Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 09:11 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,591,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
And there are people like you who get disgusted when they see a fat person eating fatty or sugary foods. Some even go up to the fat person and yell at them for being fat and eating and looking so disgusting. Seems perfectly fine to you until people begin to attack something you do and enjoy.
Wrong. As always. You probably enjoy being wrong all the time. Why the hell would I get disgusting seeing a fat person eating? it does not affect me. Smoking in public DOES affect me. If you want to smoke cancer sticks and burn your lungs out, DO IT. By all means! Kill yourself. I don't care. Your choice. But don't get other people into it. Especially young kids.

I care for people when they are alive. Unlike "prolifers".

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
Then walk away when someone around you smokes.
What if I can't? What if a restaurant is filled with people who are smoking? What about people who live with you and they smoke? Kids and parents?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2010, 09:13 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,808,589 times
Quote:
Go to google or bing and type in "cigarette thefts". I was shocked at the number of hits that came up reporting an increase in cigarette thefts. I'll post the links of some here.
Cigarette Theft
Some retailers have reported an increase in cigarette theft. There are several factors that can contribute to why cigarettes might be a targeted item by thieves: they can carry a increasingly high price tag, can be easily resold, are easily transportable and are in constant demand.
Cigarette thefts rising in NRV - Roanoke.com
But cigarettes were the apparent target of a break-in late the night of Oct. 11 at the store, which sits just off U.S. 460 on Virginia 42. Someone rammed a pickup truck into the double glass doors and took about 60 cartons -- worth nearly $2,600 -- from behind the counter in less than a minute.
Daily Herald | Massive cigarette theft from East Peoria warehouse (http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=353849&src=110 - broken link)
EAST PEORIA -- Police in East Peoria say cartons of cigarettes worth many thousands -- or perhaps even several millions -- of dollars were stolen during a break-in at the Federal Warehouse Co.
Cigarette Thefts - Bowling Green / Warren County Crime Stoppers - Call 781-CLUE (http://www.bgky.org/crimestoppers/cotwdetail.php?id=152 - broken link)
Over the past few weeks, someone has broken into several grocery stores, convenient marts and tobacco shops and stole cartons of cigarettes. During each burglary the suspect stole 30-40 cartons of cigarettes, placed them in a large duffle bag and fled the scene

http://www.stategazette.com/story/1586140.html
Dusty B. Haynes, 28, 312 S. Hazel in Halls, was given an effective eight-year sentence after pleading guilty to burglary and theft of property less than $500. He was accused of entering the Murphy USA building on Dec. 18 and stealing 12 cartons of cigarettes, valued at $460. He received an eight-year sentence for the burglary and a concurrent 11-month, 29-day sentence for the theft. He was ordered to pay $480.48 restitution to Murphy USA.
Cigarettes have always been hot items for professional thieves because they can be sold for almost what they cost- as opposed to most fenced items. Strangely enough baby formula and disposable diapers are hot items to jack too- for the same reason.

Old 02-21-2010, 09:18 PM

I think smokers are slobs for the most part. Smokers are not any different than any other drug addict. In fact they are worse because they feel the need to engage in their habits around others. At least a heroin addict does not pollute everybody else's space. Not to mention they fires they set and the way they are always dumping their ash trays out of their cars on the street and flicking hot butts everywhere. Smokers are truly low class people- right down there with winos and bums almost. I would never hire one and no business in its right mind would. So anything that hurts smokers is fine by me.

Old 02-21-2010, 09:19 PM

9,904 posts, read 13,919,121 times
Sorry, gotta laugh.

Just compare the price of cigarettes per pack here in Oz to what you are paying in the US. Can't say I've noticed a massive increase in the number of cigarette thefts because of it NOR despite the best efforts of the facists has everyone quit.

Old 02-21-2010, 09:20 PM

7,788 posts, read 8,047,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Wrong. As always. You probably enjoy being wrong all the time. Why the hell would I get disgusting seeing a fat person eating? it does not affect me. Smoking in public DOES affect me. If you want to smoke cancer sticks and burn your lungs out, DO IT. By all means! Kill yourself. I don't care. Your choice. But don't get other people into it. Especially young kids.

I care for people when they are alive. Unlike "prolifers".

What if I can't? What if a restaurant is filled with people who are smoking? What about people who live with you and they smoke? Kids and parents?
oh c'omon exactly where does this go on anymore. I never smoked in a restaurant even when it was legal after they had spent $100000 on a ventilation system for their smoking area

Old 02-21-2010, 09:25 PM

7,788 posts, read 8,047,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I think smokers are slobs for the most part. Smokers are not any different than any other drug addict. In fact they are worse because they feel the need to engage in their habits around others. At least a heroin addict does not pollute everybody else's space. Not to mention they fires they set and the way they are always dumping their ash trays out of their cars on the street and flicking hot butts everywhere. Smokers are truly low class people- right down there with winos and bums almost. I would never hire one and no business in its right mind would. So anything that hurts smokers is fine by me.
i feel the same way about people who fart, have BO no pun intended, are stupid and cant shut up or dress funny so should we or should i say you tax them for it ?

Old 02-21-2010, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
i feel the same way about people who fart, have BO no pun intended, are stupid and cant shut up or dress funny so should we or should i say you tax them for it ?
Anybody who farts in public should get beat!

Old 02-21-2010, 09:35 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,591,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
oh c'omon exactly where does this go on anymore. I never smoked in a restaurant even when it was legal after they had spent $100000 on a ventilation system for their smoking area
Oh no. It goes on. In fact, every time I go to a restaurant, I can smell the smoke. I hate seeing lil kids in there smoking that CRAP in.

Old 02-21-2010, 09:37 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,039,586 times
I think they should have a progressive tax on cigarettes that scales along with the amount of additives and toxic chemicals in the tobacco.

Old 02-21-2010, 09:46 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,896,492 times
Quote:
FOXNews.com - States' Budget Woes Ignites Debate Over Raising Tobacco Taxes
A proposal to states from health advocates to raise the state taxes on cigarettes by another $1 per pack. Their argument is that it will help raise money for the state while reducing the number of smokers and reducing the amount of young people to take up smoking. Opponents say it'll hurt poor people the most and cause a further increase in blackmarket cigarette sales which are illegal and bypasses taxes.

I'm all for everyone quitting smoking. I'm just worried that with so much of the states' budgets coming from cigarette taxes, what are they going to increase taxes on to make up for the loss of cigarette tax revenue? Will alcohol prices double from taxes (beer, wine, and other spirits)? Will gas prices jump from tax increases? What about food and clothing?

So to all you smokers, if your state raises taxes by $1 per pack,...what will you do? Will you keep paying and smoking as usual? Cut back on smoking? Quit smoking? Or buy on the blackmarket?
Hahaha I love when they act like less kids will smoke if its more expensive. They have more expendable income than anyone, and they don't care what it costs, they typically just steal packs from their parents or friends parents who smoke, I didn't buy a pack until I was like 19 and started smoking again.

Filthy habit but sheesh no one will cut back with a dollar increase, of course I live where a pack of marlboros can be had for less than four bucks, so black market cigarettes are somthing most people here haven't even heard of. I heard a pack is like ten bucks in NYC, crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies