Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 04:04 PM

20,341 posts, read 19,930,346 times

Advertisements

I used to live in a town (in NJ, where else) that required separate containers for

Aluminum

Plastics

Paper

Brown glass

Green glass

Clear glass

God help you if they found a brown bottle with the green.

What a pain in the a**.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2010, 04:09 PM

7,168 posts, read 5,366,904 times
Even though I am in the opposite camp from the GW/climate change crowd I still recycle,the reason being is I am poor and want to save money.My small town has large recycling containers that you can put glass,plastic and tin,therefore I do not have to pay 30 bucks a month to the trash company.
Most likely the OP won't like this,I save my cardboard and paper all year long to put in the wood burner to start a fire during the winter.
One of the first things I did when I moved here was I pulled down a outside light that was hooked to a telephone pole.Not because I was worried about the environment,the reason was it saved me $5 a month.Table scraps either go to my dogs,chickens or are thrown in the garden as compost.Nothing goes to waste on my home front,I recycle my beer cans and pick up $12 twice a year.
HMMMM maybe I am a closet environmentalist who knows.

Old 02-14-2010, 04:27 PM

805 posts, read 1,510,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reid_g View Post
Even though I am in the opposite camp from the GW/climate change crowd I still recycle,the reason being is I am poor and want to save money.My small town has large recycling containers that you can put glass,plastic and tin,therefore I do not have to pay 30 bucks a month to the trash company.
Most likely the OP won't like this,I save my cardboard and paper all year long to put in the wood burner to start a fire during the winter.
One of the first things I did when I moved here was I pulled down a outside light that was hooked to a telephone pole.Not because I was worried about the environment,the reason was it saved me $5 a month.Table scraps either go to my dogs,chickens or are thrown in the garden as compost.Nothing goes to waste on my home front,I recycle my beer cans and pick up $12 twice a year.
HMMMM maybe I am a closet environmentalist who knows.

This is exactly what people did prior to plastics and styrofoam. It was all about being practical and not waste anything. Good for you.

Old 02-14-2010, 05:13 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
I personally do not recycle. The effects of me not doing so aren't going to make an impact until long after I am dead. After I'm dead, why should I care what happens?

Old 02-14-2010, 05:25 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,413,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1greatcity View Post
Seems all the car exhaust you expelled into the atmosphere driving back and forth to the recycling center pretty much negated the green benefit you were trying to achieve.
DOH!

Our city provides two trash cans and collects the recyclable stuff once a week. It really is unclear what should go into regular garbage here since the recycle bin encompasses so much of our waste. What concerns me more, though, is that public trash receptacles at gas stations, super markets etc do NOT provide for recyclable trash so it would seem to me that all of this is just lip service to an idea.

Old 02-14-2010, 05:41 PM

5,696 posts, read 6,208,954 times
I recycle everything I can, but I do not loose my cool if someone else does not~
I have better things to do than waste my energy like that

Old 02-14-2010, 05:47 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,426,570 times
I had this conversation with a house guest:

Me; Don't put the cans in the trash. We recycle.
Guest: Oh, Ian (the boyfriend) says no one really does that.
Me: We do. Always have, even when we had to haul the cans to a recycling center.
Guest: Oh

Old 02-14-2010, 05:47 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,023,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
Before my apartment complex and my office recycled, I drove the 9 miles one way to the city's recycling center with my trunk and back seat overflowing with stuff. I couldn't live with the guilt if I didn't do what was right.
That's fine and dandy for you but there is a limit to what I can carry on a bus and I'm not going to spend an hour carting two bags of recycles to the nearest location. That is just plain unrealistic to expect anyone to do so get off your high horse.

Old 02-14-2010, 05:48 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,426,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I personally do not recycle. The effects of me not doing so aren't going to make an impact until long after I am dead. After I'm dead, why should I care what happens?
You're simply wrong. But then, it's all about you. You must be proud.

Old 02-14-2010, 06:23 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,139,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1greatcity View Post
Seems all the car exhaust you expelled into the atmosphere driving back and forth to the recycling center pretty much negated the green benefit you were trying to achieve.
Well if it's any consolation, I walk to work instead of driving like most people do. This in 110 degree desert heat. It's rare for me to do anything that puts more than 20 miles on my car. I drive about 400 per month in total. So, not so bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies