Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is a basic need that should be covered as rights?
NOTHING. 17 44.74%
Food and Water 4 10.53%
Food, Water, Clothing 6 15.79%
Food, Water, Clothing, Home 8 21.05%
Food, Water, Clothing, Home, Car 0 0%
Food, Water, Clothing, Home, Car, Job 3 7.89%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 09:03 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,789,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadScribe View Post
Indeed. University has become a huge & industry. Should be very affordable for all classes in US American society.
We don't have to worry about the rich not being able to afford it.
My concern lies with students from low-income and middle-class students. Our middle class is shrinking and soon it will just be low-income and the rich.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2010, 09:04 PM

14,483 posts, read 11,285,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Well that could be taken many ways.
I pay into welfare. Does that mean I have a right to receive that? Do I have the right to buy whatever I want that is legal?
What are you talking about? And what do you think is the very basic.
Alright I'll reword it. No one has a right to receive material or services.

Old 02-15-2010, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Alright I'll reword it. No one has a right to receive material or services.
Hmmm....so if I pay someone $, I don't have a right to receive the services or material I pay for?

Old 02-15-2010, 09:10 PM

1,715 posts, read 4,778,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
Ya know if everyone had a job, health care, education, etc we'd be a lot better off.
Everyone would be paying into the pool and no one would come up with these idiotic statements like, "I don't want to pay for your free stuff."

I didn't say it would be "free."

What about the gas tax we all pay? Waaah I hate my gas taxes are paying for roads you drive on.

I didn't say it would be "free" yes you did

I think health care is a right along with food,water, and an education. K-12 should be free

Old 02-15-2010, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tworent View Post
I didn't say it would be "free" yes you did

I think health care is a right along with food,water, and an education. K-12 should be free
Ahh gotcha.
So you think we should charge parents to educate their children?

In some ways we already do, property taxes, income taxes, or whatever.
I don't really keep up with it because I don't have kids and I'm not having any. No need to worry about K-12, college, day care, etc.

Old 02-15-2010, 09:22 PM

1,715 posts, read 4,778,716 times
Quote:
Ahh gotcha.

I don't really keep up with it because I don't have kids and I'm not having any. No need to worry about K-12, college, day care, etc.

Yes I do, you should get a discount if you do not have kids on your taxes but you get a discount for having more

Old 02-15-2010, 09:23 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,201,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
What is a basic need that should be covered as rights?

I was wondering because I was talking to a conservative (who claims to be "prolife" ironically enough) and he said NOTHING is a right. I suggested that food and water is something that should be provided to EVERY American as they have the right to life when they are given citizenship at birth. He still disagreed. I am not talking about giving homeless people the most luxurious meals or steak but at the every least they deserve SOMETHING to live on. NO ONE deserves to go hungry in this country in my honest opinion.

I believe the very bare minimum should be food and water. The rest is up to you. But do you all think food and water is too much?

out of the choices you gave, nothing.

you should be able to be given a chance to gain all of them, without money from any state or federal agency, and without interference either.

Old 02-15-2010, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tworent View Post
Yes I do, you should get a discount if you do not have kids on your taxes
Ya know I used to feel that way but then I realized I didn't want a bunch of little idiots running around so I don't mind paying taxes so someone else's kids can get an education.

I don't see how so many can profess to call the U.S. a Christian country when it seems so few people care about their fellow citizens. Isn't one of the tenets of Christianity to be Christ-like? I doubt Jesus would be protesting about paying property taxes to benefit public schools.

Oh well.

You can also run on the platform that we shouldn't be paying taxes to educate other people's kids. I'd love to see how far you'd get with that considering how many people have children and wouldn't want to see those without kids getting a discount on their taxes....

Old 02-15-2010, 09:27 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,116,607 times
I don't think a car is a right.

But health & education should be.

Old 02-15-2010, 09:28 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,201,197 times
Quote:
Ahh gotcha.

great, so we should be getting a state and federal tax break for all those parents that decide to homeschool or send their children to private schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies