Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 09:33 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,193,338 times

Advertisements

I think there was a time when the overwhelming majority of conservatives were homophones (in the '80;s and '90's). That is changing and maybe it is about 50/50 today. Pat yourself on the back, but that number could still stand to improve!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2013, 09:34 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,193,338 times
I meant "homophobes" (not homophones).

Old 03-03-2013, 09:43 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,818,000 times
I think people just categorize too much.

I knew a gay man who was against gay marriage.
I don't think every gay person believes this.
I see black people commit crimes.
I don't believe every black person is going to commit a crime.
I see Mexican people make racial slures towards other Central American countries.
I don't believe every Mexican is racist.
I see a white person leave the scene of a car agaisident.
I don't believe every white person has been in a hit and run.

Republicans and just as many democrats see some bad in a group and just assume all of us are like that, just read these boards and see for yourself.

Old 03-03-2013, 10:05 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,461,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuDiBelle View Post
Thanks for pointing that out. There are many conservatives (myself included) that are pro-gay rights.

I think it's easier for some to just clump the anti-gay bible thumpers in with the rest of the conservatives.
Sure, it's "easier". And purely coincidentally, it lets them bash the entire conservative movement for the views of just part of that movement. But they're just doing what's "easier". Like it's just "easier" to say the Tea Party is racist. It's "easier" to say the Republicans hate poor people. It's "easier" to say conservatives have a war on women.

Old 03-03-2013, 10:31 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,258,614 times
Scanning through the thread the anti gay people don't seem to have shown up. Maybe because they have no desire to contradict your thread or maybe they are protesting something. It does seem to me that many conservatives do not want homosexuals to have the same rights as everybody else. Perhaps they are just an extremely loud minority, but they don't seem to get shut down by many conservatives that often. So what impression does that give a person?

I can't say I really see that many conservatives promoting equal rights. Liberals take the opposite route and try to grant everyone a special victim status with no concern for any consequences. I can understand if someone doesn't understand homosexuality or even approve of it, but I don't understand why so many people obsess over it. It is best to let people be who they are and focus on larger issues. If you try to attach some sort of stigma to homosexuality people are still going to be gay, bu might hide it. Wouldn't you want less men competing for women? Less gays suffering from a social stigma you helped flourish and less gays pretending to be straight?

Leave the religion and your judgement in the car and you will gain more voters.

I personally am neither conservative/liberal, republican/democrat. All USA politicians suck

Old 03-03-2013, 10:43 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,513,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
If you fear gays and lesbians exercising every freedom you want to have for yourself, you're a homophobe.

I will say, though, that not all conservatives are homophobes. But all homophobes are "conservatives".
Except for Fred Phelps and the Westboro Baptist church people.

They are big time liberals. He was pretty important in the Democrat party a few years back .

Old 03-03-2013, 10:53 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,008,037 times
I think one of the major problems is the distortion in which "homophobe" is applied. Unfortunately, a lot of gays and evangelists are their own worst enemy with this "with us or against us" approach which ultimately leaves people to identify with either of the two extremes.

I personally would not call myself "pro gay rights", nor woud I call myself a "homophobe." IMO, a homophobe is a fear that results in outright hatred, and being "pro" would be an embracer of the lifestyle. I personally wouldn't say that I fall into one camp or the other.

Old 03-03-2013, 11:45 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,445,686 times
Yeah, I guess that's why so many conservatives have rallied their identity around denying full personal union rights to gay adults.

Old 03-04-2013, 12:13 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 18 days ago)

29,552 posts, read 16,531,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mossomo View Post
I listen to you lefties go on about how Republicans and Conservatives are homophobes. But it is very far from the truth. If we were anti-gay, we would have rallied and cheered this guy on. We didn't. The CPAC crowd booed gay basher Ryan Sorba for bashing GOP GoProud group right.

CPAC crowd boos Gay Basher Ryan Sorba for Bashing GOP GoProud Group - Democratic Underground
Regardless of your individual beliefs, your party has a platform that is anti gay marriage. Does that make the party homophobic,NO,but it does mean the party supports inequality among the citizens of this nation.

http://www.gop.com/wp-content/upload...OPPlatform.pdf

Old 03-04-2013, 12:57 AM

22,632 posts, read 14,936,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
The made up word homophobe, by the gay community, implies a fear of gays which would be the very rare person. People do not fear gays, they do not agree with the homosexual lifestyle. I do not recognize made up words.
The word Homophobia has been attributed to a distinguished heterosexual psychologist and author Dr. George Weinberg in the mid Twentieth Century. He discussed the nature of homophobia in a chapter of his book "Society And The Healthy Homosexual."

The word is in every dictionary. Look it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post
Homophobic is a made up word? LOL Then I guess ethnocentric, racist, and xenophobic are made up words too.
Essentially all words are "made up."

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Every word that I just typed is made up.
Exactly! Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies