
Is every single person (and there are a lot of them) who does not condone or approve of homosexuality a "bigot?"

And you didn't answer my question... am I a "bigot" against those who smoke or drink?

My version of a bigot? A person who is prejudice. And, no, not agreeing with a person's sexual orientation does not automatically make that person a "bigot."

Old 02-10-2010, 01:36 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Listen, Fleet. Raising your children to hate anyone based on something that person cannot control is out-and-out bigotry. It's the same as if you taught them to hate blacks, mexicans, etc.

Old 02-10-2010, 01:40 PM

1,773 posts, read 1,266,647 times
Quote:
Then let me ask you this:
Is every single person (and there are a lot of them) who does not condone or approve of homosexuality a "bigot?"

And you didn't answer my question... am I a "bigot" against those who smoke or drink?

My version of a bigot? A person who is prejudice. And, no, not agreeing with a person's sexual orientation does not automatically make that person a "bigot."
LOL, I guess you didn't notice the word "prejudiced" that was included in that definition of bigot I showed you.

I'd say you aren't a bigot about smokers or drinkers because those aren't qualities that are innate to those people, they weren't born smokers or drinkers.

Old 02-10-2010, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Raising to hate is bigotry. And if "trueisrealite" isn't full of hate then he certainly puts up a really good front for it... His homophobia is rabid and I would be surprised if he did not inculcate his offsprings into his way of thinking ( or lack thereof). Sorry but if that's not bigotry then I don't know what is.
But opposing something like homosexuality does not automatically equate "hate." I oppose it but I can assure you I don't hate it.
And you do realize that a phobia means someone is afraid of something. Fear and hate are not always related.

Quote:
Can you imagine being his son and being Gay ? You would have few choices , either deny who you truly are for the rest of your life ( or until you could no longer pretend), leave the familial abode at the earliest possible time or maybe like a lot of young Gay people attempts to or commit suicide.
I would say to the father accept but don't approve of homosexuality.

Quote:
Simply because of hateful intolerance and ignorance. Of course like TI you no doubt think that being Gay can be redressed and you have can have it beaten out of you one way or another.... No matter what the evidence and science will show there will always be people to deny it. After all isn't the earth 6000 years old and didn't we all used to roam with dinosaurs...
It would be silly to discuss religion with you.

Quote:
Time to update my ignore list anyway.
More proof that leftists are just the opposite of "open-minded" and "willing to listen to other opinions." Thanks for revealing yet again the hypocrisy! Can't debate the issue? Put that other person on ignore! LOL.

Old 02-10-2010, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedjat View Post
LOL, I guess you didn't notice the word "prejudiced" that was included in that definition of bigot I showed you.

I'd say you aren't a bigot about smokers or drinkers because those aren't qualities that are innate to those people, they weren't born smokers or drinkers.
But you didn't answer my question:
Do you think that every single person who does not condone or approve of homosexuality is a "bigot?"

I did see the word "prejudiced." Again, it is a very broad definition and not agreeing with something does not automatically mean that someone is prejudiced.

Old 02-10-2010, 01:44 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
But you didn't answer my question:
Do you think that every single person who does not condone or approve of homosexuality is a "bigot?"

I did see the word "prejudiced." Again, it is a very broad definition and not agreeing with something does not automatically mean that someone is prejudiced.
How do you 'not agree' with someone's existence? That's a weird statement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies