Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 06:42 AM

3,566 posts, read 3,733,875 times

Advertisements

This is sincere gratitude. I'm grateful to Obama for waking more and more people up to the unsustainability of federal spending. And he did it by outspending all of his predecessors.

Since WWII the U.S has amassed a large and growing debt--most of which was hidden from public view. For years politicians have focused our attention on the debt caused by the direct borrowing through the sale of government bonds. But as long as the ratio of debt to GDP was within an acceptable range economists assured us that we had nothing to worry about. Besides most of that debt was owed to American citizens who bought those bonds.

Hidden from view was the borrowing that the government was doing by raiding the Social Security funds and dropping an IOU in that supposed "lock box," thus creating future unfunded liabilities. In 1992 Ross Perot tried to warn us about the looming debt crisis but the warning went unheeded. By the way, I didn't vote for Perot. Maybe I should have.

And so we continued on our profligate ways. But increasingly our debt is owned by China and Japan, not by American citizens. And remember the unfunded liability in Social Security and Medicare? Those total about 70 trillion now and as the baby boomers retire the bills are coming due. Recently Congress again tried to distract us by raising the debt ceiling (what the government is allowed to borrow by issuing binds) to 14 trillion. Peanuts compared to our unfunded liabilities.

Until now our credit card spending really wasn't too painful. Remember the frog in the pot of water being gradually boiled to death? That was us until Obama came along. Then he did something quite unexpected. He increased spending astronomically. That was like raising the heat under the pot of water and now more and more people are waking up to the fact that we are being boiled to death--so to speak. That's a good thing. Because when the frog realizes that the water is too hot it jumps out of the pot. Thanks to Obama we may be seeing a lot of people jumping out of his boiling caldron, and not a minute too soon. We can turn this around and I don't just mean Obama's spending spree. I mean the national 50-year spending spree that we have been on. It's time for adults to take charge of the check book.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2010, 06:44 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
I could care less about the Federal Debt because I, and the government, have no intention of paying any of it. So long as my Social Security and Medicare are available after I retire in a couple of years I will not care where the money comes from.

Old 02-22-2010, 06:48 AM

768 posts, read 942,943 times
How does Obama take the fall for the financial history of the United States post 1900 again? Is it his bipartisan-supported stimulus bill? (which literally every mainstream economist in the country thinks was needed to thwart what would surely otherwise be the greatest depression in American History?)

Old 02-22-2010, 06:51 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,950,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I could care less about the Federal Debt because I, and the government, have no intention of paying any of it. So long as my Social Security and Medicare are available after I retire in a couple of years I will not care where the money comes from.
Do you think it will be available at current levels?

Old 02-22-2010, 06:52 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
So you will worry about it then when it's too late to fix ?

Old 02-22-2010, 06:55 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,331,859 times
Quote:
Get ready to grab your ankles, because I see a definite movement out there to stick it to the baby-boomers. AARP is much to liberal to be any help, boomers might have to create their own lobby to fend off the government grabbing everything we've ever made, saved or contributed.

Old 02-22-2010, 07:42 AM

Quote:
I could have my Louis's wrong but wasn't it Louis XV of France who is credited with saying "Apres moi, le deluge" (After me, the flood) And flood it did. He was followed by Louis XVI who lost his head in the revolution. And the rest, as they say, is history. My question to you is: are you (we, since I'm two years away from retirement also) a Louis XV type or a Louis XVI type?

Old 02-22-2010, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkin about it View Post
How does Obama take the fall for the financial history of the United States post 1900 again? Is it his bipartisan-supported stimulus bill? (which literally every mainstream economist in the country thinks was needed to thwart what would surely otherwise be the greatest depression in American History?)
I'm not saying he should be blamed for the profligate spending of his predecessors. I'm saying his own massive deficits are finally opening our eyes to the peril we face from his and all previous deficit spending of the past 50 years have put us in. People are seeing Greece's plight (self-inflicted) and wonder if that is not our future.

As far as the stimulus plan being bipartisan--hardly. And if anything saved as from the fiscal abyss it was likely the bank bailouts--which Obama did support while he was in the Senate but which were engineered by Hank Paulson of the Bush administration. But the jury is still out on the wisdom of that measure.

Old 02-22-2010, 07:54 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,328,091 times
Yes, we have been on a steady path towards insolvency ramped up 1000 notches by the recent Obama spending spree. I'm glad the public is finally waking up to the fact that we cannot continue down this path or risk turning into a 3rd rate country.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:43 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
So you will worry about it then when it's too late to fix ?

We passed that point when the country decided to ignore Eisenhower's warning about the Military-Industrial Complex. It's now a parasite so invasive it can't be killed without killing the host.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies