Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 05:24 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,793,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
While homeowners appreciate the beauty of their lawns, few recognize their environmental benefits.
  • » Erosion control
  • » Dust stabilization
  • » Precipitation capture for groundwater recharge
  • » Surface water quality improvement
  • » Soil restoration
  • » Heat dissipation and temperature moderation
  • » Noise abatement
  • » Improved entrapment and decomposition of synthetic chemical pollutants
  • » Glare reduction
  • » Sequestration of carbon dioxide
A well maintained turfgrass lawn can add as much as 15% to the value of a house.

Turfgrass traps and removes dust and dirt from the air. In fact, grass is responsible for trapping 12 million tons of dust each year that would otherwise contaminate the air.

A 2,500 square feet lawn releases enough oxygen for a family of four. Studies estimate the grass and trees along just the interstate highway system in the U.S. create enough oxygen each year to support 22 million people.

Turfgrass naturally cools the surrounding environment; in fact the grass in your lawn has the cooling effect of about 9 tons of air conditioning.

Turfgrass provides a great play area for family games and picnics.

The average suburban lawn can absorb 6,000 gallons of water before runoff occurs. This prevents the movement of soil into the creeks and rivers as well as fertilizer and other nutrients

I water my lawn and trees with well water.
Sounds like something someone would say if they made a living from wasting so many resources on lawns.

Virginia Green Lawn Care :: Benefits
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2010, 05:26 AM

4,563 posts, read 4,101,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyG View Post
I tend to think people will concern themselves with more pressing issues.
Water can become a pretty pressing issue when drought comes. Preparation is common sense.

Think about it, which would you want if a drought comes along, water for crops, or water for green lawns?

I think swimming pools should be included in restrictions.

Old 02-28-2010, 05:28 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,763,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by specialrequest View Post
Suburban America loves their green lawns. I tend to think in the future people will look back on the green lawns of suburban America that we are all familiar with in wonder-sort of how we look back at the sheer extravagance of ancient Rome, wondering at our dumping millions of gallons of PROCESSED DRINKING QUALITY water onto lawns(most of that evaporating due to improper application, millions of pounds of fertilizers(also most wasted due to improper application), using countless gallons of gasoline to power lawn mowers,etc. all for basically green outdoor carpeting-

Do you think that todays water laws will get stricter in the future to the point that suburban America will give up their lawns? Do you see a day when grass lawns will only be for the rich or for government buildings and the like? Maybe the artificial alternatives will catch on? Maybe people will embrace xeriscaping as the norm instead of grass?Maybe grass lawns will be banned?
Yes I see that day coming. It is already here kind of. We are allowed to water lawns only 3 days a week here now. Some counties have complete outdoor water bans. During the drought, which ended this year, some people converted their lawns to "bupdrip" which is more common in Arizona than the SE.

Old 02-28-2010, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
Water can become a pretty pressing issue when drought comes. Preparation is common sense.

Think about it, which would you want if a drought comes along, water for crops, or water for green lawns?

I think swimming pools should be included in restrictions.
The problem is that many people use swimming pools to excersize in and to loosen up bad joints- especially knees. Many times doctors tell them to use the pool 3 days a week to excersie their joints. If you take that away, it would drive up medical cost. Swimming pools and fountains are not really water hogs anyway. Most of the time they are filled only once.

Old 02-28-2010, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Yes and no. To regularly water the lawn to maintain a green lawn is wasteful, but in some areas like Communist like HOA areas, it is required by contract. A retired nurse was hauled off to jail for comtempt of court through legal actions of his HOA because of his brown lawn and his broken sprinkler system that he couldn't afford to repair. Some areas have gone native and are using native plants for their lawn instead of very thirsty grass and plants. BUT, in some areas, during droughts it is benefitial to your home to water the area around your home's foundation but that can be done with soaker hoses. With the excessive rains we've had recently, our problem is too much water. Ground was just starting to dry and we had heavy rains yesterday. It's rare that I water my lawn and usually it's because of a fire ant and or mosquito poison that requires watering right after applying.
Having served on an HOA, the HOA cannot override the law. If the county bans outdoor water use, that is that. The HOA cannot tell homeowners that they must break the law.

Old 02-28-2010, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
Most people over-water their lawns. There are people in my neighborhood who let their automatic sprinklers run while it's raining! They just don't shut them off.
I like the ones that don't shut them off when winter comes and put a big patch of ice on the adjoining sidewalks and street. They should have a sign that says "sue me".

Old 02-28-2010, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Price increases for water usage. That's the only way to significantly change things.
Not fair to the poor and people on fixed incomes that only use water to bathe and wash clothes with. A better method would be to LOWER rates for the first XXX amount of water used (XXX being what would normally be used to shower, sh*t, shave and wash dishes and clothes) and then RAISE the rates significantly for any amount used over XXX.

Old 02-28-2010, 08:22 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Swimming pools don't use as much water as you'd think. We have an above ground pool. After you fill it, you only empty 1/3 for the winter. So it takes three years to totally exchane the water. In warm climates, you may not even have to winterize them. Jumping in a pool of cool water is a great way to spend a hot summer afternoon.

Old 02-28-2010, 08:42 AM

3,283 posts, read 5,207,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Not fair to the poor and people on fixed incomes that only use water to bathe and wash clothes with. A better method would be to LOWER rates for the first XXX amount of water used (XXX being what would normally be used to shower, sh*t, shave and wash dishes and clothes) and then RAISE the rates significantly for any amount used over XXX.
this is the path to unsustainability in every single aspect of our society. i believe that people should pay for what things cost. that way if resources are tight one of three things happens. it incentivises the market to create more of those products, discourages waste and encourages alternative products.

this idea that prices must be subsidized so that some people can use them is unfair, it encourages waste, discourages people from producing more and kills off any effort to bring alternative products to market

Old 02-28-2010, 08:53 AM

4,077 posts, read 5,606,903 times
LOL, you use Google too!! It's all true though.

My point is that everyone has an angle and that this is more of a regional issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies