Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 01:48 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
I would also say that indivuduals within a union have NO power with the unions. the Unions just steal their money and do what they want.
Yes they have power. All it takes is 30% signatures to de-certify.
Same rules that apply for forming also apply to de-certifying. They are not STUCK unless they do nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2010, 01:56 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,314,559 times
Three people sued out of 40,000 in the union. What does that suggest? The simple answer to these three people's problem is to just not accept state funded daycare clients and don't use state resources to operate their daycares thus they won't have to join the AFSCME state worker's union. Big deal. They lost their lawsuit. Dead issue.

Old 02-12-2010, 01:58 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Three people sued out of 40,000 in the union. What does that suggest? The simple answer to these three people's problem is to just not accept state funded daycare clients and don't use state resources to operate their daycares thus they won't have to join the AFSCME state worker's union. Big deal. They lost their lawsuit. Dead issue.
I will agree to the extent that if one does not want to accept government intervention they should not accept government subsidies. Dancing with the devil always has a price.

However, unionization of private industry should NOT be paid for by the federal government (a.k.a. every taxpayer).

Old 02-12-2010, 01:59 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Yes they have power. All it takes is 30% signatures to de-certify.
Same rules that apply for forming also apply to de-certifying. They are not STUCK unless they do nothing.
They are stuck. They didn't form a new union just for childcare center owners. They were absorbed into a much larger union. They cannot just de-certify that larger union. And the childcare center owners were never organized.

It's like if all the McDonald's employees were organized. And then someone in Michigan said, hey, let's send a letter to everybody who runs one of those little ice cream trucks and put them in the McDonald's union, because, you know, McDonald's sells ice cream. So a letter gets sent, and most of the ice-cream truck owners toss it, they don't work for McDonald's--they're self-employed. Nope, the state created an employer, the Michigan Ice Cream Vendors Association, for the purpose of maintaining ice cream standards, and suddenly the independent truck owners are working for the MICVA and belong to the McDonald's union. Now, they cannot de-certify the McDonald's union, because it's a BIG union.

Old 02-12-2010, 02:02 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Three people sued out of 40,000 in the union.
I doubt it's just three but it doesn;t matter if it's one person, if you're a small private business you should never be forced to pay union dues just because you're accepting subsidy money for your clients.

I'll ask again where is the benefit other than to the Union?

Old 02-12-2010, 02:12 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,701,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I doubt it's just three but it doesn;t matter if it's one person, if you're a small private business you should never be forced to pay union dues just because you're accepting subsidy money for your clients.

Does the Union provide Health Care or other benefits?

Old 02-12-2010, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post

Yes, it was only three people who sued out of the potential 40,000 daycare providers who accept state money, and you can't tell me their lawyer didn't try to get more involved. If he didn't he was about as bright as the 'black' in a box of crayons. (Read my linked article below.)

I don't know anything about the state worker's union and what benefits they fought to get their members. All I know is that no one is forcing these people who sued to accept state money for caring for children from poor families. Many daycare businesses thrive just dandy without doing that which they could do, too, if they are so opposed to paying union dues.

Petoskey News-Review - Appeals court dismisses union dues day care case (http://www.petoskeynews.com/news/article_a79b1040-facd-11de-a695-001cc4c002e0.html - broken link)

Old 02-12-2010, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Yes, it was only three people who sued out of the potential 40,000 daycare providers who accept state money, and you can't tell me their lawyer didn't try to get more involved. If he didn't he was about as bright as the black crayon in a box. (Read my linked article below.)

I don't know anything about the state worker's union and what benefits they fought to get their members. All I know is that no one is forcing these people who sued to accept state money for caring for children from poor families. Many daycare businesses thrive just dandy without doing that which they could do, too, if they are so opposed to paying union dues.

Petoskey News-Review - Appeals court dismisses union dues day care case (http://www.petoskeynews.com/news/article_a79b1040-facd-11de-a695-001cc4c002e0.html - broken link)
While many daycare businesses thrive without taking poverty level children in, the fact is that accepting poverty level children allows their parents to work, and so is an important service to the community. The day care business owners shouldn't be penalized because they provide that service. And they are being penalized if they have to pay dues to a union to which they don't want to belong.

Old 02-12-2010, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
While many daycare businesses thrive without taking poverty level children in, the fact is that accepting poverty level children allows their parents to work, and so is an important service to the community. The day care business owners shouldn't be penalized because they provide that service. And they are being penalized if they have to pay dues to a union to which they don't want to belong.
You take a paycheck from the state, you are a state worker in the eyes of the court that ruled against these people. Why is that so hard to understand?

Last edited by Wayland Woman; 02-12-2010 at 02:34 PM.. Reason: removed an incorrect line

Old 02-12-2010, 02:29 PM

Quote:
You take a paycheck from the state, you are a state worker in the eyes of the court that ruled against these people. Why is that so hard to understand? These were corporate daycares, not your neighbor-down-the-street type daycares.
I missed the part where they were corporate daycares. When do you become a corporate daycare? When you have 5% of your clients being subsidized, 10%, 20%? Is that when you lose the right to decide for yourself whether to join a union?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies