Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 08:16 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,145,685 times

Advertisements

Jan. 29 (Bloomberg) -- The U.S. economy expanded in the fourth quarter at the fastest pace in six years as factories cranked up assembly lines, indicating the recovery may be strong enough to be weaned from government support.

The dollar rallied as the data signaled the momentum generated by the world’s largest economy last quarter will carry into the new year. Rising investment in equipment and software is boosting sales at companies including Intel Corp. and may help bring the jobless rate down from close to a 26-year high as employers add staff to meet demand.'[/b]

U.S. Economy: Growth Jumps 5.7%, Fastest Pace in Six Years - BusinessWeek

Last edited by CaseyB; 02-17-2010 at 03:17 PM.. Reason: shortened quote
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2010, 08:19 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,133,250 times
I'm sure everyone will agree this is excellent news! It seems as though the stimulus HAS worked and we're getting back on track.

As a small business owner who serves enterprise level companies and federal government agencies, I will be glad to see growth that will help my business grow!

If you aren't happy about this news, I wonder about your patriotism.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:25 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,346,052 times
I can say that I've started to see the expansion of the economy in my line of work. For the first time in about 18 months, there are more projects than people to fill positions which is great news.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:28 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,605,811 times
I'm happy. But that number is misleading, when it is all put in context of what cause and effect does.

When you have 3 quarters of growth, then we can seriously talk.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:42 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,323,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Jan. 29 (Bloomberg) -- The U.S. economy expanded in the fourth quarter at the fastest pace in six years as factories cranked up assembly lines, indicating the recovery may be strong enough to be weaned from government support.

The dollar rallied as the data signaled the momentum generated by the world’s largest economy last quarter will carry into the new year. Rising investment in equipment and software is boosting sales at companies including Intel Corp. and may help bring the jobless rate down from close to a 26-year high as employers add staff to meet demand.

“We are getting on to something that is pretty sustainable,†said Bruce Kasman, chief economist at JPMorgan Chase & Co. in New York, who correctly forecast the gain in GDP. “Both consumers and businesses are beginning to increase spending. To get validation, we need to see a return in hiring, which we think we are going to get over the next few months.â€

U.S. Economy: Growth Jumps 5.7%, Fastest Pace in Six Years - BusinessWeek
Yup.
LOTS of good news mentioned in that article. Truly the economy is starting to fire on all cylinders so there's a pretty good chance that when the February job numbers are announced next month there will be job GROWTH rather than job loss.

Ken

Old 02-16-2010, 08:45 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,323,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
I'm happy. But that number is misleading, when it is all put in context of what cause and effect does.

When you have 3 quarters of growth, then we can seriously talk.
That 3rd quarter of growth will happen THIS quarter and be announced in April.

Ken

Old 02-16-2010, 08:49 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,032,387 times
FYI there are already 3 topics with titles almost exactly the same as this one:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...-years-28.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...rew-5-7-a.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...t-quarter.html

In any case, while 5.7% is good news, the advance estimates are always revised down quite a bit. In the 3rd quarter growth was initially pegged at 3.6% only to reach a final value of 2.2%. I suspect that once the rest of the data files in (Feb 29th and March 29th) it will be where most economists predicted, 3.9%-4.2%. Better than being in the negative for sure, but no where near what you would expect for a recovery from the worst recession since the Great Depression.

I trust the BEA to be honest as opposed to any secondary source:

http://bea.gov/newsreleases/national...ewsrelease.htm

Old 02-16-2010, 08:50 PM

3,219 posts, read 6,580,292 times
IF there's sustained growth and job creation it'll have nothing to do with Obama and or the so-called wasteful $timulus IMO.

Call it US businesses doing their thing on their own.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:51 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,133,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njguy View Post
Call it US businesses doing their thing on their own.
After begging the government for and receiving our tax dollars in the form of TARP funds?

Old 02-16-2010, 08:52 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,193,530 times
I figure the rug will get pulled out from the US economy again this year or next in a double dip recession. it just hasnt happened yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies