Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 04:19 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times

Advertisements

Nope. Psychiatrists.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atsCp2SErog

[quote=janelle144;12875870]
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
There is no mental illness or emotional diseases.

Have you been listening to Tom Cruise again???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2010, 04:21 PM

So mentally ill = brutal serial killing now???

Jefferey Dahmer was a cold blooded serial killer. You don't need to diagnose him with anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
Wellllllllllll according to some on here, i guess Jeffery Dahmer was sane indeed,, just misunderstood, my ---!

Old 02-12-2010, 04:35 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,447,268 times
There is a new Brain Imaging CALLED SPECT. It helps Diagnose Patients and monitor treatment of mentally ill patients. In Indiana University investigators are studying whether a blood test can predect mental illness!

Old 02-12-2010, 04:36 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,447,268 times
Quote:
So mentally ill = brutal serial killing now???

Jefferey Dahmer was a cold blooded serial killer. You don't need to diagnose him with anything.

I'm sorry i would say that he was mentally ove the DEEP DEEP END!

Old 02-12-2010, 04:57 PM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Nope. Psychiatrists.
Psychiatrist, note the singular. Who just happens to be a medical consultant for CCHR, which just happens to be a $cientology front.

One can argue whether certain diagnoses are over-used - it's not at all unlikely.

But to broadly state that "There is no mental illness or emotional diseases" is utter and undiluted tripe, trivializing the very real suffering brought on by mental illness patients and their loved ones. So stop it.

Old 02-12-2010, 04:59 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,903,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade52 View Post
Neither.

I'm arguing against big pharma bombarding the airwaves constantly with advertisements for all manner of prescription medications, many of which have psychological side effects that they quickly and superficially gloss over.

I question the need for advertising any prescription drugs. They should be recommended to patients by physicians, not by Broadway advertising execs.

They're not allowed to advertise here in Australia for the most part and those that have been given approval (I think one or two companies for a couple of products) aren't allowed to show the package, give the name of the medication or do much more than play some sweeping music, mention a few symptoms and then advise people to see their doctors for more information. It's always been an eye opener to go to the US and see the number of pharmaceutical ads on the tv.

Old 02-12-2010, 05:00 PM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
Tila Tequila Pretends To Be Stalked - The Hollywood Gossip

she's clearly narcissistic/histrionic, and this is becoming increasingly common. By giving her attention, we create more just like her.
It's the market. The invisible hand is pointing the searchlight (mixed metaphor, sorry) at Tila Tequila.

Old 02-12-2010, 05:02 PM

So what is the very real suffering of a mental ill patient. You seem to be an expert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Psychiatrist, note the singular. Who just happens to be a medical consultant for CCHR, which just happens to be a $cientology front.

One can argue whether certain diagnoses are over-used - it's not at all unlikely.

But to broadly state that "There is no mental illness or emotional diseases" is utter and undiluted tripe, trivializing the very real suffering brought on by mental illness patients and their loved ones. So stop it.

Old 02-12-2010, 05:15 PM

2,126 posts, read 2,382,274 times
Some issues people with mental illness suffer through ("mental illness" obviously being a huge term for many different issues):

-confusion about where one is, who one is to the point of severe disorientation
-"catatonic" states- going into some form of shock
- delusions, such as being followed, hunted, in danger constantly
-erratic and sort of inappropriate responses to situations that are not complex.

I think there is some very clear connections in physical symptoms sometimes as well. While we can argue at length that some people are just "really different," that's really a slap in the face to a lot of people who provide support for such patients, and families who also support a family member who is "mentally ill."

I'm not an expert at all, but I have seen some things. Perhaps if anyone else has things to share it would be helpful. But really artsyguy, if you are interested in finding out (or interested in debunking, whatever) there might be some places you can check out locally wherever you're at. Offer to volunteer for a couple of hours or literally just find someone that works in the field locally to maybe explain services offered for mentally ill- and why- in person.

Dahmer was a killer and criminal and all of that. I don't know much about him, but I wouldn't be surprised if he suffered from a mental illness of some sort.

Old 02-12-2010, 05:19 PM

Well it doesn't matter what so called mental illness he had. It was probably incurable. Some people are born evil. It is that easy to understand.

Hitler and Stalin were serial killers and successful leaders for many years. Do they have a mental illness too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadScribe View Post

Dahmer was a killer and criminal and all of that. I don't know much about him, but I wouldn't be surprised if he suffered from a mental illness of some sort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies