Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2010, 12:17 PM

1,933 posts, read 1,825,032 times

Advertisements

I heard that Bunning got spanked by Mitch McConnell and he is just angry. It was on one of the news shows this morning.
Does anyone think Mitch holds his mouth in an odd way? Elaine Cho is his wife.

This delay will hurt people down the road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 12:18 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,471,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
Today, there are no jobs left in our country for American workers.
Actually, more than four million people were hired into new jobs in December, and at the end of the year, there were just under 2.5 million job openings waiting to be filled.

Quote:
Why? Bottom line. Because our jobs have gone to other countries.
If we could send Lou Dobbs' job overseas, there'd be a lot less confusion here on this side of the big water.

Old 03-01-2010, 12:22 PM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,379,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Do you feel as much animosity toward the WallStreeters/bankers/corporations that have received ample deficit funding from the Gov't? I would challenge you to look for work in this environment. the employers are very flaky now since they know that there are mamy more ppl looking for work than before. The gov't created this crummy job market with the export of jobs to India, China, Mexico and other countries. The very least that they can do is to help citizens out who cannot locate work thru no fault of their own.
Are these rhetorical questions? While I have no admiration for the greed and corruption of the bankers, etc., I agree with you that the government is the SOURCE of the deficit funding. The government set up an entitlement environment encouraging nonproductive consumers to overextend themselves and you are surprised that the bankers took advantage of a stacked deck?? The government offered to buy their votes, and you are surprised some of these people accepted the bribe.

As for "challenging me to look for work in this environment", I wouldn't go there if I were you. I have been a sole proprietorship, fighting for clients and surviving in business for the past twenty five years. My focus is helping disenfranchised patients (psychiatric, developmentally disabled, Alzheimers, etc). As a small business I pay twice the SS/Medicare taxes of a traditional "employee", picking up both the employer and employee's share. Never has the government burden been more onerous on my business. As regulation and government control increases, reimbursement decreases, and taxes increase I have been cutting clients. My colleagues and I are dangerously close to refusing Medicare/Medicaid patients altogether. In truth, at this point in my career I could retire and live just fine on my savings. If the government continues in its nanny-state approach to controlling healthcare providers, don't start when services are unavailable.

Returning to the last part of the post you directed at me: I believe you again inadvertently identified the problem. In truth, "the more government helps citizens out", the more it removes their ability and motivation to work. The government has never been accurate in assessing which citizens truly "cannot work through no fault of their own". In the process they set up programs that bleed tax payors dry to support fraud, waste, and "administrative" costs. I am merely submitting unemployment insurance as one example. You think perpetuating it ad infinatum creates jobs?

Old 03-01-2010, 12:23 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,044,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Actually, more than four million people were hired into new jobs in December, and at the end of the year, there were just under 2.5 million job openings waiting to be filled.
It's March now and we have over 10% unemployment.

Where are all these jobs you're talking about? You need to tell Congress!

Lou Dobbs is not the problem.

Old 03-01-2010, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Invested, hahahahaa. I guess that's the liberal's definition of stolen and IOU's put in its place. Tell me though, what are the government's plans to repay those IOU's to SS?
Probably something similar to the plans they've used in not missing a single penny of scheduled principal or interest payments in a well over 200-year history.

Can you meanwhile name any investment at all that is rated safer or more secure than these IOU's as you seem to want to call them?

Old 03-01-2010, 12:30 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times
Quote:
Anotherwords, there are 2 jobs available for every individual who will lose their benefits...

Anotherwords they will need to GET A JOB!!

Old 03-01-2010, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Can you meanwhile name any investment at all that is rated safer or more secure than these IOU's as you seem to want to call them?
Numerous of them..
Exxon
Johnson & Johnson
Microsoft
Automated Data Processing Inc...

While that debt from the US Govt is being considered for downgrading..

Old 03-01-2010, 12:36 PM

Quote:
It's March now and we have over 10% unemployment.
Well, I'll wait for the BLS report in April to see if that's right, but the number for January was 9.7% which is less than 10.0%

Quote:
Where are all these jobs you're talking about? You need to tell Congress!
They're in the South and West to a greater degree than the Midwest or Northeast. Congress already knows all about them. They keep up with stuff.

Quote:
Lou Dobbs is not the problem.
The recession is THE problem. Lou Dobbs is just A problem. We can still export his job, though. Every little bit helps.

Old 03-01-2010, 12:40 PM

Quote:
The recession is THE problem. Lou Dobbs is just A problem. We can still export his job, though. Every little bit helps.
Maybe we should consider exporting some government jobs.. just think how much it would save the american taxpayer.

Old 03-01-2010, 12:46 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,478,139 times
Quote:

huh

4 million jobs filled in december...am I reading that correctly

funny for the last 18 months there has yet to be one month that there were more jobs created than lost

january 22,000 more jobs lost than created
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies