Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 04:12 PM

37,158 posts, read 42,286,403 times

Advertisements

So silly. There is no point in time that was good for everyone and everything. Besides, any point in time can't be recaptured or recreated so whats the point in yearning for days gone by?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2010, 04:18 PM

1,417 posts, read 2,183,642 times
...things always get better for someone...no point in whining if it isn't you.
Attitude is everything, and if we don't like who we have become then we need to change- by looking ahead- not back.

Old 02-26-2010, 04:25 PM

1,417 posts, read 2,183,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Horsemen View Post
I disagree. first you don't even give a span of years, you just keep saying "nowadays"

Secondly, the country is debt up to our eyeballs "nowadays", it was hardly this bad in the 60's.

so I'm trying to see what exactly makes you say 'nowadays' is better?

Gangs running wild, crime is at all time high, kids dropping out of school at an alarming rate , teenage pregnancy the norm, 50 year war ongoing,
There have always been gangs...but movies have made us look back to moon-shining and gun-running as something quaint. Kids have always dropped out of school at an alarming rate. (In the past-very few people even graduated high school). Teen pregnancy was the norm throughout our American (and world) history.
We tend to view the world through what we "like" and "don't like" right now. People are people wherever you go.

Old 02-26-2010, 04:29 PM
zox

344 posts, read 479,647 times
I think the 1992-2001 was the best decade in our country's history. The economy was strong. The unemployment rate was hovering around 4%. And the type of jobs people had were high paying service oriented jobs due to the technology boom which lead to the use and development of other industries like banking and consumer goods. There was also increased peace world wide and we were not engaged in any war.

Old 02-26-2010, 04:42 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,241,188 times
I'd suggest the best period of time for the U.S. would be from 1792 continuing thru the present. Just because somebody had it good as some given point in time doesn't mean it was the best time for everybody.

As long as the U.S. has a debating Congress, a sitting SCOTUS and the right to challenge a President's administration then things are still buzzing along. May not be what we want but best I can tell there is still an election scheduled for November and primaries between now and then.

And what AnUnidentifiedMale and sxrckr said.

And hey, libruls haven't yet been able to shut down Fox News.

Old 02-26-2010, 05:28 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,047,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harhar View Post
Probably 10000 BCE - 1492 CE.

It was pretty awesome then. No pollution, completely isolationist, no taxes. Oh and all the buffalo you could eat!

Sure you might have to roam around a bit and watch for those annoying "spears in the back."

Old 02-26-2010, 05:53 PM

1,773 posts, read 1,268,838 times
I'm not sure why such negativity about how "the best days are long gone". How do you know, are you dead? There's still future eras to come, who knows how great it could be & on the flip side how awful it could be. No point in wallowing like a grumpy old man about "the good ole days" unless you have a time machine.

Old 02-26-2010, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Our best days are now. More freedom and opportunities for everybody, no matter what your background is.
Only if you have money, so I disagree because:

1.There are video cameras on every corner watching you and recording your tags.

2. We pay a form of income tax which is unconstitutional.

3. We have a degenerated culture (binge drinking, Drugs, random sex with strangers for fun).

4. Women can't stay at home to raise a family because 2 incomes are needed to maintain a BASIC standard of living.

5. Cops give out tickets for "offences" that don't hurt others like no seat belt tickets, loud music ect.

6. I need to register my gun and I need a permit to carry one concealed gun.

7. Cops are no longer PEACE OFFICERS but are now revenue generators for the city.

8. More people are in prison then any other time in American history! Remember, before the white man came to this land (well, the Minoans were here BEFORE 1492), there were NO SUCH THINGS as prisons. So much for the indians being "uncivilized".

9. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the government will confiscate gold in large amounts. I know they have done this in the past.

Hell, I could go on.... .... But anyway you only feel you are free because you have nothing to compare it to. The fact is that most of us are slaves in one way or another here in America. You don't pay rent, you are in the streets! You don't pay to register your car eventually it will be TAKEN from you. You don't pay your taxes the Government will come after you; and if you don't set up birth certificates, and other documentation, your children can't go to school.

Old 02-26-2010, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicket View Post
Teen pregnancy was the norm throughout our American (and world) history.
You know, my views have changed on teen pregnancy. It's normal for teens, full of hormones, to want and experience sex. Also, it's safer for a young girl to have a baby at 18 vs. 35.

The REAL problem with teen pregnancy is our labor system and the fact that it's hard for a young couple to find employment to sustain a nuclear family.

Old 02-26-2010, 06:00 PM

1,773 posts, read 1,268,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphous01 View Post

The REAL problem with teen pregnancy is our labor system and the fact that it's hard for a young couple to find employment to sustain a nuclear family.
Not to mention that I would bet that a majority of teenage guys have no interest in raising a child. Condoms people, condoms!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies