Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2010, 08:56 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,229,958 times

Advertisements

This is really sad since it could have been prevented.

Alissa Blanton: Stalker Kills Florida Newlywed, Former Hooters Waitress - ABC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2010, 09:36 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,435,990 times
Stalkers should be imprisoned.

Judges who refuse to protect people from stalkers should be disbarred.

Old 02-13-2010, 10:15 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,436,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
Stalkers should be imprisoned.

Judges who refuse to protect people from stalkers should be disbarred.

What in the ---- was wrong with that judge, it was not like she did not have proof, of what was happening, some judges boy, need to go. I partly blame him for this.

Old 02-13-2010, 10:20 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
Orders of protection are worth the paper they are written upon. This guy was bent on killing this gal. Unless she saw him coming and had been armed and ready/willing/able to defend herself from his lethal use of force herself, nothing would have changed this outcome.

Should the judge have issued the order of protection? Absolutely.
Would that have stopped the murderer? Unlikely.

Old 02-13-2010, 11:25 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,991,168 times
Sad indeed. Just more of the usual Male Entitlement Syndrome, perpetuated by misogynist laws, courts, lawyers, and judges.

Old 02-14-2010, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post

Orders of protection are worth the paper they are written upon. This guy was bent on killing this gal. Unless she saw him coming and had been armed and ready/willing/able to defend herself from his lethal use of force herself, nothing would have changed this outcome.

Should the judge have issued the order of protection? Absolutely.
Would that have stopped the murderer? Unlikely.
Right in one respect, wrong in another. Orders of protection are worthless, that's why I think stalkers should be put behind bars. It's individual terrorism, plain and simple.

However, her being armed wouldn't have saved her life, either. How was she to know he was going to pull a gun that time? And even if she saw him pull one on her, the odds that she'd be able to dig around in her purse, find her gun, pull it out and shoot him before he shot her are zero to nil. And if she merely shot him upon sight, then she'd be the guilty one and find herself behind bars.

Stalking = Terrorism = Prison

That's the only solution that will keep the predator away from their prey.

Old 02-14-2010, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Right in one respect, wrong in another. Orders of protection are worthless, that's why I think stalkers should be put behind bars. It's individual terrorism, plain and simple.

However, her being armed wouldn't have saved her life, either. How was she to know he was going to pull a gun that time? And even if she saw him pull one on her, the odds that she'd be able to dig around in her purse, find her gun, pull it out and shoot him before he shot her are zero to nil. And if she merely shot him upon sight, then she'd be the guilty one and find herself behind bars.

Our legal system does not allow people to be "locked up" before they are proven guilty of a crime. This judge couldn't even find the evidence to consider him a credible threat for an emergency order of protection. So you would expect him to have been "locked up" as a stalker how?

People, once they know they are prey, can choose to be a victim, or they can choose to protect themselves. Never trust your life to our legal system or to the police. They are only there to enforce laws after they are broken and have no obligation to "protect and serve".

Being armed may have saved her life and it may not have. Truth is we'll never know. So either is a supposition. What we do know is that doing nothing while waiting on legal channels did not save her life.

Most people who CCW, as allowed under Florida law, do not have to "dig around" in their purses to get their firearm. They are trained, prepared, and have it on their person, ready for deployment at a second's notice, especially when they have a "stalker". This woman chose, on some level, not to take advantage of the law that allowed her to protect herself.

I take it from your above post that you know little about CCW, recognizing the presentation of a lethal threat, and defending oneself from a lethal threat. Such might be a useful skillset to obtain, if you are legally able.

Old 02-14-2010, 11:23 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,314,292 times
Quote:

How about a private sector counter-stalker - a not so friendly, Private Investigator?

I guess you'd have to be able to afford it, though.

Old 02-14-2010, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post

Our legal system does not allow people to be "locked up" before they are proven guilty of a crime. This judge couldn't even find the evidence to consider him a credible threat for an emergency order of protection. So you would expect him to have been "locked up" as a stalker how?
The judge was an ass. She had over 70 pages of threatening emails. That's good enough for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal

I take it from your above post that you know little about CCW, recognizing the presentation of a lethal threat, and defending oneself from a lethal threat. Such might be a useful skillset to obtain, if you are legally able.
You know what they say about assuming, right?

Old 02-14-2010, 11:41 AM

Quote:
The judge was an ass. She had over 70 pages of threatening emails. That's good enough for me. You know what they say about assuming, right?
I do not support the judges actions.

Just because you may have a photo of yourself on the range does not mean you have the mindset or skills to use your weapon in a position of self-defense. Your previous post would seem to be written by a person who is unprepared if faced by a similar threat as that of the victim. I can only take you for what you write and your writing is that of one who needs much training, especially in mindset. I hope you'll get it.

I can sit on my piano bench and pose for a photo but that doesn't make me a pianist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies